Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 10:15 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times

Advertisements

I think long before demanding the store close and the owner losing his business there should be intense retraining for all staff and owner. Mistakes happen all the time. Acute anxiety and stress impairs our judgement. We all have biases that we must use executive functioning to control.

They all need more opportunity to do better before stripping them of their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 10:18 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
"Multicultural" is when being Black is normal, and doesn't elicit any different behavior, than serving a White customer does.

Go back and read the news story again Ruth. Ragland was not sitting with the people who ordered. He sat at a separate table. He wasn't being served and was not a "customer". He was occupying a table without buying anything. Yes, this behavior does draw the attention of restaurant staff. I'd like to see proof that Ragland's ejection was based on race and not on the fact that he was sitting a table for 30 minutes without making a purchase.

Ragland was not arrested or charged with anything. He was asked by the police to leave per the call from the business owner.

The news media was quickly alerted and a protest organized. Ragland made a speech on camera stating the teenage employees should lose their jobs and the owner should lose his business license as a punishment for "white supremacy". He also is demanding monetary compensation sufficient to buy 3 yogurt franchises ($1 milllion +?) The business owner is Filipino. He is being accused of racism. Where is the proof?

Stop twisting the story to fit your agendas.
Intentionally using lies to harm/destroy a business is libelous.
Should we twist the story to fit your agenda? You can't convince a closed mind of anything.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:23 AM

13,073 posts, read 7,515,583 times
Quote:
"Multicultural" is when being Black is normal, and doesn't elicit any different behavior, than serving a White customer does.

Go back and read the news story again Ruth. Ragland was not sitting with the people who ordered. He sat at a separate table. He wasn't being served and was not a "customer". He was occupying a table without buying anything. Yes, this behavior does draw the attention of restaurant staff. I'd like to see proof that Ragland's ejection was based on race and not on the fact that he was sitting a table for 30 minutes without making a purchase.

Ragland was not arrested or charged with anything. He was asked by the police to leave per the call from the business owner.

The news media was quickly alerted and a protest organized. Ragland made a speech on camera stating the teenage employees should lose their jobs and the owner should lose his business license as a punishment for "white supremacy". He also is demanding monetary compensation sufficient to buy 3 yogurt franchises ($1 milllion +?) The business owner is Filipino. He is being accused of racism. Where is the proof?

What does Filipino has to do with this incidence.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:27 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,247,012 times
"What does Filipino has to do with this incidence."

Read Ragland's speech which I have posted above.
The Filipino owner is being accused of "white supremacy".

Old 11-21-2018, 10:42 AM

This franchise is going to need a lot of PR and a settlement of some sort, whatever that may be. Mr Ragland has lost face in front of his charges, his employer, his friends and neighbors. Wars are started by Honor. Respect your own honor and the honor of others at all times or suffer the consequences.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
This franchise is going to need a lot of PR and a settlement of some sort, whatever that may be. Mr Ragland has lost face in front of his charges, his employer, his friends and neighbors. Wars are started by Honor. Respect your own honor and the honor of others at all times or suffer the consequences.
Free yogurt for a year?

Old 11-21-2018, 10:53 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:

I've made it very clear in the thread, that I'm not able to access the article. I'm going by what the OP and others say, and asking questions. Did restaurant staff inform Ragland that he would need to buy something, in order to occupy a table? Did they suggest he buy a coffee or other inexpensive item? Did they try to be helpful at all? If so, what was his response, when informed of that requirement?

Old 11-21-2018, 10:58 AM

If that would be offered to me (free yogurt for a year), I'd demand $2million. The offer of free yogurt is akin to a death sentence to me and because I honor myself, I don't eat that type of yogurt.
Why because, I am lactose intolerant, diabetic, and high blood pressure, and incontinent. My weight is slightly above ideal but not excessively overweight.
At least you should ask ME, politely and with respect, what can make this right.

Last edited by leastprime; 11-21-2018 at 11:52 AM..

Old 11-21-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've made it very clear in the thread, that I'm not able to access the article. I'm going by what the OP and others say, and asking questions. Did restaurant staff inform Ragland that he would need to buy something, in order to occupy a table? Did they suggest he buy a coffee or other inexpensive item? Did they try to be helpful at all? If so, what was his response, when informed of that requirement?
The young? employees did not say anything to Ragland. You want them to talk to scary black man?

/sarcasm

Old 11-21-2018, 12:01 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Is anyone discussing the recent issue with Kirkland Menchie's asking an African American person to leave?
Actually, the problem is that Ragland was not eating yogurt. If he had ordered some yogurt there would have been no issue.

This situation gets blurry because:

1. This store had recently been robbed by a white man
2. There were only two female clerks there, and there is a matter of female warieness of any male, black or white, who is not behaving in a clearly non-suspicious manner
3. Ragland was carrying out his own business on their premises.

I'm a black man myself, and I normally take umbrage at people calling the police on blacks simply for being black because once the police are called in, there is substantial possibility of the situation escalating far beyond anyone's control or desire.

But we have to remember that Ragland actually had no right to conduct his business on the store premises. That is a privilege the store may extend.

A store is not under any legal obligation to allow anyone to occupy space without patronizing the store. That is a privilege they may extend to prospective customers.

There have been times I've used business establishments as a background for my own business. In those cases, it has not been a problem for me to quickly catch whoever is in charge at the moment and let them know I'm not actually a customer. That's to prevent them beforehand from interfering with what I'm doing on their premises--which should be expected. That's just a matter of professionalism when one is doing business on someone else's property.

There is no reason Ragland could not have done the same. Or he could simply have ordered some yogurt.

By the same token, the best first move by the store clerks would have been for one to approach Ragland and say, "Good evening sir, may I get you anything?"

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 11-21-2018 at 12:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area