Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 03:50 PM

184 posts, read 551,594 times

Advertisements

Seattle is as glorious as ever. I just got back into town from a 5 day visit to Seattle with the lady. We were seriously sad when driving to SEATAC last night.

For our trip, we stayed downtown at the Red Lion on 5th and Pike. A very nice hotel with a VERY good central location..but watch out: They charge guests $28 a night for parking

The biggest plus of Seattle: We walked EVERYWHERE Seattle is such a pedestrian friendly city that walking all over the place was a breeze. Not to mention the hustle and bustle of the city made it so much more exciting and fun.

We went to Pike Place Market every day, visited the Boeing Musuem which was amazing! Took an Argosy harbor tour which provided spetacular picture opportunities. We even went to the Seattle Aquarium which was nice. Took the Monorail over to the Space Needle and visited Pacific Science Center and watched an IMAX 3d film on the Grand Canyon which was good but I really wanted to watch the Antartica one...oh well

My favorite part though was visiting all the different neighborhoods around Seattle. We would go into places like Queen Ann and walk all over, taking pictures which even rivals Pwrights

West Seattle was beautiful. The combination of beaches, water, mountains and city scenes made for some breathtaking pictures and incredible strolls along the sidewalk. We went to West Seattle everyday for some coffee and picture opportunities.

Lincoln Park: WOW! I don't even know what to say. This is a large park in West Seattle which is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. I recomend everybody visit this park. Other nice neighborhoods we visited was Capitol Hill, University District, Magnolia, and Ballard. We even drove to Medina to try and spot Bill Gates Incredible neighborhood to.

Ok, now for the FAQs:

Weather: It was very nice. The best part was the air temp: varied between 38 and 55 the entire time we were ther 3/19 to 3/24 The first day we arrived in the morning and it was partly cloudy. Then the sun began to come out, when all of a sudden it began to sprinkle. The sprinkles picked up to a light rain which continued for about 1 hour. Then it stopped, the clouds broke up and the sun began to peek through again.

The remaining days were all sunny with not a drop of rain during the day or evening. Easter Sunday was rainy in the morning until about 1pm. Then once again the rain stopped, the clouds broke apart and the sun came out. And everything was left fresh, clean, and green. People were always out and about, the parks were always full, and the coffee shops always crowded.

The People: Seriously, I don't know who started the Seattle Freeze myth but in all my time in Seattle I have never experienced it. Not even when I lived there a few years ago. This last trip was no different. Everybody we encountered were SUPER FRIENDLY.

One day we were taking pictures of houses out in West Seattle when the home owner was coming home, stopped and invited us in He took us all through his house, showing us all the rooms, views, and the backyard.

Out in Queen Ann a similar thing happened when we were walking past a nice house and a woman was outside tending to her garden. I commented that I liked her house and she struck up a long conversation with us, eventually taking us inside to show us around.

Everybody was like that. We would talk to somebody and they would begin these long conversations with us, very friendly. One thing was common with EVERYBODY we spoke to: They all LOVED Seattle. Every single person we met and talked to, and there were many said they loved Seattle and couldn't live anywhere else.

Misc things: The food was all great and fresh. Most restaurants had food so fresh they printed new menus everyday with that day's date on the top. The coffee was incredible and all the pastries very tasty. Pacific Place Mall was nice but my favorite still is West Lake Mall. I wanted to do the underground Seattle tour but didn't have time...so that is on my "next time" list. As is going up to Mt Rainier park.

All in all Seattle is a great city with beautiful scenery, good food, nice people, and good weather. Some people may not like the fact that it may rain a little everyday or even be cloudy for days. I not only don't mind but love that kind of weather. The trees grow as tall as the eye can see and are green year round. On multiple sides are snow capped mountain ranges, beautiful water, and an amazing city. As soon as I finish settling in I will post some of my pictures from our trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 04:07 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
Glad you enjoyed your visit, I can almost hear the naysayers salivating at the chance to respond . Too bad you weren't around on Monday, it was an absolutely gorgeous day, much better than Sunday.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:30 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,896 times
Who are the naysayers? I think most of them have gone away. It's possible to not be 100% positive all the time and not be a naysayer.

Glad you enjoyed your visit!

Old 03-25-2008, 11:36 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Who are the naysayers? I think most of them have gone away. It's possible to not be 100% positive all the time and not be a naysayer.

Glad you enjoyed your visit!
Take a look at the Seattle Freeze thread....This post flies in the face of what alot of people are saying there, so I am sure they would beg to differ with Ambassador regarding the friendliness of the residents. Those are the naysayers.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:38 PM

474 posts, read 1,455,042 times
Default Move back!

You clearly get that Seattle 'buzz' that affects those of us that love this place... that great feeling of being OUT in Seattle and not hiding out waiting for the weather to 'clear'. So much to see... so much to do...

Congrats to you, and for pete's sake, move back! Hopefully in my neighborhood.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:40 AM

38 posts, read 180,068 times
I just moved here about 6 months ago, with much trepidation (thanks partly to these boards!) but I've got to say I love it. I haven't experienced any of the negative things I read about before coming here. Even the weather hasn't bothered me as much as I feared. I'll always be a New Yorker at heart, but Seattle really is a great place to live.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:26 AM

184 posts, read 551,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_mom View Post
I just moved here about 6 months ago, with much trepidation (thanks partly to these boards!) but I've got to say I love it. I haven't experienced any of the negative things I read about before coming here. Even the weather hasn't bothered me as much as I feared. I'll always be a New Yorker at heart, but Seattle really is a great place to live.
I understand how you feel. This Seattle forum can cause great concern for somebody who has never been to Seattle or is considering moving there. That is unfortunate since it is such a great city with so much to offer.

SaltyDawg; what neighborhood do you live in? I am definently moving back to Seattle, probably won't be until next year though. My current favorite neighborhoods are West Seattle,Belltown, Downtown, Queen Ann, Ballard, and the U. District...not in any particular order.

I'll be renting to start, probably an Apartment but I want to eventually purchase a home, although I have noticed that townhomes in Seattle tend to be more affordable so I may go that route. Either way I'm looking forward to a move soon and returning for visits often.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:30 PM

686 posts, read 3,715,544 times
Glad you enjoyed Seattle!!! It is truly my favorite city in the whole world. Everything about Seattle is great. Can't wait to move up there. It is a truly fantastic place to visit and live.

Daniel

Old 03-27-2008, 01:56 PM
aeh

318 posts, read 1,621,434 times
We're still considering moving to Seattle and I must admit that I am teirrified to move there after what I have read on these boards--I am an extrovert and do like the sun!!! Gladf to see some positive threads about it....

Old 03-27-2008, 02:24 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeh View Post
We're still considering moving to Seattle and I must admit that I am teirrified to move there after what I have read on these boards--I am an extrovert and do like the sun!!! Gladf to see some positive threads about it....
Depending on how much you like the sun and how important it is for you, you may want to reconsider.

I was talking to someone the other day about how alot of people say Seattle is beautiful and Texas is flat, not pretty at all. I told them, well, I have bigger things on my mind when choosing a place to live besides scenery. If you are a sun worshipper, like I am, this weather will get to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area