Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2023, 10:20 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,727 posts, read 58,079,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scully2010 View Post
I'm resurfacing this thread from two years ago that I started .... We are now planning to wait and move when our son, now a high school sophomore, is out of school in 2-1/2 years. He'll be in college and we won't have to make him change schools. ...
Precisely the time I would move to WA ... NOW!!!!

No need to wait for college, go NOW and for free in WA State. (Instead of wasting time sitting in a HS daycare)

https://www.google.com/search?q=runn...&ie=UTF-8#ip=1

Find the best CC or U location for son to complete his AA before HS graduation, and rent while waiting and looking for your future home. The profs and learning experience of our kids, and 20,000 others per yr using Running Start, was a huge lifetime benefit. They had excellent education/ learning. No social games, great jobs and opportunities - and leapfrogged the pack in earnings, travel, experience, career, growing up, being set free. They were also able to have drama, music, debate, as well as letter in 6 sports. Without the HS peer garbage.

Consider Bremerton as a place for Running Start, and exploring the Olympic peninsula, as well as Seattle close by via passenger ferry. Many of the students at CC will be on GI Bill, so no more HS antics. These older students often have families and jobs and experience that will augment the serious and diligent learning and applications in their courses. They are very good communicators and a joy and benefit to have in your class. (From prof and student perspective).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2023, 11:06 AM

13,075 posts, read 7,519,082 times
^ that's a pretty good suggestion.
Seattle area is entering the "dark" season and the end of DST on Nov 5.
Goodbye to the sun, moon, and sky for the next 5 months. Hello wetter.
But hotels are probably going to offer their 40% winter discounts (except for game days) if they haven't done so already.
Book early for airline. Snowbirds take their time getting to warmer-sunnier climates.
ymmv

Old 10-28-2023, 11:07 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,709,795 times
You really have to visit these places. Lots of people get a surprise when it isn't like what they imagined and end up in a completely different area than they planned on from research. There are lots of intangibles.

Old 10-28-2023, 02:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,727 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
...There are lots of intangibles.
and lots of changes during the 'seasons-of-retirement'.

The most amazing and difficult thing for me in retirement is how radically my interests and abilities have changed. Some of them... Completely different than I expected.

Huge change when you become empty nesters (at last)
Then, without having to waste 40 - 60 hrs / week answering to a j-o-b.
Then,, the stuff that comes your way, once you are free... +/-
Then,,, unlimited opportunities to do stuff you never knew you liked, but are now very enjoyable

Plus a bunch of stuff you now need to do and hadn't expected to do. (eldercare / siblings / friends / volunteer commitments, re-evaluating priorities...)

And even stuff you liked to do 50 yrs ago, and suddenly realize you can now do again... (Lap swimming for me) FREE as a Silver Sneaker (on some HC programs)

It all adds up to a very different life, than you 'planned'.

Plus the seasons of retirement...(Which may come at any time, usually unplanned or expected)
  • Go-Go
  • Slow-Go
  • No-Go

Old 10-29-2023, 11:57 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,281,603 times
Quote:

What is Port Angeles like? Is that a good area for a couple who work from home with fully remote jobs, who are liberal, and want gorgeous views without quite as much cloudiness and rain as Seattle? We are not big on going out for entertainment, so having access to travel options (Seattle is close enough for cruises and the airport) and outdoor options for hiking, etc., is much more important to us than going to the theater, restaurants, etc.

We will retire in about 8-10 years, so this move is a pre-retirement move and if we like the area we choose, we'll stay there. My husband is 52 and I'm 55.
Erm...I would personally visit PA and stay there for a while to see if you even like it...It does have good access to ONP and a direct ferry to Victoria, but getting to/from Seattle and SeaTac will be a slog. Port Townsend is probably closer to what you're looking for, but even then I would rather live in several other places, particularly Anacortes, Poulsbo, or Silverdale which are all less isolated and within your budget. The Olympic Peninsula is stunning, but decidedly not for everyone. If money were no object, we'd move to the San Juans and live there and find creative ways to deal with the isolation there since we'd be rich and wouldn't care

That said, as someone who moved here from California and had near 'perfect' weather for 9/12 months a year, I was worried that the climate here would be too much to handle and I was dead wrong. Yes, it does get grey and rainy from October-May, but it's not constant and it's definitely a lot easier to deal with if you actively enjoy nature and take advantage of it.

FWIW, we ended up in SW unincorporated King County and love being so close to SeaTac since we travel a lot, and we're also less than 30 mins from BOTH Seattle and Tacoma. I can't imagine being 2-3 hours from a major city and airport at this stage of my life, but some people don't see either of those as necessary. YMMV.

Old 10-30-2023, 01:05 AM

7,597 posts, read 3,260,039 times
Quote:
Thanks for all of the input. I've been looking at Tacoma and it looks very interesting, as does Olympia. My brother who lived in Seattle suggested I check out Port Townsend and the San Juan Islands.

The three main regions of the US my husband and I are considering for our move are the general Seattle area, the Tucson area, and Colorado Springs. All very different, but all very interesting in their own way. We just visited the Denver area and ruled that out (he used to live there), and I lived in Phoenix and briefly in Tucson in the past. But we'll have to visit all three remaining cities/regions and see how we feel about them at our current age and needs. Doing this advance research is very helpful. Thanks again.
My sister had a great house down in Monument (just North of Colorado Springs) on a half acre. I believe that area is more the Red Team -- there's a lot of military down that way as you probably realize. Now they are back 100% in Texas.

I think you need to visit; but, you probably realize the last few years have not been good to the downtown areas in the PNW. The nicer / safer areas really are the suburbs now. The play is the PNW. Seattle may be one of the best places to ride out climate change.

Old 11-06-2023, 06:16 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,109,199 times
If your kid is happy stay where you are.

Old 11-06-2023, 11:16 AM

13,075 posts, read 7,519,082 times
JMO,
Live either near the water either salt or fresh, (30 ft above mean water level) at the top of a hill. You may get lucky to get either a waterfront or unobstructed view from a hillside. Living in an highrise in downtown Seattle/Bellevue does not guarantee a view forever. Speaking of views, many Seattle companies in have unbelievable views, DS has worked in such environments (open workspace) and I wonder how anyone gets anything done.

The issue with the PNW is that we have trees. Tall cedar/fir trees and growing trees do and will obstruct views. The only remedy to that is do your research and be fast in making the decision once you decide.
Most of Seattle area, one rapidly access the main arterials for popular destinations so chose to be close to an express bus or light-rail station. It's really amazing how far one go in 2 hours either by auto, public transportation, or bike. As for a student-young adult, this area is an outdoor and activity paradise. Student fares (free) can get the student a long ways from home. Seniors (me, @$1) can cheaply get to places without driving. One can see a lot within that time frame.

We live in Redmond WA (15 miles from Seattle). 30-45 minutes by express bus to WestLake (PikePlace/downtown). Seatac 1.5 hours by public bus/rail or ~30min by car. Our son and DIL live in Redmond and commute to Seattle when necessary; Son does it Express bus/light rail. DIL does it by company commuter bus. I will begin doing more indoor venues, theater and TownhallsSeattle events this winter.

DS took us to Leavenworth/high lakes early October to view the fall leaves. Since then we've stayed home and viewed fall colors in the low lands. It's about done. The Big Wet is upon us.

Caution, it is dark and damp in the Nov-Mar. My sciatic problems and wife's migraines become mobility factors but are somewhat predictable by watching Pacific weather pressure changes and long PNW residents 70 years. If need daylight-sun exposure, this area will not be for you during the dark months.
April-Nov are great. We do have a lot of "snowbirds".
YMMV

Old 11-06-2023, 11:21 AM

7,597 posts, read 3,260,039 times
You do need to be extra careful buying homes on a hillside in the PNW. You would need extra scrutiny surrounding the foundation and settling issues. Also, landslides are not covered by homeowner's insurance.

Old 11-09-2023, 01:20 PM

102,215 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
If we move in the next few years, while he's still in school, then yes, we will enroll him in school. He's 13 right now, going into 8th grade. He's been in private school his whole life, so we're open to private or public school options. He has mild learning disabilities (ADHD, dyslexia, etc) so it needs to be a school that can handle those issues. We are open to the greater Seattle area, not just within the city limits.
Maple Valley is more affordable, has view lots and good schools, while being within the greater Seattle area to the south. Several people who relocated there from out of state love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area