Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 11:54 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,668,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoods15 View Post
Because the unvaccinated are clogging up the hospitals with COVID cases which makes it so that people can't get care for other things - that's been all over the news, it's no mystery.
I think generally people understand that there are more deaths in FL. I certainly do. But I understand that despite the differences between our public policy and theirs... it's not substantially better... In addition, if you compare WA numbers with WA policy to FL numbers to FL policy, you see that the policy doesn't seem to really move the dial. If that were the case than our numbers should have nearly flatlined a month ago. We shouldn't be as high as we are, basically still higher than most of the third wave of last fall/winter when we didn't even have indoor dining, events or sports. According to the data would appear that policies of vaccination and mask-wearing haven't given WA the relief that shutting down the economy provided.
[url]https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/washington/[/url] At least that what one would conclude only looking at WA.

Yet in FL, without the mandates... yes they went up, very high even..

But now it's very, very low.

[url]https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/florida/[/url]

No mandates required. It just happened.

So explain why the mandates are necessary for WA if they haven't been necessary for FL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2021, 12:21 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
I am not a statistician or a public health professional so I cannot in good faith help you with those questions.

However, I'd much rather live in an area that prioritizes extra measures of safety out of an abundance of caution. If you'd not, then it honestly sounds like the Puget Sound and Western Washington is just not a good fit for you, culturally.

I'm certainly not moving to Florida and complaining about my perceived lack of public safety. So, there you go.

Old 10-06-2021, 12:43 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I am not a statistician or a public health professional so I cannot in good faith help you with those questions.

However, I'd much rather live in an area that prioritizes extra measures of safety out of an abundance of caution. If you'd not, then it honestly sounds like the Puget Sound and Western Washington is just not a good fit for you, culturally.

I'm certainly not moving to Florida and complaining about my perceived lack of public safety. So, there you go.
Yes just in case. This is everything that has been happening in the last 20 months. Nobody can explain the idiocy why 2 year old children need to wear a mask on the plane. This insanity does not exist in any other country in the world. In Europe no child under at least school age and in many instances under 10 wears a mask, but in the US a 2 year old gets kicked out of the plane if they refuse a mask... So sick of this nonsense.

Old 10-06-2021, 12:52 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,262 times
I live over in West Seattle. I was taking my daily 3 mile stroll and I walked by a group of probably 50 young kids between the ages of 10-14. This was on a Saturday. Apparently they have all banded together to pick up trash off the beaches as an organized group. Applaud the effort but was a bit surprised not one of them was wearing a mask. Granted they were outdoors but they were still clustered around horse playing like kids that age do.

I think folks will look for any excuse to de-mask. They are tired of being held hostage and will roll the dice nobody gets sick.

Old 10-06-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post

You do it because it seems like it should or might provide extra safety, but the numbers and data that I'm providing shows that the precautions aren't really changing anything, thus you're not really extra safe.

And you're not questioning this approach at all? You just go along with it even though it doesn't, according to data, appear to be particularly effective?

The mask mandates aren't changing anything. FL numbers have plummeted and they are unmasked... outdoors and indoors

And please go on about WA not being a cultural "fit" for me.

Are you implying that covid policy is culturally, not data driven?

Whoa...

No. This state is perfectly fine for my family. I think some Seattleites have swung too far in a few areas, but I think in time variables will change and so will a few beliefs and corresponding policies.

Old 10-06-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I live over in West Seattle. I was taking my daily 3 mile stroll and I walked by a group of probably 50 young kids between the ages of 10-14. This was on a Saturday. Apparently they have all banded together to pick up trash off the beaches as an organized group. Applaud the effort but was a bit surprised not one of them was wearing a mask. Granted they were outdoors but they were still clustered around horse playing like kids that age do.

I think folks will look for any excuse to de-mask. They are tired of being held hostage and will roll the dice nobody gets sick.
The children 12 and over are very likely vaccinated (like mine). Also, if you haven't heard by now (which I doubt) kids don't get nearly as sick or die as the old folks do.

It's not really a roll of the dice with them.

Old 10-06-2021, 01:04 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
The children 12 and over are very likely vaccinated (like mine). Also, if you haven't heard by now (which I doubt) kids don't get nearly as sick or die as the old folks do.

It's not really a roll of the dice with them.

But I bet they are required to wear masks and social distance all day long at school!

Old 10-06-2021, 01:15 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times
Those kids sound like good kids doing the right thing volunteering with that clean up.
Good on them.

I don’t think anybody would blink an eye at them or give them a second thought if they were seated in a restaurant without their mask on.
Which situation do you think is safer?

Sounds like they have common sense.

Old 10-06-2021, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
But I bet they are required to wear masks and social distance all day long at school!
Welllll... Yeess.... they are.... but... umm...

How do I put it?

As a joke?

Because that's exactly what enforcing social distancing and masking amongst 2500 teenagers becomes.

And it's not all their fault by the way. For example, you know how there is a bus driver shortage across the country because of the Covid-induced "Great Resignation"? Well, there have been at least one time where there weren't enough bus drivers for the day so they have had to combine two routes. In other words: they doubled up. My son took a photo and sent it to me that day. He thought it was hilarious... him and his buddies "stacking" (as he puts it). A real "bro" moment. Not that it matters because these boys, when out of school, are basically "stacking" anyway.

I'm sure there is some mitigation happening. I'm sure some kids are playing safer than others (as with other behaviors) but for my kid and his friend group... yeah it's a joke.

At least they're all vaccinated though.

Oh and here is another dumb thing:

Because of Covid they cancelled the Homecoming dance which I heard is usually done at school. As an alternative they are having a formal event hosted by the Seattle Aquarium.

So much safer! I'm literally laughing out loud as I write this.

So stupid.

Last edited by flyingsaucermom; 10-06-2021 at 01:44 PM..

Old 10-06-2021, 04:17 PM

306 posts, read 102,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I was watching the Mariners/A's games this past week and noticed that only about 30% of the people in the stands were wearing masks!!!

With the pandemic spreading....is this another of Governor Inslee's stunts?? Issue and mask order and not enforce it???

Why are western Washington residents always exempt from his orders??

We CANNOT have King County residents spreading the virus ONCE AGAIN into eastern Washington. I just spent last week in Garfield County and EVERYBODY was wearing a mask.

Please do your part and wear your mask....it is not just a good idea, it is AN ORDER from the Governor!!
just for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Isn't there a MANDATORY mask ordinance in King County???-govern-me-harder-daddy.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area