Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 02:42 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,673,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC_WA View Post
... and no, people aren't dying in Florida. Not anymore than they are dying in Washington.
Ten times more died in Florida this week than in Washington. Maybe check the facts before you go off on a rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2021, 03:18 PM

22 posts, read 16,894 times
Quote:
... and no, people aren't dying in Florida. Not anymore than they are dying in Washington.
Demonstrably false. Here's some data:

Overall as of October 5th:

Florida
Total deaths: 55,619
Per 100,000: 257.5

Washington
Total deaths: 7,807
Per 100,000: 102

Current deaths / day:

Florida: 246
Washington: 39

You can tell pretty plainly which sate has had safer, more effective leadership when it comes to COVID cases and deaths. It's not Florida.

Data from Johns Hopkins University.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:07 PM

367 posts, read 304,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoods15 View Post

Florida

Washington

Current deaths / day:

You can tell pretty plainly which sate has had safer, more effective leadership when it comes to COVID cases and deaths. It's not Florida.

Here’s where your reasoning fails:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...s-us-by-state/

NY/NJ/RI/MA/CT are all about the same #s or higher than FL. Yet NY/NJ/RI/MA/CT ran with the same restrictions that WA did. So why did those 5 fare so much more poorly?

Also, Alaska has no mandates in place and has fared better than Washington. Weird.

Missouri is faring better than Illinois, despite Missouri having had almost no restrictions and IL being practically as devoid of freedom as Washington.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:10 PM

367 posts, read 304,624 times
Quote:
I hear that there are now mandates in Washington again and I won't be able to go to a restaurant or sporting event without showing my vaccine card. What's funny is being vaccinated doesn't prevent you from getting it.
That’s the part that doesn’t make any sense. Anyone could be fully vaccinated now. Unvaccinated are no threat to vaccinated. So why are vaccinated so up in arms about unvaccinated? Seems the unvaccinated don’t care a bit about vaccinated or unvaccinated. Unvaccinated are at this point ACCEPTING RISK.

So what’s the problem here?

Old 10-05-2021, 07:22 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoods15 View Post

Florida

Washington

Current deaths / day:

Not the full picture. You also have to look at demographics such as: (per world population review)

1,117,673 seniors in WA vs. 4,205,428 seniors in FL

Also small differences such as there re 5% more people living in poverty in FL than WA. WA incomes are higher across the board too.

But mostly having nearly 4x the number of old people with a disease that specifically kills old people is going to mess with numbers. Regardless of "effective leadership".

You wanna say this isn't true?

Old 10-05-2021, 07:45 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,079,464 times
I take any quickly posted statistics with a grain of salt.
Statistics are often quoted (and bent) to further an agenda or a belief.

When some of last numbers were posted it was plain as day that they seemed somehow to omit the elderly population of Florida.

We will continue running around in circles until there are some honest legitimate discussions on this topic that are not based on politics or blind beliefs.

Me? As an independent I’m always open to see some unbiased information but if it remains what appears to be the same political jibberish I will continue to doubt it.

Old 10-06-2021, 08:44 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,272,247 times
Here's the thing that I don't understand:

According to this chart (I Googled it, but the source is the New York Times),

https://www.google.com/search?q=covi...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Inslee's indoor mask mandate was re-implemented on August 23rd, and then the ridiculous outdoor-in-group mask mandate went into effect on September 12th.

According to the graph above, NEITHER of those dates resulted in any significant drop in overall cases, even 2-weeks later. Not even a SLIGHT drop or even leveling-out after the indoor mask mandate.

It could be argued that cases started to drop in the last 2 weeks or so, which MAY have been related to the outdoor mask mandate, but that may just be due to current trends in the virus surges. Florida's cases have been dropping for about 4 weeks now, after NO mandates - so I suspect the recent drop is coincidence and unrelated to the outdoor mask mandate.

So...what good did these mandates do?

I am still convinced that these government officials really have no idea what they are doing, and the mask mandates are just an attempt to quell mass-panic by having people wear masks to feel like they are "doing something to help".

Of course, the mass-panic is mostly created by the media, but that's a whole different topic...

Old 10-06-2021, 10:55 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Here's the thing that I don't understand:

According to this chart (I Googled it, but the source is the New York Times),

[url]https://www.google.com/search?q=covid+cases+washington+state&rlz=1C1CHBF_ enUS893US893&oq=covid+cases+washington+state&aqs=c hrome..69i57j0i512l8j0i131i433i512.9168j0j7&source id=chrome&ie=UTF-8[/url]

Inslee's indoor mask mandate was re-implemented on August 23rd, and then the ridiculous outdoor-in-group mask mandate went into effect on September 12th.

According to the graph above, NEITHER of those dates resulted in any significant drop in overall cases, even 2-weeks later. Not even a SLIGHT drop or even leveling-out after the indoor mask mandate.

It could be argued that cases started to drop in the last 2 weeks or so, which MAY have been related to the outdoor mask mandate, but that may just be due to current trends in the virus surges. Florida's cases have been dropping for about 4 weeks now, after NO mandates - so I suspect the recent drop is coincidence and unrelated to the outdoor mask mandate.

So...what good did these mandates do?

I am still convinced that these government officials really have no idea what they are doing, and the mask mandates are just an attempt to quell mass-panic by having people wear masks to feel like they are "doing something to help".

Of course, the mass-panic is mostly created by the media, but that's a whole different topic...
And if cases are already dropping -everywhere- why the need for a proof of vaccine card mandate?

Look at mandate-free Florida now: [url]https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/florida/[/url]

Old 10-06-2021, 11:00 AM

That's all a lot of words for people who don't seem to be willing to admit that the statement:
"... and no, people aren't dying in Florida. Not anymore than they are dying in Washington."
was just straight up wrong. That's all I pointed out, and I think it's pretty obvious that it is - maybe think about why that obvious fact seems to make yall feel so uncomfortable and combative.

If your retort to 'FL has 10x the deaths of WA' is that 'well, FL has 3x the population of WA so it's still the same actually' then the math just isn't mathing for you. I don't know how to help with that.

Old 10-06-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerp View Post
That’s the part that doesn’t make any sense. Anyone could be fully vaccinated now. Unvaccinated are no threat to vaccinated. So why are vaccinated so up in arms about unvaccinated? Seems the unvaccinated don’t care a bit about vaccinated or unvaccinated. Unvaccinated are at this point ACCEPTING RISK.

So what’s the problem here?
Because the unvaccinated are clogging up the hospitals with COVID cases which makes it so that people can't get care for other things - that's been all over the news, it's no mystery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area