Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 06:49 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,617 times

Advertisements

Just in the early stages of this, so checking out some information. If I end up relocating, I would probably want to live in Seattle proper and then commute to Federal Way. I heard the morning commute is not bad, but the afternoon one may not be as fun. I currently have a 25 mile commute each way in Houston which is pretty similar to the distance from Seattle to Federal Way. Houston also has horrendous traffic, so I'm not too worried about that.

I'm not concerned about weather - I'm British, so used to the drizzle-rain type stuff! It's not my favourite thing, but to be honest, I'd prefer 7-8 months of cloudy-rainy weather to 7-8 months of oppressively humid heat like we get here in Houston! I love the outdoors, and I find it horrible having to stay inside most of the Summer due to this! At least the temperatures are milder up there year-round and so much more interesting topo-wise.

Anyway, I was wondering about the commute and also which areas of Seattle would be good for a single guy. I heard Capitol Hill is nice. I probably wouldn't spend more than $1200 on an apartment - don't mind a studio, but I'd prefer a more modern place. So, if anyone knows the good parts, knows of some nice apartments in the area, or if anyone could tell me the locations in central Seattle to avoid, that would be fantastic.

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: Sorry about the 'thumbs down' Icon... for some reason I thought it was a "?", lol... I changed it to a smiley face but it doesn't seem to want to change!

Last edited by mrman78; 03-24-2008 at 07:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 10:13 PM

87 posts, read 301,533 times
Federal Way is a good place to work, you'll enjoy it. The commute in the morning will be better than the afternoon commute but really to some extent its a reverse commute for you except around the King County Airport into and out of Seattle - that area is conjested on both sides of the commute.

If you can take the bus into the Federal Way Transit Center, that will be best. I live in Federal Way (work out of my home) but my office is in downtown Seattle and I also have to commute occasionally into Redmond. I used to live in Redmond and prefer Federal Way (lower cost, more culture, housing is affordable). I dont have kids so the school issue in Federal Way is not a concern but several folks here enroll them in private schools in the area.

Cheers.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:42 PM

8 posts, read 37,982 times
Default Working in Fed Way

If I were you I'd just live in Federal Way. It's much easier to get to the beach and the outdoors that you love and you wouldn't have to commute. A few things about Capital Hill: it's a predominantly gay neighborhood, and an astounding number of people are killed there on an annual basis. I'd recomend relocating somewhere closer to work.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:05 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,062,322 times
Quote:
A few things about Capital Hill: it's a predominantly gay neighborhood, and an astounding number of people are killed there on an annual basis
Where do you get this information?

I mean, yes, Capital Hill is known as the "gayborhood" in Seattle - but I wouldn't say it's "predominately" anything.... it's a mix, as is all of the city. The businesses, however, that say they cater to gay individuals are in this area (bars and whatnot) but as for the people living there.... there are some that are gay, and some that are not.... like every other neighborhood in Seattle.

What's the ASTOUNDING number of murders specifically in the Capital Hill area? You can't count the random shootings of all those people at that house party a few years back - as that was so out of the norm for the area.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:14 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
....And I've heard that Federal Way is dangerous. From my perspective, if you're looking for an area that's vibrant and active, Capitol Hill is a good bet...Maybe parts of DC or Detroit are scary, but Capitol Hill???
So if you're going to live in Seattle proper and commute to Federal Way, I'd suggest living within a 10-15 minute drive from downtown Seattle, and that could include Capitol Hill, First Hill,Beacon Hill, Central District, Columbia City, and Fremont, which still retains some of it's trademark fun-craziness.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:51 PM

10 posts, read 42,376 times
I'd also say that Capital Hill is "predominately gay" neighborhood. very welcoming to all types though.

I'd also say that Fed Way can have a dangerous reputation. My girlfriend went to high school there, and when we tease her for knowing every-single-lyric to hardcore rap from the alte 90's she just says, "I'm from Fed Way yo"

Check out Fremont, Queen Anne, Belletown if you want to live downtown and commute. I'm not sure about time commuting from Sea to Fed Way (my friend does the opposit and takes the 7:00am train in from Auburn/Fed Way to Seattle)

Old 04-27-2008, 11:20 AM

72 posts, read 300,315 times
Capitol Hill is a very cool neighborhood. It's worth looking into.

Based on what you wrote, you sound like you really want to experience the city of Seattle and don't mind the reverse commute to the suburbs for work. I'll be doing the same thing when I relocate (heading to a town right next to Federal Way). I'd rather live in a city neighborhood than the suburbs, and I don't mind having to drive out to work and back each day. Capitol Hill, Queen Anne, and Greenlake are among the neighborhoods we're looking at.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:11 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,617 times
Thanks so much for all your replies! Now I just have to wait and see if this job works out...

Old 04-29-2008, 09:55 AM

3 posts, read 10,782 times
I'd look for a small house in North East Tacoma- North East Tacoma boarders Federal Way and King county, but it is in Pierce county so you pay fewer taxes. The water is about 3 min away and when you want the big city life- it's just 20 min away on I-5- then your job would be no commute time at all.
Good luck with the job.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:54 AM

29 posts, read 240,664 times
Smile Federal Way Commute

Your commute depends on you work schedule. I work south of the city at a boeing plant. I work very early by choice, so 15 minutes in the morning and 30 after work if I leave by 3pm. I live 14 miles away. What do you want in an area. I lived in seattle for 5 months then bought a place in des moines which is north of federal way and right next to puget sound so there are many beach access points. About 15 minutes to south center, which is a large shopping area and has resturants as well as being about 20- 25 minutes fro downtown. West seattle is great too, but more pricey, especially since all main streets will now have meters. Depends your age, what you are looking for at first. I wanted to be close to the water, the city and shopping, but be in a low crime area. Federal Way is crowded so I avoided living there, but I do shop there. If you want active nigtlife capital hill is it and some of bell town, but my fiancee and I just drive since we are there in about 25 minutes, which is only 5-10 minutes longer then when we lived in the greenwood area of seattle. IM me if you need help. I know a few friends ad I would be more then happy to help, since I came to seattle alone at first and no I am not a real estate agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area