Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 03:58 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,674,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I posted the same observations about the Northgate area, but a number of Seattle residents said, there have been homeless in Northgate for years! Mainly in the vicinity of the freeway, but also around the golf course, and other neighborhoods. This is not what my former neighbors say, however. There are still quiet refuges in the area, but I haven't got an update for 2020.
We took an urban hike (stairs of Seattle book) end of January) beginning of February and we saw homeless at Northgate as well as in the neighborhood between Northgate and Meadowbrook, especially the bridge on 15th that crosses over Thornton Creek. Really messing up the watershed over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 06:03 PM

8,172 posts, read 8,310,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
I love Seattle, but at this point, I don't think I can reccommend anyone to move here anytime soon, especially with the police cuts. The homeless situation also appears to be getting worse. I moved to Northgate in 2019, there were no homeless or tent cities in my area. Now some homeless have started showing up within the last few weeks. Many of them are kinda dangerous.

A lot of things are closed which really takes away the experience. There's the mountains and scenery but I'm not certain if it's possible to take hikes there now. There are usually tour groups but who knows if those are running.
Sure Montezia, you can hike. I’ve taken two good ones in the last month.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:01 PM

606 posts, read 419,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I posted the same observations about the Northgate area, but a number of Seattle residents said, there have been homeless in Northgate for years! Mainly in the vicinity of the freeway, but also around the golf course, and other neighborhoods. This is not what my former neighbors say, however. There are still quiet refuges in the area, but I haven't got an update for 2020.
I remember there used to be an encampment in one small patch of land beside the freeway but has since come down. I can't debate against long time residents, but I don't remember passing by homeless on sidewalks when I moved to this area last spring.

Good thing hikes are still open!

I also know that area as well. I've thought about going for a stroll there but now I'm reconsidering that.

Old 07-14-2020, 12:33 AM

240 posts, read 195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Hi Seattle, you are a lovely city. I did the Starlight Amtrak route from LA, and it was a breathtaking train ride from California coast into Washington. I stayed near Amazon's corporate campus and was able to experience some great food, but everything still appeared to be close. Seattle felt like a very advance Asian city as compared to ports on the East Coast. I also love the train system, as I was able to take the train directly to SeaTac airport. I am a paralegal in Myrtle Beach, my dream is to get on Amazon's legal team, and after my first visit to Seattle, well it has provided the motivation to move toward that dream. Seattle left a very indelible impression on me. Exceptional and beautiful place.

Completely agree with you, I have lived all over the country (Chicago, NJ, Atlanta, LA and Dallas), but fell in love with Seattle when I first visited in 2010. It took me few years to find the right opportunity but finally made it my home 4 years back. Of course there are some issues like gloomy and short winter days, expensive real estate and some homelessness around downtown. But the pros outweigh the cons heavily.

The fact I like the most is the variety and uniqueness of the places across greater Seattle Metro area. From vibrant city life in downtown to wineries in Woodinville, mountains in Issaquah, fancy island living at Mercer Island and lake view in Kirkland. In addition, Bellevue downtown provides a mini "city gateway" to suburbanites.Even the neighborhoods within Seattle city proper like South Lake Union, Capital Hill, Ballard etc. all have their own charm.

Old 07-14-2020, 01:07 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,189,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Hi Seattle, you are a lovely city. I did the Starlight Amtrak route from LA, and it was a breathtaking train ride from California coast into Washington. I stayed near Amazon's corporate campus and was able to experience some great food, but everything still appeared to be close. Seattle felt like a very advance Asian city as compared to ports on the East Coast. I also love the train system, as I was able to take the train directly to SeaTac airport. I am a paralegal in Myrtle Beach, my dream is to get on Amazon's legal team, and after my first visit to Seattle, well it has provided the motivation to move toward that dream. Seattle left a very indelible impression on me. Exceptional and beautiful place.
Appearances are deceptive. Western Washington and the Seattle area is easily the worst region of America when it comes to dating and making friends. Pure horror. Strangest place in the world literally speaking in regard to human warmth. What you will find is a huge pedophile ring bust in Wenatchee sometime ago. Two horse sex farms that were busted in western Washington some years ago. Tons of serial killers come from the state of Washington. The food sucks. The people are aloof and distant and clicky and unfriendly. The single women are stuck up. The cost of living is pathetic and ridiculous. The traffic is my numbing. This region is the most overrated region not only in America but in the world. Good luck.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 07-14-2020 at 01:19 AM..

Old 07-14-2020, 01:53 AM

908 posts, read 961,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Appearances are deceptive. Western Washington and the Seattle area is easily the worst region of America when it comes to dating and making friends. Pure horror. Strangest place in the world literally speaking in regard to human warmth. What you will find is a huge pedophile ring bust in Wenatchee sometime ago. Two horse sex farms that were busted in western Washington some years ago. Tons of serial killers come from the state of Washington. The food sucks. The people are aloof and distant and clicky and unfriendly. The single women are stuck up. The cost of living is pathetic and ridiculous. The traffic is my numbing. This region is the most overrated region not only in America but in the world. Good luck.
tell us how you really feel ...

Old 07-14-2020, 02:01 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,444,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
So that train ride sounds interesting.

Please tell us more about it.
Like pricing, comfort and how long it took.
Did you get a “sleeper”?

The reason I ask is my mom is in her mid 80’s and likes to drive from the Bay Area because she doesn’t care for air travel.
This might work out well for her as well as us because of safety reasons.

Thank you.
Andy.
Well, I flew from Atlanta to Los Angeles and spent a day in LA. The Starlight route from LA to Seattle departed - Union Station at 10:10. I purchased a coach ticket for $99.00 one way. The coach seats were very comfortable, and I had both seats the entire trip, it will be no one sitting directly across from you. Check-in for the seat assignment started around 8:30 am. If you start in LA, ask for a seat on the left side for the best views of the coast. I would imagine from Seattle; you would need to sit on the right side of the train, for views of the beach. The train also had a cart for viewing only, with huge windows, which was great for Facebook live and picture taking of the beautiful scenery. Please bring your own food. It was a 35-hour journey, and as a US Marine veteran, I have seen some visited some beautiful places around the world. The Amtrak Starlight is at the top of one of my most beautiful trips, ever, offering stunning views of beaches and mountains of California, Oregon, and Washington. To me personally, it was the most beautiful scenic route in America. However, I have heard that Chicago to San Francisco Amtrak route through the Rocky Mountains is impressive as well. Truly an American treasure, I highly recommend this trip is was so refreshing, and you meet so many different people.

Last edited by Atlwarrior; 07-14-2020 at 02:16 AM..

Old 07-14-2020, 02:11 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,444,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Well as someone who understands how a soul operates, I guess you attract what you are. I found the people of Seattle to be beautiful, helpful, and the restaurants that were open, delightful good. I happening to believe that hasty generalizations are really tools for people who choose not to contribute to society and help improve others, but hides behind faulty perceptions and criticize others for having the courage to be vulnerable, interact with people and value community. The greatest part of my Amtrak trip was meeting new people, and I am an introvert normally. Even the homeless in Seattle was helpful, and show me how to take the local transit. I was able to take the train to Seattle Airport for $3.00 instead of a 38.00 Uber ride. We have too many people that search for negative things in people, I guess after serving in a third world country in The United States Marines, it teaches you to be humble and appreciate all people. It so easy to write people off, the soul and will is an amazing thing and always one decision away from change.

Last edited by Atlwarrior; 07-14-2020 at 02:21 AM..

Old 07-14-2020, 06:33 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,503,165 times
tell us how you really feel ...

I think folkguitarist found the women to be stuck up and couldn't get a date. I met the young woman I eventually married in Edmonds. We've been married 40 years now. So, contrary to what some people think, one can meet the woman of their dreams in the Seattle area.

Caveat: my girl is originally from Chicago.

Old 07-14-2020, 07:25 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,363,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach911 View Post
Yep... been here 9 years and have had my fill.

The ONLY good things I have to say about this area are the climate and the scenery. It's mild and I enjoy it a lot more than the hot humid southeast where I used to live and I have to include the obvious amazing views.

It's just too bad the state is being run into the ground by someone as ignorant as Inslee with an equally ignorant Seattle City Council and Mayor Dumbkan.

Say hello to the new Chicago. You get what you vote for liberals.
Chicago is a great city. You should be so lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area