Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 12:25 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Yep the city needs to open up zoning, not necessarily in a big way, but to create opportunities for lower income residents. Don’t get me wrong this could just be a minor change that would help some without really disrupting the pattern of life in the city.
The arterial network can barely handle the current traffic loads in many parts of Seattle. I'm in favor of increasing density, but a wholesale upzoning of areas zoned as SFH to MFH, as some are advocating, would make what is already bad traffic much worse and significantly reduce the availability of free street parking. Upzoning should be done in conjunction with an equivalent expansion of transit services (Link light-rail, RapidRide BRT, and/or streetcars).

Want to upzone Wallingford, Fremont, and Ballard, beyond what is already being done? Run light-rail from Ballard, through N. Fremont and Wallingford, along the 46th/45th corridor, mostly tunneled, to the U-District Station. This can be done much sooner than light-rail through Interbay to Downtown (scheduled for 2039!), since it would not require, at least initially, the building of a second tunnel through Downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2022, 12:45 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
The arterial network is much more stressed by adding additional residential units at the end of the line (Everett, SW Pierce County, Snoqualmie) than by densifying places like Wallingford. Adding density to Wallingford instead of Snohomish County will actually reduce the traffic stress on the arterial network ....

As for adding an E-W light rail through North Seattle, I mean, I'd love to see it, but who's paying for it? Nationally, the Democrats can't get their reps in line to vote for anything, the Republicans would commit hari-kiri before passing meaningful public transportation funding, and locally, I have high doubts that Snohomish and especially Pierce counties would vote to fund a King County-only light rail line. That would leave King County. We're already heavily taxed to build the light rail network we have under construction. The tabs on my 11 year old car are hundreds of dollars ...

Old 01-06-2022, 07:43 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Of course public transit funding is complicated. Sorting out where the money is coming from is complicated. But a democratic administration is helpful. Might as well try and milk it when government is mostly on your side.

Old 01-06-2022, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
...I have high doubts that Snohomish and especially Pierce counties would vote to fund a King County-only light rail line.
The Downtown to Ballard extension, "a King County-only light rail line," was approved by voters in 2016, as was the Downtown to West Seattle extension. I'm proposing replacing the 7-mile Downtown/Ballard line with a 3.2-mile Ballard/U-District lin, which can be built sooner and would cost much less, due to being half as long and building a second Downtown tunnel no longer being necessary.

Old 01-06-2022, 10:10 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
The Downtown to Ballard extension, "a King County-only light rail line," was approved by voters in 2016, as was the Downtown to West Seattle extension. I'm proposing replacing the 7-mile Downtown/Ballard line with a 3.2-mile Ballard/U-District lin, which can be built sooner and would cost much less, due to being half as long and building a second Downtown tunnel no longer being necessary.
Really good idea but I’m worried all those Ballard tech workers might not be as interested in using the system if they thought they had to go “all the way around”, versus a line that would zip them (presumably) straight south to SLU and Downtown.

Old 01-07-2022, 10:21 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
West Seattle to Ballard was approved as part of the ST3 package, which included investment in Pierce and Snohomish Counties. Even then, Pierce County rejected it.

This is a moot point, because we cannot substantially alter the terms of ST3 in this way by moving a line by such a huge geography. So, the only way to do this would be to go back to the voters for additional funding, or find some other kind of funding like federal dollars. What I'm saying is I highly doubt Snoho or Pierce residents have the appetite to re-fund a Seattle line.

At any rate, I agree that a Ballard-Wallingford-U District(-Kirkland?) line would substantially help densify North Seattle and would be a huge boon to our area. But the political and financial likelihood of it happening are fairly slim.

Old 01-07-2022, 01:58 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,284 times
In medium-density urban areas, like virtually all of Seattle including the so-called "urban villages" like Northgate and the University District that were designated in the 1994 Comp Plan*, fixed rail is not a cost-effective means of encouraging (or dealing with) increased residential density unless movement to high density is foreseen. (It is not in Seattle's case.)

(*Note 1994 is well before the full scope of the South Lake Union growth was comprehended, evidence its complete exclusion from the light rail network planning of the day.)

A "Ballard to U District" transit link could be accomplished at far, far lower capital and operating cost, and in a fraction of the time needed, by designation of busways and upgrading existing streets to accommodate state-of-the-art bus transit. Bus transit is scalable (need more seats or shorter headway times? Just buy more buses) and flexible, so that if employment development occurs in previously quiet areas (such as Interbay) you can add new service corridors without going through the massive regulatory and environmental hoops caused by rail; you can limit ROW acquisition costs (or related taking litigation) as well as all the legal and financial difficulties that come from bond issues, public votes, and all that.

The main losers in that scenario are the armies of lawyers, bond underwriters, civil engineering firms and construction companies, not to mention Sound Transit bureaucrats, who won't have their paychecks expanded or their careers extended in the process.

Old 01-07-2022, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
A "Ballard to U District" transit link could be accomplished at far, far lower capital and operating cost, and in a fraction of the time needed, by designation of busways and upgrading existing streets to accommodate state-of-the-art bus transit. Bus transit is scalable (need more seats or shorter headway times? Just buy more buses) and flexible, so that if employment development occurs in previously quiet areas (such as Interbay) you can add new service corridors without going through the massive regulatory and environmental hoops caused by rail; you can limit ROW acquisition costs (or related taking litigation) as well as all the legal and financial difficulties that come from bond issues, public votes, and all that.
Have you actually ridden transit (#44) through the Market/46th/45th Corridor? N 45th St through Wallingford is two general-traffic lanes, one turn-lane, and two parking lanes for much of its length (https://www.google.com/maps/place/N+...4d-122.3337416). The only way to shove BRT through there would be to take away the parking lanes (sound of businesses along that corridor screaming like stuck pigs).

I doubt that any transit enhancements would improve trip-times through there, which are scheduled at ~25 minutes during peak times (and often takes longer) from NW Market St & Ballard Ave NW to U-District Station. Light-rail, mostly tunneled, would likely take less than 10 minutes.

Old 01-07-2022, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Really good idea but I’m worried all those Ballard tech workers might not be as interested in using the system if they thought they had to go “all the way around”, versus a line that would zip them (presumably) straight south to SLU and Downtown.
Zip them south in 2039. To compensate, they could extend the S*L*U*T* out Westlake to Fremont and out Leary Way to Ballard. I can see the t-shirts now: "I Rode the S*L*U*T* (all the way to Snoose Junction)!"

Ballard to U-District Station (3 stops?) would = ~10 min + U-District to Westlake Station (2 stops) = 8 min, or less than 25 min. total (including one transfer).

They could eventually build a Downtown - SLU - LQA - Interbay - Ballard - Northgate line and extend the Ballard - U-District line across 520 to Kirkland.

Old 01-07-2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
This is a moot point, because we cannot substantially alter the terms of ST3 in this way by moving a line by such a huge geography. So, the only way to do this would be to go back to the voters for additional funding, or find some other kind of funding like federal dollars. What I'm saying is I highly doubt Snoho or Pierce residents have the appetite to re-fund a Seattle line.
They promised light-rail from Downtown via SLU to Ballard, but notice that ST2 promised light rail from Downtown via First Hill to Capitol Hill, but they eliminated the First Hill Station for budgetary reasons, substituting funding for the First Hill Streetcar, instead. They could eliminate the SLU Station for budgetary reasons, substituting funding to extend the SLU Streetcar to Fremont and Ballard, instead. The SLU to Ballard route was a blank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area