Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 08:58 PM

3,693 posts, read 2,412,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
Does bad quality air mean hitters can't see as well or ball can't travel as far?.....
Beyond stupid. It was even hard on my lungs to watch.

Quote:
According to air quality and pollution rankings on IQAir.com, Seattle had one of the worst air quality index (AQI) rankings of any city in the world as of early Saturday afternoon. With an AQI above 150, Seattle's air quality is deemed to be "unhealthy." The retractable roof at T-Mobile Park is "designed to cover but not enclose the ballpark," according to MLB.com."
https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/...f-17511631.php

I should note, I'm not sure if the enclosed roof keeps all of the air out or can filter it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2022, 09:32 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
I had to go into the office and inevitably walk around outside today for a while, and my eyes are still burning. I don't see how they could play baseball in the smoke... no wonder it went 18 innings until a run was scored. Sorry for the M's, that was a bummer. My Braves got eliminated today too. Bitter disappointment after a memorable regular season.

Old 10-15-2022, 10:17 PM

609 posts, read 303,180 times
Quote:
Does bad quality air mean hitters can't see as well or ball can't travel as far? Great season anyway.
I wonder. I've been watching baseball all my life and have never seen a game where both teams struggled so much to make contact.

Old 10-16-2022, 07:42 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupp-certified View Post
I wonder. I've been watching baseball all my life and have never seen a game where both teams struggled so much to make contact.
Please stop with this air quality argument. Just an excuse. And didn’t both teams play in the same environment? Hey. I am a Mariners fan from ‘77. But the M’s were outplayed pure and simple.

Moving on we need better pitchers. Hitters are already in place.

Old 10-17-2022, 10:53 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,860,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Please stop with this air quality argument. Just an excuse. And didn’t both teams play in the same environment? Hey. I am a Mariners fan from ‘77. But the M’s were outplayed pure and simple.
Precisely the reason for supporting the argument.

Astros scored 0 runs through 17 innings, Mariners scored 0 runs through 18 innings. Made me wonder if air quality impacted hitter vision a bit, or reduced ball flight length a bit? This was an all-time playoff record for 0 runs through number of innings.

Also note that 18 pitchers were used between the two team. 17 of whom gave up 0 runs. Really surreal.

There are certain weather conditions that are proven to reduce or extend ball flight length. A few of the hits in this game seemed like they flew a shorter distance than normal...but it is just speculation on my part. Our air has been terrible this week (the first two games were in Houston and not affected).

Perhaps this was just an all-time combination performance from 17 pitchers. No other explanation.

And no-one is making any excuses. Astros clearly deserved it with the 3-0 fair victory.

Last edited by usernametaken; 10-17-2022 at 11:21 AM..

Old 10-17-2022, 11:06 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
It didn't advantage either team over the other, but I just question why they didn't postpone the game. Air quality was off the charts unhealthy.

Old 10-17-2022, 11:35 AM

609 posts, read 303,180 times
Quote:
Precisely the reason for supporting the argument.

Astros scored 0 runs through 17 innings, Mariners scored 0 runs through 18 innings. Made me wonder if air quality impacted hitter vision a bit, or reduced ball flight length a bit? This was an all-time playoff record for 0 runs through number of innings.

Also note that 18 pitchers were used between the two team. 17 of whom gave up 0 runs. Really surreal.

There are certain weather conditions that are proven to reduce or extend ball flight length. A few of the hits in this game seemed like they flew a shorter distance than normal...but it is just speculation on my part. Our air has been terrible this week (the first two games were in Houston and not affected).

Perhaps this was just an all-time combination performance from 17 pitchers. No other explanation.

And no-one is making any excuses. Astros clearly deserved it with the 3-0 fair victory.
Exactly. I'm not even a Mariners fan myself, so I'm not making excuses, just agreeing with the observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: