Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2008, 11:25 AM

4 posts, read 13,539 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Seattle and I'm looking for a good neighborhood to move into. I'm looking for a place somewhat close to downtown, pre-WW2 development, the hipper and cooler the better, but also not too expensive. I briefly visited Capitol Hill and thought it looked great but probably expensive. Any thoughts?

I'm also looking at moving into a coop. Any recomendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 12:15 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Georgetown might be your cup of tea. Not far from downtown, lots of cool old brick buildings, artsy, less expensive than Capitol Hill.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:20 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
Hi and welcome!!

By "co-op" do you mean the type of real estate ownership that exists in New York City? We don't have such ownership in Washington state. But we do have condos and townhouses; ownership of those types of residences is widespread, and renting condos and townhouses is also fairly widespread.

"I'm looking for a place somewhat close to downtown"
The closer to downtown, it's logical that it's likely to be more expensive.

"pre-WW2 development"
Capitol Hill, First Hill, Madrona, Broadmoor, Madison Park, Queen Anne, Interbay, Magnolia, Fremont, Wallingford, Phinney Ridge, Ballard, Loyal Heights, Greenwood, Maple Leaf, Green Lake, Ravenna, University District, Belltown, Georgetown.

"the hipper and cooler the better"
Well, everyone's idea of hip and cool is different, so if you could be more specific.... I'd definitely call Capitol Hill hip and cool; the population of apartment buildings in Capitol Hill is so dense there are many price-range possibilities.
On my list above, the neighborhoods have varying degrees, and types, of hipth and coolth with probably the following being the hippest/coolest/artsiest/craftsest:
Capitol Hill, University District, Fremont, Georgetown (but again, that's a personal assessment).

Do you plan to rent for 6 months or more when you arrive? It's the very best idea, so you can learn what you like and find out where you want to be.
Here's the combined Classifieds for the two leading newspapers in and around Seattle:
NWapartments: Seattle apartment rentals, house rental listings, rental classifieds and other property rentals in Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue and other Washington areas, cities and neighborhoods | - Search by area
On the map, click on "North" and "Downtown" to get the neighborhoods listed.
You should also try:
Craigslist
rent.com
forrent.com
apartments.com

Have fun!

Old 04-08-2008, 07:14 PM

36 posts, read 149,167 times
Fremont, Phinney, Ballard, Beacon Hill (cheaper than any of the former I listed) Ranier, Mount Baker, U-District, Greenwood, Georgetown (although the soil I heard is still sketchy, West Seattle (other than Alki, for instance my old 2 bedroom awesome house was $600 a month on 41st and Dakota- what a deal!) All of these places are about ten minutes drive or a 20 minute bus ride to Downtown. Capital Hill is awesome and I lived there off and on through out the 90's on a measly high school job wages, my old 1 bedroom was 560 a month on Bellevue, Bellevue and Bellevue across from the Ben Lomond ( I am sure it has gone up though as this was ten years ago). Just look around and keep looking, and things will pop up.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:49 PM

Thanks, I'll google maps those. By hip and cool I mean more hip than square and more cool than not. You know, walk to restaurants and coffee shops, music around, that kind of thing. We probably won't have a car. This is helpful.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:53 PM

Oh, we have co-ops here (Madison, WI), I'm not sure how they work but basically it's usually a big house that's owned by a bunch of people and you pay rent which usually includes food. You're a part owner somehow. It's like renting but you share space with people you don't know but will soon know and a lot of the expenses are shared. It's pretty sweet.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:45 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feeedyourhead View Post
Oh, we have co-ops here (Madison, WI), I'm not sure how they work but basically it's usually a big house that's owned by a bunch of people and you pay rent which usually includes food. You're a part owner somehow. It's like renting but you share space with people you don't know but will soon know and a lot of the expenses are shared. It's pretty sweet.
Yeah, no. Not here. Sounds like a frat house!
About hipth and coolth, as you defined them: definitely the four neighborhoods I listed. To "walk to restaurants and coffee shops", but no music, add First Hill.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:21 PM

10 posts, read 42,381 times
Queen Anne and Fremont would be my top two choices (over Capital Hill)

Greenlake is cool and walkable, but further from downtown.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: