Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 11:23 AM

1,499 posts, read 1,676,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuncherBier View Post
Sorry, I should've clarified re: campsites. I'm talking about remote camping in the mountains, not campgrounds. Find a two track and follow it until you find a nice spot to pitch a tent. Most national forests allow this and some have areas where people have established camping area. I've been told it's tough to find spaces like these in CO now because it's so crowded.
The further you walk from the trailhead, the more spots are going to be free. After a mile uphill there is a steep dropoff in people camping even on weekends, but you are generally limited to places that are well established by previous campers because everywhere else is too sloped or covered in foliage (hammocks widen your choices dramatically)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2022, 11:41 AM

14,507 posts, read 12,155,143 times
Quote:
Interesting comment about the underbrush. That's something I noticed here a well. The vegetation is so thick you really can't get off a trail. In CO you can pretty much pitch a tent anywhere. Thanks for this insight.
Some more thoughts on "off campground" camping. In many state and national forests there are some camping areas that are more improved than others, some that are more rustic. When we camped alot, we were like you I think. We didn't want another camper next to us, a few yards away. We wanted nature, aloneness, privacy. We camped often in more rustic areas, where there were no bathrooms, outhouses, water, picnic tables, etc, and you are further from other people.

Let me say though, that in well managed public lands, these sites still, are established camp spaces, it's not just a free for all. In Washington, and I would guess also in Colorado, if you allowed people to just camp wherever they want, the woods would quickly be ruined. Not maliciously, but still inevitably, because tents and camps will smash and kill the native plants, cut up all the trees and branches to feed camp fires, and leave behind garbage and inevitable waste. Once trampled and turned to dirt and mud, these areas and native cover don't recover easily.

Any well managed public lands will discourage people from just pitching a tent anywhere. It might have worked 20 or 30 years ago... but there's too many people here now for that to work. People would love our public spaces to death.

If you really want to camp alone in pretty places, I'd seriously consider checking out some of the private camp b&b type places I linked above. They really may be just the ticket.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 01-13-2022 at 12:35 PM..

Old 01-13-2022, 01:58 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,491,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Some more thoughts on "off campground" camping. In many state and national forests there are some camping areas that are more improved than others, some that are more rustic. When we camped alot, we were like you I think. We didn't want another camper next to us, a few yards away. We wanted nature, aloneness, privacy. We camped often in more rustic areas, where there were no bathrooms, outhouses, water, picnic tables, etc, and you are further from other people.

Let me say though, that in well managed public lands, these sites still, are established camp spaces, it's not just a free for all. In Washington, and I would guess also in Colorado, if you allowed people to just camp wherever they want, the woods would quickly be ruined. Not maliciously, but still inevitably, because tents and camps will smash and kill the native plants, cut up all the trees and branches to feed camp fires, and leave behind garbage and inevitable waste. Once trampled and turned to dirt and mud, these areas and native cover don't recover easily.

Any well managed public lands will discourage people from just pitching a tent anywhere. It might have worked 20 or 30 years ago... but there's too many people here now for that to work. People would love our public spaces to death.

If you really want to camp alone in pretty places, I'd seriously consider checking out some of the private camp b&b type places I linked above. They really may be just the ticket.
I believe the rules, at least along USFS/DNR lands, are park off the road but not on vegetation and where a previous campsite has been set up (fire ring, etc.). Here are the rules for the Mt. Baker Snoqualmie National Forest: https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/mbs...17520&actid=34

Our federal/state public land roads get a beating from traffic, storms, and often there is not enough funds for repair so they are either closed (if washed out or mudslides occurred) or they are left as is then you have to contend with potholes and washboards.

One USFS road where my grandparents’s ashes are spread has been closed for several years. They sometimes take a survey to find out which roads people want open. At $1 million plus a mile, not much gets repaired. With the amount of rain, snow and winds we have had this year, there may be too much damage to repair all.

Old 01-15-2022, 07:11 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,057,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
...............One USFS road where my grandparents’s ashes are spread has been closed for several years They sometimes take a survey to find out which roads people want open. At $1 million plus a mile, not much gets repaired. With the amount of rain, snow and winds we have had this year, there may be too much damage to repair all.

Just so you know....that is against the law.

Almost all Forest Service employees think that it is a stupid law.

Just do it in private, without public or FS employees around. You never know when you will run into that one in a million jerk.

Old 01-16-2022, 01:44 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,491,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Just so you know....that is against the law.

Almost all Forest Service employees think that it is a stupid law.

Just do it in private, without public or FS employees around. You never know when you will run into that one in a million jerk.
Oh, I didn’t know that. My grandfather was a local logger and always felt at home in the woods. My grandmother is a native Washingtonian.Their ashes were scattered over 20 years ago.

Old 01-16-2022, 01:39 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,166,642 times
I spent three years in Colorado Springs in my early 20s. Moved to Seattle for my career at age 24 and I’ve lived here ever sense. I’m coming up on retirement age in 3 or 4 years. Seattle has been great and my wife and I agree it’s been a great ride. But come retirement, we will leave Seattle and by far the number one reason is the weather. Fair to say my wife and I have tolerated it but we’ll never be big fans of it.

I used to love the weather in Colorado apart from the thunderstorms which used to scare the daylights out of me. But you know, many people enjoy the rain so Seattle may be a great fit for you.

Best of luck to you.

Old 01-19-2022, 08:57 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,195,184 times
Quote:
Hello,

My wife and I used to live in the Denver area and loved nothing more than heading up into the mountains to climb, camp, trail run, etc. We loved the sun, blue skies, and dry weather. The lack of mosquitos was amazing as well. We now live on the east coast and are itching to get back. Some of our friends who still live in CO tell us it's changed and is so crowded now you really can't get away like we used to.

I have an opportunity to relocate to the Seattle area. We know we'd love the culture, recreation, and natural beauty. We've never visited so have no first-hand experience with the weather. Obviously, the stereotype is rain and cloudy all the time. But people who've never lived in Denver think it's Blizzards all the time too. I look at websites like weatherspark but find personal experience is much more valuable.

I'd love to hear from some of you, especially if you've lived in CO.

1) I'm know the weather is amazing in the summer. What is the length of time you consider summer (months where its dry enough and warm enough to camp or t enjoy being outside - doesn't need to be shorts and t-shirts weather)? We can camp when it's cool weather but needs to be relatively sunny and dry.

2) How bad are mosquitos? I hear conflicting information.

3) I understand it's humid in the summer but with the cooler temps, does it feel sticky?

4) What we loved about CO is everyone wants to be outside as much as possible. With no bugs and no humidity, you leave your windows open and pretty much sit outside for everything. Eating, breweries, porch at home, etc. Is this possible in the Seattle Area for more than a couple of months?

5) Is it possible to find relatively quiet, uncrowded, camp sites within 3 hours of Seattle or is it overcrowded like CO?

6) How long is your gray, rainy, winter season? Is it rainy enough that you don't want to be outside?

I know it won't be CO weather, but CO isn't an option for us right now. If you can relate to what we loved about CO, do you think Seattle will be a decent option to get us back into the culture, geography, and recreation that we love?

Thanks

1) June - October
2) There are some, but its not bad at all. And like in CO the higher you go the less bugs are around.
3)Humid? Its not humid here in the summer. At least compared to the east coast.
4)I lived in Colorado for 5 years. Outdoor activity is the same here as CO, if not higher.
5)You can find them 1-2 hours away.
6) Im going on 5 years here. This has been the first gray late fall/winter so far. Its hit or mis.

IMHO - Seattle is 20X more scenic than Denver. If standing in Denver and your looking east, its flat as a board.
Standing in Seattle you have snow cap mountains in any direction you look including a 14,000ft volcano.

This is the last time I will share this info. We don't need another growth spurt.

Old 01-19-2022, 11:44 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,427,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
IMHO - Seattle is 20X more scenic than Denver. If standing in Denver and your looking east, its flat as a board. Standing in Seattle you have snow cap mountains in any direction you look including a 14,000ft volcano.

This is the last time I will share this info. We don't need another growth spurt.
+1

View within Seattle proper just before sunrise (own photo). Denver does not remotely compare despite its scenic reputation.

You can also get decent skiing within a 60 minute drive from downtown Seattle. You can't do that in Denver.

Old 01-20-2022, 04:22 AM

48 posts, read 64,641 times
Thanks all. No question it's an insanely gorgeous area. We may have the opportunity to choose between Denver, Seattle, Phoenix, San Francisco, or LA. Ultimately, it's about the weather and recreation.

Old 01-20-2022, 07:17 AM

8,174 posts, read 8,317,242 times
Quote:
Thanks all. No question it's an insanely gorgeous area. We may have the opportunity to choose between Denver, Seattle, Phoenix, San Francisco, or LA. Ultimately, it's about the weather and recreation.
Ugh, I’d live in any of those other ones but Phoenix climate makes me shudder with claustrophobia, no escape from that heat for a good chunk of the year and no “charming” characteristics as a city. Tucson has ten times the character and is in much more beautiful setting, if you have that choice. Super hiking (example: Finger Rock Trail) just on the north side of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area