Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 04:27 PM

511 posts, read 625,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't see Amazon being a big threat to bookstores, it's the availability of digital books. My wife has been a big reader all of her life, and now all of her reading is digital on the Kindle or her iPad, and that's still 1-2 hours a day. Many of them are coming from the King County Library eBooks. The last time we went into as bookstore was the one at Crossroads (now gone) and that was to buy a calendar.
I've been reading Publisher's Weekly, the professional publishing journal, for years.

According to PW, digital is definitely a significant influence for the reading public. However, 5 years after e-reading became easily accessible, despite the quick climb in sales, the industry began noticing a plateau, which continues today 5 more years on. Apparently, the public only goes so far. Publishers have found that quick reads like mysteries, romances, detective novels...things that are literally "consumed" (the new word for "read" or "listened to" for any published media) in a matter of hours are where electronic formats are not necessarily preferred, but well-liked by readers. This is where the highest number of e-readers will be found. I believe the number never quite reaches 50% in these fiction genres for e-reader preference.

However, publishers are finding that the more intricate or taxing the material, the more likely the reader will choose a hard copy format, so pretty much anything that isn't those quick fiction novels, it looks like you're going to see people preferring hard copy books over e-reading in the long term. This includes classic literature, poetry most definitely, non-fiction, sciences and the like. Magazines, apparently, also are not being embraced electronically and don't look like they will be in the long run, either.

However, audible media is one to watch. Who knows why the audibles seem to be overtaking e-reading...long commutes, perhaps...but there is a huge uptick in people listening to books now, ALL books it seems, although I've listened to poetry and wished I hadn't wasted my money on that Mary Oliver "book." Even Mary Oliver, whose poetry is so accessible must be read, absorbed slowly, often going back to lines, lingering.

I was horrified when e-reading was introduced, but I have now calmed down. It appears there are more people than previously thought whose passions involve the actual article, thus requiring real pages and paper and covers. Hard copy books are the ultimate convenience and are just too practical, and this is not just my opinion. This is what the publishing industry is concluding after a decade of meeting the public's demands. I believe this is why we are seeing indie bookstores opening up again nation-wide. Yes, folks, nationwide, not just Seattle, as one might imagine given it's such a literary city. It's so heartening to all of us lovers of real-life books!

BTW, if you haven't heard of this site - http://bookshop.org check it out. It supports local indie bookstores and has a massive selection of books you are not going to be shown on Amazon, things that you will find in the indies, in the university bookstores. It's a delightful site for book lovers. It reminds me of when I used to go to bookstores 20-30 years ago because it's got so much that isn't mainstream, as well as what IS mainstream. Great bookstore, and it supports your local indies, so it's a win-win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 09:06 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The one thing I liked about Barnes & Noble, is that they had a coffee bar area built into the store. Great idea, for meeting people at the bookstore and having fun browsing together.
I met an Amway salesperson there some decades ago at the coffee bar. Or rather, she met me. Almost fell for it. That was in Concord, CA come to think of it. Might even have been Reno, NV.

Glad my mom didn't live to see the end of bookstores, her ashes probably get stirred up at the possibility.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:38 PM

808 posts, read 542,227 times
Default I quit going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The one thing I liked about Barnes & Noble, is that they had a coffee bar area built into the store. Great idea, for meeting people at the bookstore and having fun browsing together.
I quit going to that bookstore decades ago when they quit selling small press independent magazine, and pretty much turned the shelves over to mass-market, ad-driven consumerist drivel.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:44 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
I quit going to that bookstore decades ago when they quit selling small press independent magazine, and pretty much turned the shelves over to mass-market, ad-driven consumerist drivel.
THANK you! Yes, that's the thing I didn't like about the bookstore, or any chain bookstores. One of our indie bookstores in town also has a coffee/snack bar, along with a great selection of books, and author events, so that's great. But yes, pretty much all I ever went to B & N for, was the music section. Browsing the shelves wasn't productive. I think they carried a magazine or two I was interested in, or my home-town newspaper, or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area