Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 09:46 AM

236 posts, read 289,468 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Our hot tub ( previous seller installed it) has died and I was wondering if not replacing it would decrease the value of our house. The hot tube has a separate wood deck around it so it looks like it is in-ground and very nice. I don’t know if we could get the same size hot tub and put it in so as not to redo the decking.

If we don’t replace the hot tub we would likely need to put in cement patio where the deck was? Or something else.

We live in an upscale development on the Eastside and I want to make sure we do everything we can to keep our home’s value should we want to move in about 5-10 years.

Two other notes, the yard is big so we have the space. Also, we very rarely used the hot tub, this would likely be mostly for resell.

1. Does having a hot tub increase the value or desireability of a home here in the eastside suburbs?

2. Should I replace it?

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by modc; 10-14-2018 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 10:40 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modc View Post
Hi,

Our hot tub ( previous seller installed it) has died and I was wondering if not replacing it would decrease the value of our house. The hot tube has a separate wood deck around it so it looks like it is in-ground and very nice. I don’t know if we could get the same size hot tub and put it in so as not to redo the decking.

If we don’t replace the hot tub we would likely need to put in cement patio where the deck was? Or something else.

We live in an upscale development on the Eastside and I want to make sure we do everything we can to keep our home’s value should we want to move in about 5-10 years.

Two other notes, the yard is big so we have the space. Also, we very rarely used the hot tub, this would likely be mostly for resell.

1. Does having a hot tub increase the value or desireability of a home here in the eastside suburbs?

2. Should I replace it?

Thanks for your input!
Get rid of it, especially if you don't use it. Won't affect resale value if it isn't there and people don't think of it. Cement patio with a bistro table can look really cool when you sell a home and won't cost nearly as much as a new hot tub.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:47 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Hi,

What does "died" mean?

I had a hot tub put in back in 2013 or so, above ground, along with a shed because I had a concrete pad serving little purpose. Previous owner, who knows why it's there but it was nicely done.

The hot tub is used and full refurb, buying new doesn't make tons of sense for those things, at 2/3 the cost. Other than blowing heaters until I figured out what the problem was, it's been mostly trouble free.

So...have you had a reputable shop out there running diagnostics on sub sections of the unit? When I self-diagnosed my heating element problems, I discovered nothing there is rocket science. You just need to know the components and isolate each for diagnosis, starting with the 220V power. Like most trades, not super complicated in the details, but it's heavy/hard work and I applaud strong men who do this (and other trades!)

Unlike you, mine is damn near daily use. Wish I had a flush mounted deck, but I've chosen not to have a gazebo-like structure built up to mine...would be nice, though. I can think of few climates better for hot tubs. I dump chemicals in when it starts to stink, which is about weekly as hydrogen sulfide or hell knows what starts to grow; it's a petri dish and chlorine/bromine wipes out the colony again. A sump pump empties it in a couple hours and a hose, some detergent for hot tubs, and a couple scrub pads makes that a job for a Saturday afternoon 2x/year when it gets dirty. I do this first nice spring day and then again high summer, it's fine.

So, if some busted out worthless crap that hadn't run in years was in the back of a property I liked on the Eastside, I'd have an estimate done to remove the refuse in-toto, call it $1,500-2,500 off price of the home on the inspection mostly for the heavy labor. So, uh, either have it hauled off now or find one of several hot tub dealers (Eastside or whatnot) I am certain are "not" frauds to get it working. That data is out there. Just pulled my invoice from Google Drive: a solid $3,800 spent on an excellent home improvement. It draws 220V periodically for the pumps, blower, and heater, so my electric bill is probably up somewhat, but that's not super expensive in this area.

Others pretty obviously *ARE* frauds, run by yuck yuck howya doin' mister Millennial kids trying to close sales on idiots for $7K, similar to the "timeshare" racket. I've run into not one but two of those, just keep away and walk out.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:31 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,680 times
Having or not having isn't going to greatly impact resale, from my research in the past. I wouldn't replace it if you won't get use out of it.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:28 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,912,451 times
If you don't use it, take it out. I wish we had done so. Our first home in Seattle had a hot tub built into an elaborate deck, but we never once used it and it was dead wasted space to us for years. We eventually sold that home at a discount to close friends who tore it out immediately, much much better.

Honestly, even if we were frequent hot tub users, the thought of using a previous owner's existing hot tub put us off.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:32 PM

236 posts, read 289,468 times
Thanks for the advice everyone! I will check to see about the repair possibilities again and then reassess. Did anyone buy a house because it already had a hot tub? Did it play a role
In you wanting the house?

Old 10-16-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice everyone! I will check to see about the repair possibilities again and then reassess. Did anyone buy a house because it already had a hot tub? Did it play a role
In you wanting the house?

Mod, just gonna chime in one more time here, from the perspective of someone who is in the trenches and sees how buyers react. When imagining future buyers for your home, you need to cast the net as widely as you can to achieve the best result. Yes, there may be 10% of buyers who like hot tubs a lot. I can tell you though that 90% don't care, and I bet 25% of them don't want a hot tub. Almost ALL buyers love a nice little patio with a table and chairs.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 10-16-2018 at 02:46 PM..

Old 10-16-2018, 02:40 PM

806 posts, read 604,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
I can't tell you though that 90% don't care, and I bet 25% of them don't want a hot tub. Almost ALL buyers love a nice little patio with a table and chairs.
Homey, is "can't" a typo?

I got rid of our 10 year old money pit of a hot tub on craigslist because I thought it was a hindrance to a sale if anything. I would rather have a brand new one than someone's old one.

Old 10-16-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
Homey, is "can't" a typo?

I got rid of our 10 year old money pit of a hot tub on craigslist because I thought it was a hindrance to a sale if anything. I would rather have a brand new one than someone's old one.

Yup, is "homey" one too? I'll take it, "home piece, home slice", any of those .

Old 10-16-2018, 03:52 PM

806 posts, read 604,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Yup, is "homey" one too? I'll take it, "home piece, home slice", any of those .
That's what I thought. Homey was intentional, meant it in a nice way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: