Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 07:28 AM

48 posts, read 64,346 times

Advertisements

Yeah we are struggling with the idea of Phoenix. We love the proximity to Sedona, Prescott, Payson, Flagstaff, etc, and the weather is amazing for a good chunk of the year. Even the Phoenix area is quite pretty (outside of the city itself.) But we haven't been there in the summer. We know it's brutal but the friends we have there still love it. There's just a few months where they have to adjust to the heat. But most locations have a few months where you adjust your outdoor activities due to the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2022, 10:22 AM

27 posts, read 12,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
+1

You can also get decent skiing within a 60 minute drive from downtown Seattle. You can't do that in Denver.
A-Basin and Loveland are about an hour of Denver (and Winter Park isn't that much further). I would hold those above anything around Seattle.

Old 01-20-2022, 10:56 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarsarecoolerthantattoos View Post
A-Basin and Loveland are about an hour of Denver (and Winter Park isn't that much further). I would hold those above anything around Seattle.
I think it has taken me about 2+ hours each time I've been in Denver to get to A-Basin. Weekend traffic out of Denver on I-70 in the winter is way more brutal than Seattle.

Old 01-20-2022, 03:02 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
SF is a hard sell. Dysfunctional socially, exorbitant housing costs. LA is very nice but in order to have a really good lifestyle there, you'd need to make more than you would in Seattle or especially Denver, I think.

Old 01-20-2022, 05:44 PM

27 posts, read 12,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
I think it has taken me about 2+ hours each time I've been in Denver to get to A-Basin. Weekend traffic out of Denver on I-70 in the winter is way more brutal than Seattle.
Yes, it's gotten a lot worse the last 10 years. Either go early or try to go during the week.

Old 01-20-2022, 10:41 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,955 times
Well if this is about skiing, then its Colorado. No brainer!

Old 01-21-2022, 03:56 AM

812 posts, read 831,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuncherBier View Post
Thanks all. No question it's an insanely gorgeous area. We may have the opportunity to choose between Denver, Seattle, Phoenix, San Francisco, or LA. Ultimately, it's about the weather and recreation.
LA -by elimation

Seattle = Too expensive and crowded (especially rec areas). Too much money floating around and arrogance. Very elitist vibe. Even the steel workers (usually pretty down to earth folks) there think they are better (more educated and sophisticated) than steel workers anywhere else. It's amazing.... and sad. Too heavy on "tech bro" and "finance bro"; like SF and NY had a baby.... yuck! Turning too Davo Man-ish. Interesting and very ironic - as this is the total opposite of what Seattle kind of used to be about .....and still kind of projects itself as is.

SF = see Seattle above. Yes Seattle.... you are there.... congratulations..... I guess .

Denver = Ugly, dry, brown, hot, windy, bad air quality (inversions).

Phoenix = see Denver above (and add haboobs). Uber HOT & DRY; no one is supposed to be living there.

LA = Relative to other cities mentioned: Not too hot or too cold. Not too wet or too dry. Not too expensive (can't believe I just said that). More diverse economy and people than tech heavy hitters SF and Seattle. Mountains? Beach?

Old 01-21-2022, 04:10 AM

48 posts, read 64,346 times
LA is a tough one. I'm not a Beach-bro, surfer dude and certainly not a fan of anything related to the Hollywood lifestyle. Give me the Maine or Seattle Coast any day over the crowded Southern California Beaches. But yes, the climate would be amazing and the inland mountain recreation would be great as well. I simply don't know enough about the area to know where to look. Budget is an obvious factor as well but all these cities are expensive.

The office is in Mission Viejo and I don't mind commuting up to 1.5 hours. (only a few days a week and I'm used to DC commutes.) Something like Temecula looks nice.

Old 01-21-2022, 07:26 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuncherBier View Post
LA is a tough one. I'm not a Beach-bro, surfer dude and certainly not a fan of anything related to the Hollywood lifestyle. Give me the Maine or Seattle Coast any day over the crowded Southern California Beaches. But yes, the climate would be amazing and the inland mountain recreation would be great as well. I simply don't know enough about the area to know where to look. Budget is an obvious factor as well but all these cities are expensive.

The office is in Mission Viejo and I don't mind commuting up to 1.5 hours. (only a few days a week and I'm used to DC commutes.) Something like Temecula looks nice.
SOCAL=Air pollution.

Old 01-21-2022, 11:22 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
LA -by elimation

Seattle = Too expensive and crowded (especially rec areas). Too much money floating around and arrogance. Very elitist vibe. Even the steel workers (usually pretty down to earth folks) there think they are better (more educated and sophisticated) than steel workers anywhere else. It's amazing.... and sad. Too heavy on "tech bro" and "finance bro"; like SF and NY had a baby.... yuck! Turning too Davo Man-ish. Interesting and very ironic - as this is the total opposite of what Seattle kind of used to be about .....and still kind of projects itself as is.

SF = see Seattle above. Yes Seattle.... you are there.... congratulations..... I guess .

Denver = Ugly, dry, brown, hot, windy, bad air quality (inversions).

Phoenix = see Denver above (and add haboobs). Uber HOT & DRY; no one is supposed to be living there.

LA = Relative to other cities mentioned: Not too hot or too cold. Not too wet or too dry. Not too expensive (can't believe I just said that). More diverse economy and people than tech heavy hitters SF and Seattle. Mountains? Beach?
For all this rant, Seattle is more affordable than LA. Wages in LA are absolute garbage.

Last edited by Guineas; 01-21-2022 at 11:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area