Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 09:35 AM

33 posts, read 45,895 times

Advertisements

I lived in Kirkland but worked in Belltown near the Space Needle for almost 20 years, until I moved away from Washington in 2011. Right around that time, downtown started becoming very dangerous, even during the day. Definitely a factor in my relocation to Boise.

This isn’t a political post at all, merely a question:

With violent crime and especially property crimes spiking, hardly any legal gun owners, and a police department that has had more than 100 officers leave the force in just 2 years, morale at an all time low, and calls to defund them even further....doesn’t anyone else think this is a recipe for disaster?! An Anarchist’s paradise rather than a civilized society.

Seems like simple math to me: less police + more crime + no legal gun owners = WAY more crime.

I visited in 2019 and I was literally in shock. This was not the Seattle I remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 10:14 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
No, the progressives don't think that way. They have a firm idea of how the People's Utopia is going to work very nicely.

If their experiment works, we can all follow. But in the meantime, I prefer to have a well funded police department instead of social workers. It would make more sense to me to put some more funds into training the police instead of getting rid of them. But I'm not politically progressive. I've still got that Neanderthal belief that some people just aren't nice.

Old 12-29-2020, 03:06 AM

4,898 posts, read 2,052,348 times
It’s slightly over 160 cops that have left/retired from SPD in a one year period... I venture to say when Seattle PD announces the new numbers of officer that have left in mid January 2021, it will be closer to 200 cops that have left SPD in a one year time period... Seattle is also running into a recruitment issue where they’re not attracting “high quality” new recruits or experienced and trained officers that are willing to work in this current climate within Seattle... I’d say by next July, 2021, Seattle will not have to worry about defunding the police anymore since there will not be enough police left to defund.

I could be wrong, but I’m thinking, after talking to several family members that live in Seattle, mainly the southend areas, that many are now starting to change their thoughts on all this defunding the police talk... Since they’re now worried if they should need a cop, will they even come and/or will they come, in time, to make a difference. Most of my family are very liberal and progressive in their views, which are changing, since they’re starting to feel a little venerable to criminals that are now very embolden since they know that if they’re arrested, they will be release in 12 hours and any charges against them will be dropped by the county justice system.

This is a real fear, especially in the more Black and Brown communities.

Also, do not think that people in Seattle are not armed now... Since last summer, there has been a MAJOR increase of firearm purchases in Seattle... By the very same people who despised gun owners prior to our “Summer of Love” events. Over the weekend, I was visiting family members in Seattle and decided to stop by my favorite record/cd/dvd and book shop in the SoDo area. Since I was in the area, I stopped by probably the last remaining place within Seattle city limits that still sold firearms to see if they had the caliber of ammunition I needed, which by a freak chance they did. While there, I did notice a very Seattle-ish looking couple looking at one of the very few handguns still in stock. You could tell by the husband’s actions that the ideal of buying a gun was very foreign to him by the questions he was asking while his wife simply looked on. They didn’t buy a gun on that day, but, I’d bet that they will return this coming Saturday/Sunday and purchase a handgun.

Also, people are now taking extra steps to “fortify” their homes since property crimes have exploded and Seattle police no longer respond to those calls anymore... They’ll still give you a case number to a “non-existing case” for insurance purposes, but that’s it.

The one thing I’ve noticed about liberals and progressives, IMHO, is that they will NEVER admit when they’re wrong and will ride that failed ideal into the ground before admitting that their ideal was a failure... Or simply blame somebody for why it didn’t work... I’ve observed this behavior with family and friends in both Seattle and in the NYC area. I find this funny and even funnier when they try to explain it away and when they know I’m not buying it one bit... When a liberal/progressive goes silent, that’s how you know you won the argument AND they’re almost ready to listen to another ideal.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see who will run and be elected as the next mayor of Seattle by the people. Basically, the voters in Seattle have two choices to make. Either elect a person who can make a hard “course correction” to bring a level of balance back to Seattle WHILE fighting the city clowncil or continue on its current failed course of action. If the vote was held today, IMHO, Seattle would vote to continue on with the current failed course of action... Knowing that it’s a failed ideal.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:03 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,159,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post

The one thing I’ve noticed about liberals and progressives, IMHO, is that they will NEVER admit when they’re wrong and will ride that failed ideal into the ground before admitting that their ideal was a failure... Or simply blame somebody for why it didn’t work... I’ve observed this behavior with family and friends in both Seattle and in the NYC area. I find this funny and even funnier when they try to explain it away and when they know I’m not buying it one bit... When a liberal/progressive goes silent, that’s how you know you won the argument AND they’re almost ready to listen to another ideal.

Kinda sad isn't it?

Old 12-29-2020, 02:45 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,859,101 times
One of my friends who never owned a gun before decided to buy one this year. Another one is considering.

I do not wish to spend $10,000 on learning to use a gun, buying one or two, buying ammo, buying a safe, paying for any license fees and taxes every year, and then going to a range every few months so as to stay in practice. Not to mention all the time involved.

But I am not surprised at all that gun stores had record sales this year.

The US homicide total in 2020 will likely hit a level last seen 25 years ago.

Last edited by usernametaken; 12-29-2020 at 03:02 PM..

Old 12-29-2020, 04:05 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,159,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
One of my friends who never owned a gun before decided to buy one this year. Another one is considering.

I do not wish to spend $10,000 on learning to use a gun, buying one or two, buying ammo, buying a safe, paying for any license fees and taxes every year, and then going to a range every few months so as to stay in practice. Not to mention all the time involved.

But I am not surprised at all that gun stores had record sales this year.

The US homicide total in 2020 will likely hit a level last seen 25 years ago.

I've held off on buying a gun....so far. My wife and I purchased a home security system thru Ring products. Part and parcel of that is getting notification of crimes as reported by other Ring clients in a given neighborhood. We live in West Seattle and they've always said if possible, try to live west of 35th and boy oh boy has this been a blessing. I can see the location of the reported crimes thru Ring and the vast majority are east of 35th Ave SW.

So spend a bit more, if possible, and pick your neighborhoods wisely as the level of crime from one zip code to another is mindboggling.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:09 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
You can buy a gun for $300 and up.

No need for a safe, IMO.

You want the gun in your house where you can access it very quickly.

I don't think there are taxes every year. Only the sales tax when you buy it the first time.

Revolvers will last more than a person's lifetime.

No need to go to the range every few months.

Shoot it a couple times. Get familiar with it. That's it.

There's no time involved.

Old 12-30-2020, 09:51 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
You can buy a gun for $300 and up.

No need for a safe, IMO.

You want the gun in your house where you can access it very quickly.

I don't think there are taxes every year. Only the sales tax when you buy it the first time.

Revolvers will last more than a person's lifetime.

I've been doing some recent shopping. Prices are a bit spiked, may be able to find a $300 option but might be good to increase the budget. The key thing now is there is a very limited supply of good ammo for home defense and self protection. I've found some 9 mm for my semi but no 38's for my revolver.

I agree with everything else.

Old 12-30-2020, 10:05 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,859,101 times
Thanks for the useful advice. If I buy a house again, will definitely look into gun ownership seriously.

Old 12-30-2020, 06:58 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post

Wow. I hope you and your friends never move any where near me.

All my neighbors have guns, but they are all trained in how to use them safely. Nobody bought a gun, shot it twice, and decided they know enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area