Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 09:19 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,172,168 times

Advertisements

It astounds and baffles me that something so simple as protecting children, many of whom aren't vaccinated, by requiring masks at an extracurricular activity would factor into someone's decision about where to live. I can think of quite a few more burdensome restrictions that people don't seem to have any problem with, because they value health and safety of the public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2022, 01:20 AM

240 posts, read 195,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereinnj View Post
I agree with many things you say. The issue is you may be a principled conservative, but the candidates to vote for are from an increasingly extremist pool--the insane election-denying, anti-science, anti-lots-of-people, misogynistic nonsense that masquerades as "conservative thought" is poisoning a good chunk of the population and makes it really difficult to have a good conservation with someone who calls themselves conservative, because at the end of the day, who do they vote for?
Interestingly, I am not a conservative and have never voted Republican.. those are just my general views. But I won't mind swinging that way if the pros outweigh the cons in the future.

Old 08-03-2022, 11:15 AM

861 posts, read 1,062,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Burlington/Mt. Vernon, Sedro-Woolley, Everett, Marysville, Snohomish, Lake Stevens, Monroe, Sultan, Duvall, Carnation, Fall City, Snoqualmie, North Bend, Black Diamond, Maple Valley, Covington, Auburn, Sumner, Puyallup/South Hill, Roy, Yelm, Bremerton, Silverdale.

There are no bastions of conservatism in Western Washington (except possibly Vancouver?) but those towns/cities are pretty mixed and very live and let live.
I find Oak Harbor to be close to 50/50, because of the military presence.

Old 09-04-2022, 10:06 AM

96 posts, read 50,700 times
If you will be working in Kirkland (Google?) you don’t want a long commute. I would recommend Woodinville. Nowhere is going to be super conservative but as someone who lives in Woodinville I always see a good mix of Democrat and Republican political signs at election time in neighbors yards. The Eastside in general was a lot more of a sleepy suburb/rural area 25+ years ago and sent Republicans to Congress. Now the Eastside sends Democrats yet there are still clearly conservative voters in the area. Woodinville is still wooded with larger lots so maybe attracts those who want more space and independence. Another sign is that the Churches around here are busy, while those in Seattle are very liberal and often shrinking and closing. So I would say, yes, with the explosion of the tech industry and people moving to the area from across the country and the world it has become more liberal, but the live-and-let-live attitude is still alive and well. I think more generally, those aged 60+ on the Eastside are more likely to be conservative, then Gen X is a mix and those 35 and under swing left. Religious people of all faiths and nationalities are more likely to be conservative and because so many couples are highly educated who move here the Seattle suburbs have something of the highest % of two parent families in the nation. The most conservative areas will be most likely more working class and rural cities.

This current article might give you more of an idea of what’s happening
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ly-divides-us/

Old 09-06-2022, 11:03 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
From that article:

The poll found that only 10% of college-educated women in Washington think of themselves as Republicans, while 55% side with Democrats — a massive 45-point gap.

That's a pretty astounding metric. As a progressive, it's a feel-good statistic for me personally. But just on its own, it's a shocking number!

Old 09-06-2022, 04:13 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
From that article:

The poll found that only 10% of college-educated women in Washington think of themselves as Republicans, while 55% side with Democrats — a massive 45-point gap.

That's a pretty astounding metric. As a progressive, it's a feel-good statistic for me personally. But just on its own, it's a shocking number!
Not sure why that's "shocking" but we'd rapidly veer into political commentary to fully vet this interesting topic. I say this as a right wing Republican male, Ivy League master's degree holder and tech executive based in Kirkland. My work has been fully remote since '17 and Lord willing will remain that way remainder of my career. If I never commute another day it'll be too soon, considering all the time wasting 1998 - mid-2017 on garbage freeways like I-405 (mostly).

I neither discuss my views with locals nor care what they choose to believe if I'm being honest. I don't even evangelize my views with the pals and seem to get by well enough doing my own thing.

No serious intention of leaving WA State either, but we'll see what the next 10-15 years brings. I've grown to appreciate this climate year round. As one of the Pale Peoples™ (fair complexion!) it agrees with me more than heat. And just as important, I have the growing suspicion a water crisis could...not saying "will"....occur in points further south next 5-15 years. Or sooner, worst case.

I think OP could consider Kirkland if fits lifestyle needs.

Old 09-07-2022, 02:03 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,095,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereinnj View Post
I agree with many things you say. The issue is you may be a principled conservative, but the candidates to vote for are from an increasingly extremist pool--the insane election-denying, anti-science, anti-lots-of-people, misogynistic nonsense that masquerades as "conservative thought" is poisoning a good chunk of the population and makes it really difficult to have a good conservation with someone who calls themselves conservative, because at the end of the day, who do they vote for?

I would argue that just maybe conservatives are doing NONE of the things you are being told they are doing. It would be better for everyone if we did more listening to people and less listening to pundits who thrive on stoking fear and division.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 09-07-2022 at 02:12 PM..

Old 09-07-2022, 02:52 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Diana, you're talking about people. The post you quoted was talking about candidates. Unfortunately for all Americans, the gap between those two groups is huge no matter what party a candidate belongs to.

Old 09-07-2022, 03:20 PM

13,070 posts, read 7,502,913 times
OP:
Initially live near to your workplace, school, or shopping/food. How near is up to you.
Then explore the area.
Your conservativitism-liberalism can only be seen thu your own eyes.
ymmv

Old 09-18-2022, 06:44 PM

35 posts, read 26,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orghiplove View Post
Where does Kirkland stand politically compared to Seattle proper?
Where Kirkland stands politically in two words is, “wealthy people.”

Take from that what you will in terms of race and/or party.

There is also a big population of retirees in retirement communities located there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area