Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2008, 11:46 PM

1 posts, read 5,526 times

Advertisements

I am researching moving to the Seattle areas. I love Mercer Island on paper (great schools, unique homes, developed landscape with large yards, not a lot of chain stores, dog trails, etc) but because it is so high priced I am afraid to buy and not like it there so maybe renting would be a good option. However there does not seem to be a lot of home rentals? Is there a way to find out more?

Are there areas outside of seattle that are like Mercer Island but not as pricey? Looking mainly for: great schools, unique homes, developed landscape with large yards, not a lot of chain store.

What are some down falls of Mercer Island? Traffic? Weather? Anything bad?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 02:53 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
Mercer Island is some pretty high end real estate. Lots of condos and upscale homes, not so many rentals. All high priced.

If you like 'planned community living' you'll love Mercer Island.

Just google Mercer Island rentals, properties, homes for rent, etc.

I doubt that Mercer island allows "traffic".

Old 05-20-2008, 09:07 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,269,453 times
It's interesting to hear what some folks think about Mercer island. Most of what you hear should be taken with a grain of salt.

There are lots of regular homes in the neighborhoods that don't have waterfront or great views. They do have higher price tags than homes located far from employment centers but that is a reflection of the price most of us place on time wasted sitting in traffic. If you add up your expenses for commuting then living on the island isn't such a bad deal.

There is nothing resembling "planned community living" on Mercer Island unless you locate in a neighborhood governed by a homeowners association. My guess is that over 95% of the houses on the island are not part of a planned community. On my street if you want to paint your house the latest fad color it's your decision. If you prefer weeds in your lawn that's up to you.

There are really no other areas in Seattle like Mercer Island. It's hard to find anything in the country like Mercer Island. It's a combination of things that are attractive. The lake buffers the island from crime, commuters can easily get to jobs and entertainment in Seattle and the Eastside, the schools are good, lots of open space, it's clean and quiet.

We live on the north end and enjoy being able to walk to the business district. There are enough stores for most of your daily needs but not much more. Big time shopping is only 10 minutes away. The south end also has a commercial center so it's pretty easy to avoid traffic if that's your thing.

Craigslist is a good place to look for rentals. The grocery stores have bulletin boards that sometimes have good leads. The real estate offices also might know about homes for rent.

It's always a good idea to spend some time checking out an area before making a commitment. Visit the area parks, stores and playgrounds to see what your potential neighbors are like. If folks are rude and pushy then you'll see that and can factor that into your decision.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:46 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,862 times
Mercer Island (IMO) is mainly a lot of wealthy white people who like their isolated existence.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
Mercer Island (IMO) is mainly a lot of wealthy white people who like their isolated existence.
The island is one of the most diverse towns I have ever lived in. Our kids friends are from almost every ethnic and religious group you can name. A bi-racial family on our street had to move to AZ for their job but after five years they are looking for a way to move back. The lack of racial tension on Mercer Island is what's motivating them.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:06 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
AZDreamer is accurate, on all counts, in my 20+years of experience here.
There was a time, way in the past, when Mercer Island was populated by mostly wealthy Caucasians, but that was a long time ago. AZDreamer's description of diversity in people and prices is quite correct.

Because the schools are so good (meaning residents of Mercer Island are willing to pay property taxes to fund their schools), and the island is close to Seattle-area employment centers, and there are some forests and quiet on the island -- housing costs are higher than in some other areas. The resources already suggested should help you find a rental.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:50 PM

Most recent census ... 84.09% white, 1.14% African American, 0.16% Native American, 11.87% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 0.52% from other races, and 2.16% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.86% of the population. You can determine if this is "diverse" ...

Old 05-20-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
Most recent census ... 84.09% white, 1.14% African American, 0.16% Native American, 11.87% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 0.52% from other races, and 2.16% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.86% of the population. You can determine if this is "diverse" ...
Citing statistics in isolation usually isn't the best way to educate someone.

If racial diversity is your obsession then you would like Mercer Island, it's more diverse than it's peers nationwide and in the state.

The web site below can be used to compare Mercer Island to similar size places nationwide and to other places in Washington State.

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 06-10-2008 at 04:38 AM..

Old 05-20-2008, 01:32 PM

I was just pointing out to the person asking about MI that it's mostly wealthy white people. I believe 85% white with a median income (from your suggested web site) in the 6 figures backs up my original opinion. I'll stop at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area