Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,317 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning a move sometime in this next year. We want to be somewhat close to the city (less than an hour, closer is ideal) but closer to mountains/biking/hiking/skiing. We both work out of the house so commute is not an issue. What cities or neighborhoods would be ideal for this? Looking on Zillow, Issaquah seems like a good fit, but I don't know if it fits our budget of $600-$650k.

Here's what we're looking for:
- being able to walk to trailheads and bike paths
- nearby to water for kayaking and boating
- "mountain living", but not being too remote from everything
- house preferred over condo/apartments, and we both dislike tract style housing
- reliable and fast internet available
- maximum budget is about $800k for the absolute perfect place, but we'd like to stay under $650k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 02:23 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
Build a relationship with a RE agent. SFH will list on Thursday. Sold on Sunday. Probably the winning bid has an escalating clause.

Old 12-01-2020, 03:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
If you find anything in Issaquah, Sammamish, or North Bend that's under $800k, jump on it. Across the street from us the house sold in 4 days, with multiple offers over asking, and was a "fixer" listed at $749k. Under $650k for a house is going to require being farther out, close to or even a bit more than an hour from Seattle. For example, there might be something available in the Fairwood area of Renton for $600-700k.

Old 12-01-2020, 07:36 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxingcowbagels View Post
My wife and I are planning a move sometime in this next year. We want to be somewhat close to the city (less than an hour, closer is ideal) but closer to mountains/biking/hiking/skiing. We both work out of the house so commute is not an issue. What cities or neighborhoods would be ideal for this? Looking on Zillow, Issaquah seems like a good fit, but I don't know if it fits our budget of $600-$650k.

- house preferred over condo/apartments, and we both dislike tract style housing
- maximum budget is about $800k for the absolute perfect place, but we'd like to stay under $650k
Hey bagels, Walking to trailheads, mountain living and nearby water is a tough combo. You might want to look out toward North Bend, Mt Si is nearby and good river kayaking too.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:56 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,668,443 times
I'm going to turn you towards a slightly different direction than Issaquah (although I own -and mostly live- in one of two homes we have in Issaquah).

I just bought 3.5 acres off of 900 between Renton and Issaquah (unincorporated King Co) at the base of Cougar Mt (one of the "Issaquah Alps"). My street is between trailheads and is VERY popular with cyclists.

Two bedrooms. Several outbuildings, a shed and dog kennels. Had King Conservation come and consult us on our wetlands and we learned we also got a beaver.

More info about the area:
[url]https://patch.com/washington/renton/eggs-almighty-alps-to-wander-jay-berry-s-cafe-fuels-a-family[/url]

We closed for under $510k.

You can also try for Fall City, Preston, Mirrormont on Tiger (Issaquah), Squak Mt. (Issaquah). Neither community have much of those tract homes you don't like. Maybe Ravensdale. North Bend and Snoqualmie too.

Old 12-01-2020, 11:52 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Quote:

If you could be flexible on the “mountain” part, islands like Vashon or Whidbey could work. Great salt water kayaking, local trails, just not a mountain vibe.

Old 12-01-2020, 11:59 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Two bedrooms. Several outbuildings, a shed and dog kennels. Had King Conservation come and consult us on our wetlands and we learned we also got a beaver.

Must be another transplant like us from Oregon.

Old 12-02-2020, 11:56 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Some options:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...48889118_zpid/ (Snoqualmie)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...48974918_zpid/ (Issaquah)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...48658543_zpid/ (Redmond/Ames Lake)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...48655205_zpid/ (Carnation)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...38460020_zpid/ (Snohomish)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...48670275_zpid/ (Maple Valley)

Old 12-02-2020, 11:58 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
To check available broadband providers by address:

https://www.allconnect.com/

Old 12-02-2020, 04:56 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:

Issaquah is an awesome place to live, you're on the right track.

I live in Kirkland, which I'm fond(er) of. Issaquah was Top-5 of my Eastside choices some years ago.

Both hit all your marks. Yes, your budget is a bit sketchy, but it isn't impossible. You may in fact end up in "tract housing." Issaquah was a frontier, long ago, and still has a bit of back-woods going on though nothing like North Bend another 10-15 miles down I-90. And during Salmon Days there may not be a parking spot in the entire town.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Issaquah_Salmon_Days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area