Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 07:27 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,008 times

Advertisements

The Mariners have now scored more than half a billion dollars in public subsidies for one stadium | Field of Schemes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 04:38 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRamon View Post
glad we got to vote on this.
Agreed. It was Rod Dembowski who asked that the issue be put before the voters. Knocking down from $180 million to $135 million suggests it was not even a legit negotiation process.

Voting yes were Kathy Lambert, Reagan Dunn, Claudia Balducci, Joe McDermott, and Pete von Reichbauer.
County exec Dow Constantine was also on board.

Agree or disagree, be sure to "remember in November." None of the council members are up for election this year. Gossett, Kohl-Wells, Balducci, and McDermott are all up for election in 2019. The others aren't up until 2021. To find out who your member is:

https://www.kingcounty.gov/council/c..._district.aspx

Old 09-18-2018, 04:40 PM

From my view, Rod Dembowski deserves great credit for his leadership on this matter, even though he failed in the end.

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/201...rs-135-dollars
Quote:
“I am profoundly disappointed,” Dembowski said. “The foundation of this legislation was put together in a room behind closed doors and rolled out in the middle of a hearing without any opportunity for public comment. We had a dozen other amendments shared for the first time while we were on this dias. I think it says something about what’s going on with the ultimate result. It’s not the best product that we are delivering. I will be proudly voting no.”
Dembowski for King County Exec, 2021!

Old 09-18-2018, 04:44 PM

This also was an obvious 'ram it through' process, much like the state legislature did when the M's stadium was first authorized (after being rejected by voters). Again from the Stranger

Quote:
One notable moment was when Council Member Pete von Reichbauer accidentally gave an affirmative vote to one such amendment. His colleague, Council Member Reagan Dunn looked down the line at him.
“Pete,” Dunn said. “You meant to vote no.”

Von Reichbauer, flustered, quickly changed his vote.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:29 AM

1,487 posts, read 782,215 times
They don't deserve it. I wish they would leave. They're too high maintenance. Bye, and take your losing karma with you. This way, it leaves more room for hockey. 🏆

Old 09-23-2018, 08:31 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
https://www.seattleweekly.com/news/k...-safeco-field/

For those who weren't here in 1995, a vote was held in King County on building a new, tax-funded stadium for the Mariners. Voters rejected it. The state legislature turned around and rammed through funding for the stadium, IIRC a coalition of Democrats and suburban Republicans.

After that the Seahawks demanded and got a separate new stadium. That one was voted on and passed, but by just 51.15%.

Next the Sonics demanded a new stadium, even though KeyArena had just been through a complete gut-and-rebuild in 1995. With the new football and baseball stadiums, the Sonics were losing their corporate lux-box business. But because of wide anti-stadium sentiment, it was never even put to a vote, and so the Sonics left. For a while there, taxpayers were paying off 4 pro-sports stadiums (including the KingDome, which was not paid off until well after it was torn down). And Howard Shultz & co. wanted to add a fifth to the bill.

Now the M's are seeking another $180 million of tax revenue to pay for maintenance of the stadium. So far it appears to have the support of County Exec Dow Constantine and several County Council members.

If you wish to express an opinion on this, contact your County Council member. If you don't know whom he/she is, you can find out and get contact info here.
https://www.kingcounty.gov/council/c..._district.aspx
I've never understood this about Seattle. Always new stadiums, always a ballot measure that people fight about, or turn down. This doesn't exist in San Francisco, not at all at the frequency it does in Seattle, and it's not controversial, on the rare occasion the issue comes up.And the CA State legislature has never rammed a stadium down a city's throat. The politics of sports and stadiums in Seattle seems bizarre.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've never understood this about Seattle. Always new stadiums, always a ballot measure that people fight about, or turn down. This doesn't exist in San Francisco, not at all at the frequency it does in Seattle, and it's not controversial, on the rare occasion the issue comes up.And the CA State legislature has never rammed a stadium down a city's throat. The politics of sports and stadiums in Seattle seems bizarre.
It seems that to me too. I recall in the early 2000s, we were still paying off the Kingdome after it had been torn down. We built tax-funded baseball & football stadiums right around 2000. We had done a total gut & rebuild of Keyarena for the Sonics in 1995. Less then 10 years later, NBA commish Stern, and owner Howard Shultz demanded yet another new basketball palace. That time there was too much public opposition. Politicos were to frightened to even put the matter before the voters, so the team moved to OKC.

If that had gone through, taxpayers would have been funding 5, (count em', 5) pro-sports stadiums concurrently.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:46 PM

I didn't click the link, but I bet that the $.5 billion figure is understated. They normally don't include financing costs, which after all must be paid by taxpayers. I recall that fine Seattle Weekly writer investigative Rick Anderson did a piece long ago on this. He concluded that the Seahawks stadium had actually cost taxpayers about $1 billion.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:34 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
If that had gone through, taxpayers would have been funding 5, (count em', 5) pro-sports stadiums concurrently.

Thing is, the one for the Sonic's new stadium would've been worth it many times over.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:43 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,008 times
looks like another sports stadium rip off is on its way to Seattle in the near future

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/2018/1...c7JSAneBjb44_Y
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area