Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2020, 05:43 PM

16 posts, read 10,942 times

Advertisements

I am a teacher looking to relocate to the Seattle area. I am curious to read some perspectives of teachers or people familiar with what teaching is like in the area.
Some branching off questions:

Are there certain areas or districts that treat teachers better?
Is there high turnover?
Is it easy or difficult to get a job in Seattle area?
Is it possible to live off a teacher's salary?
What is the overall climate like for teachers? Expectations on teacher.

Thank you for your help and input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2020, 02:17 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance-lor View Post
I am a teacher looking to relocate to the Seattle area. I am curious to read some perspectives of teachers or people familiar with what teaching is like in the area.
Some branching off questions:

Are there certain areas or districts that treat teachers better?
Is there high turnover?
Is it easy or difficult to get a job in Seattle area?
Is it possible to live off a teacher's salary?
What is the overall climate like for teachers? Expectations on teacher.

Thank you for your help and input.

It's hard to know right now. Ask again in six months.

Old 08-16-2020, 08:57 AM

426 posts, read 527,165 times
This is anecdotal and I'm hardly an expert in this, but from the stories I've heard from teachers, Eastside Seattle has generally worked out better, since things appear to be managed pretty well there. Also flexibility with affordability has more options, though that may change over the coming months given what's going on politically.

It really comes down to what you're looking for of course. If teaching downtown is preferred, you might find more happiness with private schools.

Old 08-16-2020, 02:51 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
My wife works at one of the many 10/10 schools on the Eastside, such as in Bellevue, Issaquah, Redmond, Sammamish. Hers is also a brand new building that opened last year.
All of the teachers I know are married to someone making $100k plus, or are commuting from less expensive areas father east, north or south. It’s the cost of real estate here. For the same reason the schools are great, the home prices are high. A teacher could live in this area if renting a small apartment $1,600 and up) but homes now start at about $750k. Seattle prices are similar, but the teachers earn their pay, with a more difficult student base more economically and academically diverse. Those that stay are very dedicated and patient.

Old 08-16-2020, 05:54 PM

234 posts, read 499,211 times
Hi, I'm going on my 23rd year teaching in the area. I have gone back and forth between the Kent School District and Renton School District during my career having done two stints with both. My son graduated from HS two years ago from a Renton district HS and my daughter is a junior. For the most part I'm pretty happy with the schools both as a teacher and a parent. I came from Arizona, and am thankful everyday I moved here on a whim basically 25 years ago, as my family members working in the schools there are quite unhappy. While I certainly did struggle financially my first five years teaching (working nights at Barnes and Noble and Target) I am glad I stuck with it as I now make a good salary and own a nice, but smallish home I could never afford if I tried to move in now. Like Hemlock said I would recommend the Eastside, but also north and south have some decent districts and are more affordable. My stepdaughter teaches in Auburn and lives in the Tacoma area and loves both. So definitely shop around. Lots of jobs are available, and with a master's degree you'll do OK. Feel free to shoot me a PM with any other questions.

Old 08-16-2020, 09:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
How far into teaching career are you?

If new... there are some advantages to being in a more rural area for variety of assignments and opportunities, and finding 'your spot' for future focus. The Island School district usually has good ratings and a lot of community support, quite unique opportunities too.
https://www.sjisd.wednet.edu/
About Us - Orcas Island School District.

If you want Seattle central / Urban living... I would look to the NE of Seattle, for affordable housing and decent schools / community support. (Bothell / Woodinville direction) ('better' QoL compared to metro 'hurry' and crime)

If new to teaching and in debt... (or for next reader)... 3 friends have taught at Native American schools in WA for student debt forgiveness. They each became very impassioned to the unique challenges found there. And went on to do some really interesting teaching gigs. (elsewhere, often overseas).

If you need 'more' income... What is your skillset and passion.
I worked (3) jobs my entire 40+ yr career.
Most jobs were great! (diversion from teaching or other primary job)

Teaching does allow for a lot of free time if you have your own business or skillset that allows you to take high pay contract gigs during school breaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area