Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 08:54 AM

342 posts, read 319,314 times

Advertisements

Gig Harbor sounds promising, as does Mukilteo. I'm still researching. However, now my husband has a possible job option in Atlanta, so that might delay our BIG move for pre-retirement. In some ways speed it up because the new salary would be a big boost, but we'll see. My job is fully remote, so I can work anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Arizona and Washington could not be much different. Hot and bleak vs cool and beautiful.

The Islands - you will need a subscription for any big medical issue with flight medical care.

Colorado Springs - ho hum

Mukilteo...water views superb police force and within 15 minutes of a major medical center Providence.

If quality of life is your determining factor come here.
Ah, see, I don't consider the desert hot and bleak at all. It is hot, but it's far from bleak. It's thrumming with life. I just loved it when I lived there. On one hike down through ranch country we ran into a wild javelina eating prickly pear cactus and could smell the urine from mountain lions as they were tucked away on ledges overlooking the trails watching us from a distance. The Sonoran desert looks bleak until you're down in it at ground level. Then it just pops. I've seen tarantulas on the trail after a rain, I've hiked up mountains among the pines, I've seen rattlesnakes sunning on rocks. I've also killed more than my share of scorpions the year I lived in an apartment that was newly built on top of a wash. That was pretty ugh. But I do love the desert. I love the water, too, having lived at the beach in the South Bay in Los Angeles for a few years. And the mountains. I love a lot of different environments.

Old 09-03-2021, 06:32 AM

Well, all of this is on hold for a few years. My husband accepted a job in the Phoenix area, so that's where we'll be moving when our son is out of 8th grade next May. We're excited! I'm sure I'll revisit potential retirement spots, just down the road. First we'll take this detour. Life is fun.

Old 09-03-2021, 09:17 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,879,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scully2010 View Post
Well, all of this is on hold for a few years. My husband accepted a job in the Phoenix area, so that's where we'll be moving when our son is out of 8th grade next May. We're excited! I'm sure I'll revisit potential retirement spots, just down the road. First we'll take this detour. Life is fun.
Best to you and family. Phoenix is a good point to seek AZ adventure from. Some beautiful areas there and COL is lower especially when it comes to real estate.

Old 09-03-2021, 11:38 AM

8,069 posts, read 8,361,243 times
Here's one in Edmonds:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...38444760_zpid/ (Meadowdale HS 8/10 College Readiness)

To be close to UW Medical Center (and a Cascades/Lake Washington view), see:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...49073865_zpid/ (Roosevelt HS 9/10)

Old 09-26-2021, 04:16 AM

6 posts, read 10,684 times
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...48878702_zpid/

I grew up around here, North Beach/Blue Ridge and sunset hill. Great neighborhood and there's some really good schools around. Swedish Hospital is very close by in Ballard as well as Northwest hospital in Northgate.

Old 10-22-2023, 04:27 PM

I'm resurfacing this thread from two years ago that I started because my husband and I are still researching places to live in the Pacific NW and the Seattle area keeps beckoning us. We are now planning to wait and move when our son, now a high school sophomore, is out of school in 2-1/2 years. He'll be in college and we won't have to make him change schools. So, planning vacations and such for the next two years to places we might move.

What is Port Angeles like? Is that a good area for a couple who work from home with fully remote jobs, who are liberal, and want gorgeous views without quite as much cloudiness and rain as Seattle? We are not big on going out for entertainment, so having access to travel options (Seattle is close enough for cruises and the airport) and outdoor options for hiking, etc., is much more important to us than going to the theater, restaurants, etc.

We will retire in about 8-10 years, so this move is a pre-retirement move and if we like the area we choose, we'll stay there. My husband is 52 and I'm 55.

Old 10-22-2023, 07:19 PM

8,170 posts, read 8,292,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scully2010 View Post
I'm resurfacing this thread from two years ago that I started because my husband and I are still researching places to live in the Pacific NW and the Seattle area keeps beckoning us. We are now planning to wait and move when our son, now a high school sophomore, is out of school in 2-1/2 years. He'll be in college and we won't have to make him change schools. So, planning vacations and such for the next two years to places we might move.

What is Port Angeles like? Is that a good area for a couple who work from home with fully remote jobs, who are liberal, and want gorgeous views without quite as much cloudiness and rain as Seattle? We are not big on going out for entertainment, so having access to travel options (Seattle is close enough for cruises and the airport) and outdoor options for hiking, etc., is much more important to us than going to the theater, restaurants, etc.

We will retire in about 8-10 years, so this move is a pre-retirement move and if we like the area we choose, we'll stay there. My husband is 52 and I'm 55.
Hello again Scully, Port Townsend would be a much better fit, liberally speaking . It’s also in the rain shadow so is dryer than Seattle.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 10-22-2023 at 07:42 PM..

Old 10-27-2023, 10:43 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
If proximity to a good hospital is one of your priorities, check out the Kitsap Peninsula too: Silverdale has a good hospital.

Also take a look at Edmonds, north of Seattle. It has a small town feel, but is near Seattle for anything you might need from a city, and has a hospital. It's on Puget Sound, so it's similar to Port Angeles and Port Townsend in that respect, but it's not as isolated as those two. It's worth checking out. Has a nice downtown and ferry service to the Kitsap Peninsula.

Old 10-28-2023, 01:07 AM

8,069 posts, read 8,361,243 times
The Everett, Tacoma, and Olympia areas have good hospitals and clinics, and are good jumping off spots to recreation: hiking, camping, fishing, boating, etc. Not having to worry about high-scoring high schools should give you a lot more choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area