Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2018, 10:34 AM

91 posts, read 140,100 times

Advertisements

We recently moved back to the US after 12 years as expats. Our kids are 13 and 15 years old - one in 9th grade now, one in 8th grade. We chose Atlanta for my husband’s job as it’s a big base for his company, however, we could also move to the Seattle area. We also liked the cost of living, the four seasons and the schools.

Since arriving here we’ve met some wonderful people but we’ve also become aware of some things that are a little different for us. We aren’t church people but people here mostly are. Social networks seem to be built around church. The recent gun debate meant some school districts (including ours) punished kids with suspensions. I’m okay with consequences but most districts didn’t treat the kids so harshly. I think we’re a little too liberal for the area. I guess we had an idea of the southern stereotypes before we got here but we wanted to keep an open mind. Ultimately the southern hospitality we’ve encountered here is definitely true and is something that i’m grateful for.

The high school my son is in is like a pressure cooker. It’s a public high school but many kids do zero period, some end up doing 13-15 APs and 30% of graduating seniors have GPAs over 4.0. I’m all for a great education and a challenge but it seems a little extreme.

We’re at the point where we should be buying a house soon but we’re all a little unsettled. We’re planning a short five day trip to Gig Harbor and Maple Valley at the end of May to see the areas for ourselves. We need the following

1. Good schools
2. Housing between 400-550k
3. Within 45min-1 hour to SEATAC
4. Safe

What can you all tell us about the areas? About the schools? Will a new 10th grader be welcomed? My husband won’t be traveling to the airport everyday and he can often avoid rush hour. We don’t mind rain but I am curious as to the constant drizzle I’ve heard about. We’re hoping to experience some of that when we’re there in May. We were in Seattle in September 2015 and loved it but we happened upon a week of amazing weather!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 01:03 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expataussie View Post
We recently moved back to the US after 12 years as expats. Our kids are 13 and 15 years old - one in 9th grade now, one in 8th grade. We chose Atlanta for my husband’s job as it’s a big base for his company, however, we could also move to the Seattle area. We also liked the cost of living, the four seasons and the schools.

Since arriving here we’ve met some wonderful people but we’ve also become aware of some things that are a little different for us. We aren’t church people but people here mostly are. Social networks seem to be built around church. The recent gun debate meant some school districts (including ours) punished kids with suspensions. I’m okay with consequences but most districts didn’t treat the kids so harshly. I think we’re a little too liberal for the area. I guess we had an idea of the southern stereotypes before we got here but we wanted to keep an open mind. Ultimately the southern hospitality we’ve encountered here is definitely true and is something that i’m grateful for.

The high school my son is in is like a pressure cooker. It’s a public high school but many kids do zero period, some end up doing 13-15 APs and 30% of graduating seniors have GPAs over 4.0. I’m all for a great education and a challenge but it seems a little extreme.

We’re at the point where we should be buying a house soon but we’re all a little unsettled. We’re planning a short five day trip to Gig Harbor and Maple Valley at the end of May to see the areas for ourselves. We need the following

1. Good schools
2. Housing between 400-550k
3. Within 45min-1 hour to SEATAC
4. Safe

What can you all tell us about the areas? About the schools? Will a new 10th grader be welcomed? My husband won’t be traveling to the airport everyday and he can often avoid rush hour. We don’t mind rain but I am curious as to the constant drizzle I’ve heard about. We’re hoping to experience some of that when we’re there in May. We were in Seattle in September 2015 and loved it but we happened upon a week of amazing weather!
Hi Aussie,

Maple Valley is probably a better fit, Gig Harbor would be a considerably longer commute. You might consider places like Burien and Des Moines as well. Maple Valley probably is the best overall fit for your needs, schools are good, most people say it is very welcoming. I'm from the south originally, have been in the Seattle area 28 years. That whole "religious" welcome thing is a little bizarre, often very welcoming until they figure out you are a little different than them. It's mostly live and let live in the Pacific Northwest, should feel refreshing to you in that way. Best wishes with the transition.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:15 PM

I like the sound of live, and let live! To be fair I haven’t felt pressure to join a church, but in conversations church and knowing people through church comes up a lot. We enjoy the outdoors, the odd meal out and relaxing at brew pubs and coffee houses, i’m guessing there’s a bit of that around WA! Living on the west coast is also appealing for someone trying to get back to Australia now and again.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:26 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Quote:
I like the sound of live, and let live! To be fair I haven’t felt pressure to join a church, but in conversations church and knowing people through church comes up a lot. We enjoy the outdoors, the odd meal out and relaxing at brew pubs and coffee houses, i’m guessing there’s a bit of that around WA! Living on the west coast is also appealing for someone trying to get back to Australia now and again.
Indeed, most Aussies I know who live here like it. From Maple Valley, you can drive pretty easily toward Mt Rainier and find great trailheads and very good skiing at Crystal Mountain.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:24 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
On the rain, it is mainly in late fall to spring. In a typical winter week, expect meaningful precipitation during 3 days and a day of light precip. It will mostly be rain but also some snow. By slow drizzle, folks mean hour after hour after of drizzle. In southern US it tends to dump then clear up and then maybe dump again.

This http://komonews.com/weather/scotts-w...not-even-close
says when it rains, it rains for an average for 5 hours per day. It will seem like it sometimes rains for weeks or months without much break (more true out on the exposed coast) but there are usually gaps. Skies will probably still be cloudy and days this far north are short in winter.

Visit in winter if you can or just read a month of past winter weather at an internet site.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-20-2018 at 06:38 PM..

Old 04-20-2018, 07:48 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,668,443 times
By chance is hubby working for Delta?

You guys sorta match the description of a neighbor... that neighbor used to live in Issaquah. They were about to move to Atlanta (Delta) because it's a little cheaper and to be closer to family, but at the last minute they changed their minds. The kids really like living here. Instead they moved to Maple Valley.

Oh, wanted to add that they moved to Maple Valley when the kids were going into 11th and 7th grades. The older one is doing just fine. The younger one struggled a little bit, but then again, he was always a bit moody and serious... I don't fault the transition.

Old 04-21-2018, 01:20 PM

Yes, we’re a Delta family. Good to hear the 11th grader settled into the HS. If we did this, the kids would be heading into 9th and 10th grade. Anyone know the number of students at Tahoma HS? I know they went 9-12th grade this year with the new building. Our son’s current HS has around 2700 students.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:52 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Quote:
Yes, we’re a Delta family. Good to hear the 11th grader settled into the HS. If we did this, the kids would be heading into 9th and 10th grade. Anyone know the number of students at Tahoma HS? I know they went 9-12th grade this year with the new building. Our son’s current HS has around 2700 students.
Tahoma HS has about 1800 students.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:56 PM

486 posts, read 842,689 times
I moved from New Mexico to Maple Valley in 2011 with girls going into 10th and 11th grade. They never had a problem fitting into Tahoma High School.

They met great friends the 2-3 years they were there. Even though they only went to school there for a short time and graduated in 2013 & 2014, they have best friends from there.

Even though they have since moved back to New Mexico, they kept those friends. One of the girls even has her high school best friend as her roommate living together in New Mexico.

I loved living in Maple Valley and would have never moved to Spokane if it wasn't for the commute into downtown Seattle and the house was too big just for the wife and I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area