Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 03:56 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
He's not quiet on schools. He's been traveling the state, visiting classrooms and hosted a discussion about a week ago in a campaign/plead to other districts that it's time to get the kids back in school.

But regardless it's still his fault for putting the fear of God in everyone and shutting us down for as long as he did. An administrator for one of the northern districts even said that the longer this goes on the more comfortable teachers and staff are going to be with continuing remote education.

What comes around, goes around... and it all goes back to Inslee. I hope he suffers massively for this. I have so much anger it's making me physically unwell.
And yet people still voted for him. I don't understand this at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2021, 04:10 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
And yet people still voted for him. I don't understand this at all.
Including yours truly. What the hell is wrong with the Republicans in this state? Why couldn't they have offered up something other than that pathetic Loren Culp from Republic with its population of, like, next-to-nothing.

The politics in this state are a total sh1tshow.

Old 02-27-2021, 05:39 PM

290 posts, read 288,654 times
Quote:
Including yours truly. What the hell is wrong with the Republicans in this state? Why couldn't they have offered up something other than that pathetic Loren Culp from Republic with its population of, like, next-to-nothing.

The politics in this state are a total sh1tshow.
The problem is that there is no political home for folks who are neither part of the Trump personality cult on the one side nor an evangelist for the religion of wokeism on the other. One is forced to put on one of those two jerseys or to simply not engage.

At the moment, the R’s clearly have the bigger problem. They’ve lost control at the national level and in WA, at the state level. They need to figure out whether they want to carry on as a Trump party or whether they will be willing to do the hard work of returning the party to the classical liberal principles (free markets, free expression, individual liberty, personal responsibility, fiscal restraint, etc.) that it used to stand for.

Or maybe neither of those. Perhaps over time Josh Hawley will realize his ambition to make the R’s into a nationalist party whose base will be an multi-ethnic working class.

I don’t have kids, but I see what school closures are doing to families such as yours. If one believes the original statement from CDC Director Walensky, schools should be opening up now. Many private schools have managed to do that.

But unsurprisingly, the Biden administration walked back her statements under pressure from the teachers’ unions, who keep moving the goalposts. To cite just one example, many local unions said they’d return once all teachers were vaccinated. But once that demand was accepted, they came back and said that ventilation systems had to be replaced. And even then, some unions said that their members shouldn’t return to work until the virus was eliminated. We all know that will never happen and that we’ll have to live with some level of risk. But to some of these union leaders, ANY level of risk is unacceptable.

Political leaders should be in the forefront of getting kids back in classrooms. But anyone who thinks that either Biden or Inslee will get crossways with the teachers’ unions on this is delusional.

Old 02-27-2021, 05:53 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifoso View Post
The problem is that there is no political home for folks who are neither part of the Trump personality cult on the one side nor an evangelist for the religion of wokeism on the other. One is forced to put on one of those two jerseys or to simply not engage.

At the moment, the R’s clearly have the bigger problem. They’ve lost control at the national level and in WA, at the state level. They need to figure out whether they want to carry on as a Trump party or whether they will be willing to do the hard work of returning the party to the classical liberal principles (free markets, free expression, individual liberty, personal responsibility, fiscal restraint, etc.) that it used to stand for.

Or maybe neither of those. Perhaps over time Josh Hawley will realize his ambition to make the R’s into a nationalist party whose base will be an multi-ethnic working class.

I don’t have kids, but I see what school closures are doing to families such as yours. If one believes the original statement from CDC Director Walensky, schools should be opening up now. Many private schools have managed to do that.

But unsurprisingly, the Biden administration walked back her statements under pressure from the teachers’ unions, who keep moving the goalposts. To cite just one example, many local unions said they’d return once all teachers were vaccinated. But once that demand was accepted, they came back and said that ventilation systems had to be replaced. And even then, some unions said that their members shouldn’t return to work until the virus was eliminated. We all know that will never happen and that we’ll have to live with some level of risk. But to some of these union leaders, ANY level of risk is unacceptable.

Political leaders should be in the forefront of getting kids back in classrooms. But anyone who thinks that either Biden or Inslee will get crossways with the teachers’ unions on this is delusional.
Some union leaders need to never work again.

This will just have to remain a slow and painful process.

Religion of wokeism...

Old 02-27-2021, 07:55 PM

527 posts, read 386,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
What does gratitude have to do with anything? This is about managing the death rate.
This is exactly it..... “just be grateful your not dead from covid” that’s exactly how they want us to think.

Old 02-27-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
It’s extremely difficult to compare between states with different demographics, especially if you have different metrics of what ‘combating the virus’ means. Like, was their per capita infection and/or death rate better than WA? Or is their rate currently going down the same as us, but more deaths/illnesses occurred? Or did they peak at a different time? Or would it have been even worse here without the restrictions? And was it in cities or elsewhere? How crowded are those places? What was their compliance with safety measures?
Ultimately you do the best you can with the value judgements you made, and there’s just a lot of uncertainty... NO ONE can truly know the effect of each particular regulation.
I understand there’s no 100 equal comparison....

But Iowa, the Dakotas, florida, and others, Take your choice, but don’t deny that any comparison can’t be made.

Old 02-27-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
First, COVID-19 is real... Thanks to China!! I don’t doubt the science either, but since COVID is now part of our lives for years to come, we better learn how to live with it, function within it and get back to our daily lives.

Our people and the regional/national economies cannot survive too much more of this lockdown or semi-lock downs without this doing serious long term damage to every aspects of our lives. All my kids are grown, but I do worry about the kids not being in school, which is one of the long term effects I’m truly concerned with.

Since the Global Economy is reality, many of kids will not be able to compete, successfully, within it. Especially children from the lower end of the working-class. No amount of politically correct talk or sugar coating this with more fake and useless “reimagining” solutions. Seriously, what “reimagining” solutions, in the last 10 years has ever work? Has reimagining the homeless, drug, crime, police and the social justice/injustice problems ever worked?? Honestly, the term “reimagining” is code for doing nothing and kicking the can further down the street. I’m shocked that people don’t see this.

I was a first responder for the first year of this pandemic before retiring and so were thousands of more people from doctors and nurses to truck drivers and store clerks in the Seattle area. If they can step up to the plate and do their part in protecting and serving our communities, why can’t the teachers, at all grade levels, do their part? I know that the Teacher’s Union is very powerful, but our elected officials need to do what is right for the kids and forget, for at least the moment, the money that the Teacher’s Union doles out to their campaigns and other “special project,” which is code for lining the pockets of our elected officials with laundered money.
Thank you for your service. Really respect and appreciate your expressions here.

Old 02-27-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I'm noticing more of my sons' teachers doing "asynchronous" lessons on Fridays... good indication that they're leaving town for the weekend...

Maybe if the tech workers were sent back into the office their teacher wives would no longer have an incentive to stay home and plan extended weekends skiing.
Very sad to hear. Thank you for sharing

Old 02-27-2021, 08:04 PM

Quote:
He's not quiet on schools. He's been traveling the state, visiting classrooms and hosted a discussion about a week ago in a campaign/plead to other districts that it's time to get the kids back in school.

But regardless it's still his fault for putting the fear of God in everyone and shutting us down for as long as he did. An administrator for one of the northern districts even said that the longer this goes on the more comfortable teachers and staff are going to be with continuing remote education.

What comes around, goes around... and it all goes back to Inslee. I hope he suffers massively for this. I have so much anger it's making me physically unwell.
Our kids are suffering immensely. Very sad.

Old 02-27-2021, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifoso View Post

Very, very well said!

Thank you for expressing this.

Sadly this is what they want. Divide us and we lose our collective power.

Divided people are easier to manipulate and control
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area