Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 01:47 AM

52 posts, read 183,047 times

Advertisements

If there was one place in that I would move to it would be Seattle. I love it there. I wish Phoenix area was near water and wasn't so hot in the summer. If Phoenix was green it would be cool. But Seattle has the nicest people that I have meet. Every time I go there I makes me want to move there. I love all the places to eat, the cool bars, great seafood, amazing views, love the culture. I really can't say anything bad about Seattle. I wish I was there!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 11:32 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,703,067 times
Trade you in a heart beat

Old 01-04-2009, 12:34 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,762 times
Seattle does have its pluses and minuses. I loved how pretty it was in the summer and how the environment seems calmer in comparison. Not to mention the beautiful marinas outside of Seattle and the two bridges at night are pretty cool looking. There's also a bit of an artsy feel to the area as well.

I lived there for a couple of months, but after that I had to leave mostly because the social life I found in Seattle wasn't exactly my cup of tea. I suppose if I didn't live in a posh suburb and lived in the downtown area it might have been different, but a lot of the people I met did not really get into the whole socializing scene outside of clubs. They were polite and if I talked to them they would talk to me, but afterwards they would mostly go about their own day and were not interested in making friends. Also, in the area I lived in the people got upset at me for talking to strangers because "if you talk to them they'll think you're flirting" and "you have to be careful b/c you could get shot. It's a violent place!" I mean, I'm sure there are some shootings, but they were telling me things such as kids were getting gunned down by just throwing snowballs and such. I know it was probably exaggerations, but I'm the kind of person who needs to go out and socialize and make new friends and some of the people I met there were actually reluctant to invite their own friends over and mostly kept to themselves.

If Seattle were more social, had a better employment market in my field, and had lower taxes (seriously, King Co. has high taxes and no one knows where the money is going since they revamped the system) I probably would still be living there. I think Seattle might be a good break for you from AZ, but I also recommend living there for at least a couple of weeks if not a month before deciding to spend a ton of money to move. It has its definite pluses and minuses, and my experience will probably be different from yours since you probably have friends in the area and are not trying to be a southerner forcing her way into the social scene. Best of luck!

Old 01-04-2009, 04:44 PM

263 posts, read 1,079,234 times
Default What you wish for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azms2007 View Post
If there was one place in that I would move to it would be Seattle. I love it there. I wish Phoenix area was near water and wasn't so hot in the summer. If Phoenix was green it would be cool. But Seattle has the nicest people that I have meet. Every time I go there I makes me want to move there. I love all the places to eat, the cool bars, great seafood, amazing views, love the culture. I really can't say anything bad about Seattle. I wish I was there!!!!!

I'm an Arizonan, too! You know, I really hate to tell people that live in Phoenix this, but Phoenix is a desert. I mean, if that doesn't say it all then I don't know what will. Everyone there always wants it to not be what it is.... Where would you rather live, London, or Baghdad? It's really that simple if you ask me.

It is so damn hot even in Janaury...drive me bonkers!! Hate the heat and the ugly brown.

Last edited by mikec34; 01-04-2009 at 05:07 PM..

Old 01-04-2009, 05:13 PM

319 posts, read 1,911,520 times
I'm still liking Seattle (moved from Arizona last summer). Can't see it as a long-term place to live unless we can really bump up our salaries--I see no way we could ever live the dream with being homeowners with kids with one of us staying home. We're still barely making it because of student loan debt.

The weather is still great in my eyes but I know it will eventually get old. I'm anxious for spring now more because I have a tortoise and want to take him outside, more than actually wanting it to be sunnier/warmer. I miss the longer days and light during the day in Arizona (even in winter) more than the actual sunniness and heat!

Haven't made any true friends yet, but I encounter great people at work and out shopping, etc.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:13 PM

573 posts, read 1,452,168 times
Hey---be careful what you wish for. I would trade you in a heart beat. Do not get me wrong----Seattle has good things but also not so good. Friendly people would not be a plus. They seem that way at first===see Seattle freeze thread. Right now it is snowing. Wish you the best====

Old 01-04-2009, 10:38 PM

319 posts, read 1,911,520 times
I wished for snow for this winter (never have seen more than a few inches). I don't think I'll ever wish for snow again after that "blizzard!" Seattle isn't set up for snow.

It's too bad people are too darn busy to do anything around here. Maybe it's a sign they appreciate quality time with their families?

Old 01-04-2009, 10:42 PM

52 posts, read 183,047 times
I would take cold winters than 115 in the summer that lasts 8 months of the year. I get depressed in the summer cause of the heat sucks after awhile. I have lived in Phoenix area for 7 years and it sucks every year the summer starts earlier like (Easter) and lasts to Halloween. You will find that 100 plus for that long sucks!!!!! You really can't do anything when it is that hot. I have to wake up at 4am to go hiking and at that time it is 95 out or you do stuff at 8pm which is 95 outside. You better have a great a/c in your car or you will not make it. The air here is not the greatest the brown ring around Phoenix is gross.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:25 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azms2007 View Post
I would take cold winters than 115 in the summer that lasts 8 months of the year. I get depressed in the summer cause of the heat sucks after awhile. I have lived in Phoenix area for 7 years and it sucks every year the summer starts earlier like (Easter) and lasts to Halloween. You will find that 100 plus for that long sucks!!!!! You really can't do anything when it is that hot. I have to wake up at 4am to go hiking and at that time it is 95 out or you do stuff at 8pm which is 95 outside. You better have a great a/c in your car or you will not make it. The air here is not the greatest the brown ring around Phoenix is gross.
Great, move to Seattle and buy my house!

Old 01-05-2009, 10:49 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,703,067 times
Feel free to buy mine too!!

now 115 for 8 months does sound daunting, I lived in 110 for 2 months a year and it's enough

But I still got out - it's MUCH easier to get out and do things in super hot weather then drizzly weather under 50 degrees for 8 months of the year

I don't do outdoor activities until 70 degrees out. I used to bike everywhere - now I only bike in July and August
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area