Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2022, 09:33 AM

32,678 posts, read 48,163,278 times

Advertisements

90 degrees is well inside the temperature range that humans can live in. The weather hasn't gotten hotter, people have gotten wussier where they can't tolerate normal discomfort.

Air conditioning is a fairly recent invention and before air conditioning, for thousands of centuries, humans lived in 90 degree temperature and 100 degree temperature and 110 degree temperature and went about their business and didn't think anything of it, other than they probably liked it better than the snow and they were scurrying around trying to get enough food preserved for the winter while it was still growing and harvesting season.

The weather isn't getting hotter, people have just decided that they have less tolerance for any temperature variation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2022, 10:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,368,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
90 degrees is well inside the temperature range that humans can live in. The weather hasn't gotten hotter, people have gotten wussier where they can't tolerate normal discomfort.

Air conditioning is a fairly recent invention and before air conditioning, for thousands of centuries, humans lived in 90 degree temperature and 100 degree temperature and 110 degree temperature and went about their business and didn't think anything of it, other than they probably liked it better than the snow and they were scurrying around trying to get enough food preserved for the winter while it was still growing and harvesting season.

The weather isn't getting hotter, people have just decided that they have less tolerance for any temperature variation.
Yes, but also, people today are placing more importance on their comfort, even us. We lived in California for over 40 years, where it would be 80-105 as early as April, through October, and never had AC. Admittedly, I hated summers, there, but we managed. Here in Sammamish we now have window AC in three different rooms, and at about 76 inside we them on. It's still not worth central AC for us, though, because so many rooms are not occupied now, and the small 6,000 BTU units use very little electricity. The neighbors on both sides of us have installed central AC within the last two years, both younger families with 2 kids. The families before them bought new in the 1970s and never had it.

Old 08-03-2022, 10:42 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,918,561 times
It is a fact that PNW temperatures are rising.

It is not just that we are seeing more days reach record high temps, it's also that nighttime temperatures are rising even faster than daytime temps. What used to be uncomfortably high but tolerable heat for few hours in the afternoon/evening is becoming a long-lasting oppressive heat without significant overnight relief.

Old 08-03-2022, 11:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,368,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
It is a fact that PNW temperatures are rising.

It is not just that we are seeing more days reach record high temps, it's also that nighttime temperatures are rising even faster than daytime temps. What used to be uncomfortably high but tolerable heat for few hours in the afternoon/evening is becoming a long-lasting oppressive heat without significant overnight relief.
When I got up this morning at 4:30 it was 57 outside, and even on the 93 days it's been in the 50s-60s at night. I really don't remember it being cooler than that at night in previous summers here.

Old 08-03-2022, 11:12 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,092,268 times
That part about running through the sprinklers made me laugh Ruthie.

When we first came to America we lived in subsidized low income housing in the Bronx.
When it got really hot they would open up the fire hydrants so all of us poor little ghetto kids could play in the water.
Talk about diversity this place had it .

Old 08-03-2022, 11:17 AM

1,684 posts, read 2,715,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
When I got up this morning at 4:30 it was 57 outside, and even on the 93 days it's been in the 50s-60s at night. I really don't remember it being cooler than that at night in previous summers here.
Same here. It cools down at night and takes a long time to warm up during the day. How hot it gets indoors can depend on how many trees shade the area and microclimates matter as well. Apartment buildings with no A/C or shade trees might not cool down at night, especially on the upper floors and with western exposure.

Outdoors in the shade was very comfortable throughout this heat wave, unlike the 110+ degree scorcher of last year. Then shade didn't help much.

Old 08-03-2022, 12:10 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,918,561 times
Personal anecdotes notwithstanding...

Seattle summer nights are warming up, and yes, that's because of climate change
https://www.kuow.org/stories/seattle...-change-or-nah

Nighttime heat waves quadruple in Pacific Northwest
https://www.washington.edu/news/2013...fic-northwest/

Why Record-Breaking Overnight Temperatures Are So Concerning
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/09/u...ht-deaths.html

Nights Are Warming Faster Than Days. Here’s Why That’s Dangerous.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...dangerous.html

Old 08-11-2022, 07:01 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,964,781 times
First time in years I am tired of summer, it feels like a Texas inferno half the time.

I will spring for the AC next spring.

Old 08-12-2022, 12:30 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
First time in years I am tired of summer, it feels like a Texas inferno half the time.

I will spring for the AC next spring.
Where in WA do you live?

Old 08-12-2022, 03:05 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,092,268 times
I normally travel back and forth to the Bay Area every few months.
I find it takes a little while to acclimate to the different areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area