Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 09:38 AM

8 posts, read 5,575 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are going to be moving to the Seattle area from Sacramento, CA here within the next few months, or at least attempting to. We are both Sterile Processing Technicians, him with a year of experience and I with none. If there are any Sterile Techs out there, is there any advice that you can give as far as which hospitals you prefer to work at? Any tips for applying to make the process easier? Average salary, etc.

And as far as the move to WA, does anybody know of any assistance we would qualify for that maybe isn’t well known? Or do you have any tips on making the initial move easier? Or any areas that we should be looking at moving? We are looking for an apartment, rent about $1150 for our max rental amount. We both have about $1360 in reoccurring monthly expenses (car ins., cell phone bill, credit cards, etc.) between the two of us. We have found apartments that meet this range, I am just not too familiar with the surrounding cities of Seattle.

If anyone has any advice for someone wanting to make the move up north, please let us know. Anything helps!

Thank you for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 10:40 AM

184 posts, read 336,030 times
Don't.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:22 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,581 times
$1150 will get your a room in King County but not a livable apartment, especially for two people. You’d need to double your budget to be within an hour of Seattle in a somewhat livable place. Seattle prices are AT LEAST as expensive as LA, and many day to day things you’ll use (like food) is significantly higher in Seattle than even SoCal.

Just an FYI too, there are tons of apartment scams in Seattle and the surrounding areas

Last edited by thatguy950; 12-09-2018 at 01:37 PM..

Old 12-09-2018, 02:50 PM

1,305 posts, read 856,368 times
Scams...so true! My house was for sale, and I had a fellow come by asking about the Craig's list rental ad! Apparently, they get info on homes for sale, list them as rentals, probably at insanely low rates, then ask victims to wire deposit money. Be careful!

Old 12-09-2018, 03:13 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
With him having only a year experience and you none, don't move here without a job in hand, a wad of cash ($10k?), or a blank check from your parents.

For lower rents, look for jobs outside of Seattle: Tacoma, Lakewood, Everett, Olympia, Vancouver, Bellingham, Richland, Spokane, etc.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:07 PM

905 posts, read 1,103,254 times
Honestly, I would not recommend trying to move to Seattle proper, or the immediate suburbs w/a housing budget of $1150/month for two people. You're going to need at least several hundred more per month for most decent older 1 bedrooms, and closer to $2k/mo for a 2 bedroom (these figures can go higher depending on how nice of a place you want/how close in it is). It's basically Los Angeles/San Diego north here with cost of living these days, or at least not far off.

I used to recommend Tacoma as the cheaper alternative, but COL has ballooned there as well, from the middle class fleeing Seattle prices. Olympia might be a good option for you if you are set on western WA.

Bottom line, it isn't cheap to live here anymore.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:57 PM

511 posts, read 625,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbloodmexie View Post
My boyfriend and I are going to be moving to the Seattle area from Sacramento, CA here within the next few months, or at least attempting to. We are both Sterile Processing Technicians, him with a year of experience and I with none. If there are any Sterile Techs out there, is there any advice that you can give as far as which hospitals you prefer to work at? Any tips for applying to make the process easier? Average salary, etc.

And as far as the move to WA, does anybody know of any assistance we would qualify for that maybe isn’t well known? Or do you have any tips on making the initial move easier? Or any areas that we should be looking at moving? We are looking for an apartment, rent about $1150 for our max rental amount. We both have about $1360 in reoccurring monthly expenses (car ins., cell phone bill, credit cards, etc.) between the two of us. We have found apartments that meet this range, I am just not too familiar with the surrounding cities of Seattle.

If anyone has any advice for someone wanting to make the move up north, please let us know. Anything helps!

Thank you for your time
Yes, there is assistance for people like you - it's called soup kitchens and tent cities for the homeless - which you'll be in a matter of weeks to a month if you come up here as you are.

I'm from San Diego and have lived here for 15 years, and have continued to drive down to see family in SD a few times a year and other family 4-5 times a year in NorCal, primarily Sacto, so I've remained current on prices and such. The prices here are more expensive than San Diego, pretty much on everything. I hadn't expected that when I moved here in 2003, and now it's astonishing that home prices are higher in Seattle than they are in San Diego. Who would have thought?!

And that's San Diego, not Sacramento, where the home one family member lives in is priced at 400K but in San Diego, the same house in a similar location, would be in the 700K range.

Why are you moving with the idea of needing public assistance?! Why are you bringing your problems to a place hoping for that place to fund you? Are you a troll hoping to get people all riled up about the droves of lame Californians moving up here? Surely, I've been taken, yea? Because I can't imagine anyone seriously contemplating such a move with your supposed resources and hoping a Seattlite can tell you where to get some free money at the WA taxpayers' expense. Yes, I'm sure you're a troll. But I"ll keep my post JUST IN CASE you're not.

Last edited by Algiz; 12-11-2018 at 06:22 PM..

Old 12-11-2018, 08:15 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,330 times
No, if you are serious I have said this before I had to be on FS and medicaid after my husband got laid off then seriously ill . I had to do some very unsavory things to make it.
Housing assistance is non existent with wait lists of 3 years plus or just flat out closed - and that is in King ,Pierce( Tacoma ) and Snohomish ( Everett ) counties, I have lived in all three trying to keep up with my rent . It's packed and has experienced a cultural shift during the past decade or so. like the others said don't do it without at least 10K in your pocket or more - and that will go fast . You really are seeing LA north .
Add the wet and cold and you have a mess living in a tent .

Old 12-11-2018, 08:45 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
Why are you moving with the idea of needing public assistance?! Why are you bringing your problems to a place hoping for that place to fund you? Are you a troll hoping to get people all riled up about the droves of lame Californians moving up here? Surely, I've been taken, yea? Because I can't imagine anyone seriously contemplating such a move with your supposed resources and hoping a Seattlite can tell you where to get some free money at the WA taxpayers' expense. Yes, I'm sure you're a troll. But I"ll keep my post JUST IN CASE you're not.
"Never underestimate the degree of banality possible by One Post Wonders® who arrive w/o preamble, fail to read any of the near-identical threads on the same subject with lunatic constraints or conditions (over...and over...and over), then disappear like dust in the wind when the cognitive dissonance is exposed and challenged!"

-=Blondebaerde, Dec 2018

Old 12-11-2018, 08:57 PM

806 posts, read 604,662 times
You want someone to pay for you to move? Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area