Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2020, 08:02 PM

719 posts, read 987,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I'm the majority here, no electoral college is going to save the right wingers in Washington.
Good luck on that whole amending the U.S. Constitution thing. I'll be waiting on word of your stunning success in overturning 150 years of established law. But, oh, you're smug Seacove, so it's enough to say something will happen, even if it has no chance in hell of ever coming to pass! That's the ticket.

There's nothing like victory through argumentative fallacy! I might as well stand here proclaiming that I've had visions that liberals will hold hands and chant until the lost continent of Zealandia rises from the eastern Australian abyssal, to provide an eternal 'people's republic' of endless censorship, milk, honey, and mind-altering narcotics - a veritable paradise on Earth! Hey, man, I'm right, so that means all claims to the contrary are overcome! Here's an emoji! Have you leapt out a window yet?

Your troll skills have been found wanting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 08:12 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
Good luck on that whole amending the U.S. Constitution thing. I'll be waiting on word of your stunning success in overturning 150 years of established law. But, oh, you're smug Seacove, so it's enough to say something will happen, even if it has no chance in hell of ever coming to pass! That's the ticket.

There's nothing like victory through argumentative fallacy! I might as well stand here proclaiming that I've had visions that liberals will hold hands and chant until the lost continent of Zealandia rises from the eastern Australian abyssal, to provide an eternal 'people's republic' of endless censorship, milk, honey, and mind-altering narcotics - a veritable paradise on Earth! Hey, man, I'm right, so that means all claims to the contrary are overcome! Here's an emoji! Have you leapt out a window yet?

Your troll skills have been found wanting.
So...you're saying the electoral college matters within the state? Sorry, no. Majority rules and it's a blue state. Might want to look for browner pastures.

Old 06-12-2020, 10:40 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
My 55 year old wife and I parked nearby and walked into the "autonomous zone" this evening just to see what was going on. Let me be clear, I am not in favor with what they have done, although very much in favor of peaceful protest. What I will tell you is that it was completely peaceful inside, a big remembrance "shrine" with many cards, letters for George Floyd and others. There also seems to be a fairly vibrant barter system, donations, food being supplied to the people who are staying inside. There are a number of street performers, musicians, quite a few artists who have done elaborate murals and chalk street art.

They seem to be modeling themselves in a quite similar to Christiania, in Copenhagen, if you have ever been there. https://theculturetrip.com/europe/de...pie-free-town/
CHAZ in Seattle is big, six blocks is quite spread out. I really don't know what is going to happen but if anyone tried to clear it out, it would be messy. There are a lot of people there.

Old 06-12-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
but if anyone tried to clear it out, it would be messy. There are a lot of people there.
Messy is fine by me. We're not Denmark. If these brats want to open a comune somewhere, they are more than entitled to do so. Seizing public and private property through violent rioting (now peaceful only because the police fled) is a non-starter.

The only thing that makes civilization work is the rule of law. You like your neighbor's yard better than your own? Tough - it's his. Now, maybe you can buy it from him... but you cannot take it by force. Nor can you abduct his wife, enslave his children, or cook his dog for your dinner. Law is what separates us from animals. We can hold up religion for the moral compass it provides; we can celebrate the kindness of individuals all we like. But the law - the fear of reprisal - is the strong fiber that binds all of society together.

Anarchism isn't just the rejection of law, it is the repudiation of civilized human community. You can argue to the contrary - you can go on and on about how these are 'just a few peaceful (lie) kids who exploring what it means to be good citizens (another lie)'. But these people aren't interested in the exchange of currency for goods; they aren't compelled by the rights of property owners; they certainly don't believe you're entitled to hold a different viewpoint from them - the fundamental laws that we cherish as a civilization are antithetical to their chaotic objectives.

There's a reason that the word terrorists is being tossed around, but I honestly don't think that goes far enough. These people are barbarians, and they should be dealt with as barbarians have been handled since time immemorial: through direct force. The occupying barbarian horde should be given two alternatives: evacuate the zone and disperse to their homes, or die at dawn.

And yes, I am advocating the elimination of everyone inside that cordon. They don't want to be a part of our civilization? Fine. Then they are an invading army that must be destroyed.

Last edited by PrincessoftheCape; 06-12-2020 at 11:26 PM..

Old 06-12-2020, 11:03 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Quote:
Messy is fine by me. We're not Denmark. If these brats want to open a comune somewhere, they are more than entitled to do so. Seizing public and private property through violent rioting (now peaceful only because the police fled) is a non-starter.
Agreed, but not about the messy part being okay. I don't know the path forward, this place looked entrenched.

Old 06-12-2020, 11:25 PM

Quote:
My 55 year old wife and I parked nearby and walked into the "autonomous zone" this evening just to see what was going on. Let me be clear, I am not in favor with what they have done, although very much in favor of peaceful protest. What I will tell you is that it was completely peaceful inside, a big remembrance "shrine" with many cards, letters for George Floyd and others. There also seems to be a fairly vibrant barter system, donations, food being supplied to the people who are staying inside. There are a number of street performers, musicians, quite a few artists who have done elaborate murals and chalk street art.

They seem to be modeling themselves in a quite similar to Christiania, in Copenhagen, if you have ever been there. https://theculturetrip.com/europe/de...pie-free-town/
CHAZ in Seattle is big, six blocks is quite spread out. I really don't know what is going to happen but if anyone tried to clear it out, it would be messy. There are a lot of people there.
As you, fnh and others have noted, the protests are largely peaceful but right wing news is on a mission. And today this was revealed:

"Fox News published digitally altered and misleading photos on stories about Seattle’s Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone (CHAZ) in what photojournalism experts called a clear violation of ethical standards for news organizations."

Fox News runs digitally altered images in coverage of Seattle’s protests, Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...onomous-zone/?

Last edited by Seacove; 06-13-2020 at 12:23 AM..

Old 06-12-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Agreed, but not about the messy part being okay. I don't know the path forward, this place looked entrenched.
The feds need to arrest Durkan. By ordering the police to abandon the precinct, and then refusing to allow them to retake it, she is actively abetting the rioters, and has now made herself a party to their crimes (many of which rise to felony level offenses).

Trump should then utilize the Insurrection Act - for which this certainly applies (it is, in every conceivable way, an insurrection, and the rioters have made damned sure that we don't mistake it for anything otherwise) - to deploy the U.S. Army and surround the zone. They don't need to necessarily charge spraying small arms fire at that point - just cut off water and all food and within a day or two the vast majority of the occupiers will surrender. Remaining holdouts can then be mopped up. Everyone caught in the net should be prosecuted for multiple felonies and spend serious time in federal prison.

Will this happen? Probably not. Our leaders are cowards. But it's how it should be handled.

Old 06-12-2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
The feds need to arrest Durkan. By ordering the police to abandon the precinct, and then refusing to allow them to retake it, she is actively abetting the rioters, and has now made herself a party to their crimes (many of which rise to felony level offenses).

Trump should then utilize the Insurrection Act - for which this certainly applies (it is, in every conceivable way, an insurrection, and the rioters have made damned sure that we don't mistake it for anything otherwise) - to deploy the U.S. Army and surround the zone. They don't need to necessarily charge spraying small arms fire at that point - just cut off water and all food and within a day or two the vast majority of the occupiers will surrender. Remaining holdouts can then be mopped up. Everyone caught in the net should be prosecuted for multiple felonies and spend serious time in federal prison.

Will this happen? Probably not. Our leaders are cowards. But it's how it should be handled.
Should the anti-government armed occupants that were acquittedhave been sprayed with bullets, charged with multiple felonies and done serious time in federal prison? I find it very interesting how right wingers have different solutions for different political parties. These guys are largely harmless and "spraying them with bullets" is complete insane.

"Fox News published digitally altered and misleading photos on stories about Seattle’s Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone (CHAZ) in what photojournalism experts called a clear violation of ethical standards for news organizations."
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...onomous-zone/?

Last edited by Seacove; 06-13-2020 at 12:24 AM..

Old 06-12-2020, 11:44 PM

Quote:
These guys are largely harmless and "spraying them with bullets" is complete insane.
Open rebellion should be met with force, lest it encourage similar acts in the future. I'd encourage you to point to my posts where I supported, encouraged, justified, or otherwise defended the Malheur occupiers.

Go ahead. Find them.

Old 06-13-2020, 12:09 AM

131 posts, read 97,250 times
Quote:
As you, fnh and others have noted, the protests are largely peaceful but right wing news is on a mission. And today this was revealed:

Fox News runs digitally altered images in coverage of Seattle’s protests, Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...e%20subscriber
We have a winner! So now it's Fox's fault.

Pictures of this area could not be altered enough to make it anything but what it is - a cesspool.

I see some protesters wanted to start "East Chaz" in Nashville. But fortunately for Tennessee residents, their governor has not had his spine removed. He has stated that such behavior will not be tolerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area