Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 11:36 PM

361 posts, read 397,949 times

Advertisements

I visited my doctor's office today, and his office is located near Tacoma General Hospital which is near downtown Tacoma area.

I have been to my doctor's office multiple times in the past, and have parked on the street, as finding parking in the parking structure tend to be difficult. I have always parked my SUV on the street without turning my front wheels towards the curb.'

Well today, I came back to my vehicle after my doctor's office visit as well as waiting for eternity at the pharmacy to get my medications.

I walked back to my SUV and saw a yellow envelope on my windshield, clamped down by one of my windshield wipers.

I thought it was some kind of business card or advertisement.

I looked closely and it was a parking citation. I was like "huh? there are no parking meters here, and the curb was not painted red,....nor was there a fire hydrant near that area."

I looked inside the envelope and there was a receipt-like paper stating the infraction. I had to look at the citation again, and laughed. It stated that my infraction was not turning my front wheels towards the curb. The cost of the infraction is $40.00. It's not a lot, but how the hell was I supposed to know this parking rule? The receipt-like citation also stated that the parking enforcement officer also took a photo of my front wheels not turned.

Anybody else here received this kind of parking citation dealing with not having your front wheels not turned towards the curb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 12:39 AM

905 posts, read 1,102,192 times
It's not a super strongly enforced law, but yes, it is the law here to turn your wheels towards the curb when parking on a slope/grade.

You might be able to have the fine mitigated if you've never gotten a ticket for this before. In any case, it's not a moving violation, at least.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:15 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,490,111 times
Ya gotta be a real dwoib ta give someone a ticket for not pointing their wheels towards the curb. Yikes.

Old 11-22-2017, 05:55 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,121,823 times
The whole purpose of this ticket is revenue collection.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
The whole purpose of this ticket is revenue collection.
As are most of the parking tickets, in fact the reason for parking meters. On the other hand, not turning the wheels to the curb can be hazardous and a legitimate reason for a ticket if on a hill. Especially with the recent Dodge transmission issues.

https://blog.caranddriver.com/fiat-c...hifter-design/

Old 11-22-2017, 08:07 AM

8,169 posts, read 8,291,410 times
As I drive a lot around the region, I've received a few "ticky tack" seemingly unnecessary parking tickets over the years. It always amuses me to see the meter policeperson vehicles parked at weird angles and in sometimes hazardous places. Perhaps a small measure of revenge: a couple of times I noted their infraction and left a handwritten "ticket" on their vehicle when they weren't looking.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:21 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
I visited my doctor's office today, and his office is located near Tacoma General Hospital which is near downtown Tacoma area.

I have been to my doctor's office multiple times in the past, and have parked on the street, as finding parking in the parking structure tend to be difficult. I have always parked my SUV on the street without turning my front wheels towards the curb.'

Well today, I came back to my vehicle after my doctor's office visit as well as waiting for eternity at the pharmacy to get my medications.

I walked back to my SUV and saw a yellow envelope on my windshield, clamped down by one of my windshield wipers.

I thought it was some kind of business card or advertisement.

I looked closely and it was a parking citation. I was like "huh? there are no parking meters here, and the curb was not painted red,....nor was there a fire hydrant near that area."

I looked inside the envelope and there was a receipt-like paper stating the infraction. I had to look at the citation again, and laughed. It stated that my infraction was not turning my front wheels towards the curb. The cost of the infraction is $40.00. It's not a lot, but how the hell was I supposed to know this parking rule? The receipt-like citation also stated that the parking enforcement officer also took a photo of my front wheels not turned.

Anybody else here received this kind of parking citation dealing with not having your front wheels not turned towards the curb?
I've heard of this. I don't know if you were parked on a hill, but even sometimes with a light grade to the street, they may ticket people who don't turn their wheels appropriately, for safety. I've completely forgotten about that part of the driver training, but I don't live in a hilly area. It's a good point to remember, though.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:28 PM

180 posts, read 321,581 times
If you were on any type in incline/decline, its common sense to point your wheels away from/towards the curb. If it was flat, then yeah, its a BS ticket.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:48 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Just because you haven't yet ended up chasing your SUV down the hill...

Old 11-22-2017, 07:05 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
I remember that rule from my 1982 Drivers Ed course and practice it every time I park on a hill. If the hood is pointed down the hill, you turn wheels in. If the nose is pointing up, turn the wheels out.

The intent is to have the curb stop the vehicle in case it begins rolling. I'm sure not as common of a hazard in today's vehicles as it was back in the good ol' days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area