Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 07:54 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times

Advertisements

Hopping the ferry to Victoria is a fun time.
There is a nice museum there too.
We dig taking guests on the water taxi to fisherman’s wharf for a nice lunch.
That trip is always a crowd pleaser.

Near Port Angeles Hurricane Ridge and Madison Falls are an easy trip too and can even be done in a wheelchair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2022, 08:03 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATraveler23 View Post
does washington state have nice cliff-side beaches or do I have to travel to the Oregon coast?
Rent a cabin at LaPush. It's a tribal business. The rainforest isn't far away, either; that's interesting to see: moss hanging from the trees.

It's a long drive out there, though; combined with the ferry service to get you across Puget Sound to the Olympic Peninsula (the quintessential WA Seattle/WA experience), you should allow about 5 hrs. each way. Pro tip: if you rent a compact car, the ferry fare is half what it is for larger cars.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:39 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Traveler, Fremont is another good part of Seattle for live music, check out Nectar Lounge while you are here. https://nectarlounge.com/

Old 12-20-2022, 09:13 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Pike Place Mkt has gone downhill since Covid, IMO. Some of the interesting shops and eateries are gone, replaced with cheap Chinese trinkets and Mexican grocers, or something. The original diversity of it is gone, and the quality isn't as good.
This is flatly false. Farmers and Craftspeople must meet (52 pages of) criteria in order to sell their goods in Pike Place Market, in furtherance of the Market's mission:

The purpose of the Pike Place Market’s Daystalls are to uphold the Market’s founding tradition of “Meet the Producer” by providing both farmers and craftspeople an opportunity to sell farm- produced or handmade items directly to the consumer; to provide a wide variety of farm products and handmade arts and crafts for shoppers; and to provide direct marketing opportunities for new farmers and craftspeople to pursue their livelihoods. Both farm and craft businesses are an integral part of the Market’s overall economic and social communities.

Daystall management policies are intended to provide a framework for achieving these purposes; to foster an environment where individual farmers, artists and craftspeople can succeed economically; to provide equitable business opportunities; and to maintain a diverse mix of products offered for sale by producers.

On a whim I applied for a seasonal job in the Market this year, for a vendor that has been a Market fixture for over half a century. I'm having so much fun and am thrilled to report that Pike Place Market is as lively and crowded as it ever was, with a terrific mix of old and new. Come visit!

Old 12-20-2022, 12:02 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
This is flatly false. Farmers and Craftspeople must meet (52 pages of) criteria in order to sell their goods in Pike Place Market, in furtherance of the Market's mission:

The purpose of the Pike Place Market’s Daystalls are to uphold the Market’s founding tradition of “Meet the Producer” by providing both farmers and craftspeople an opportunity to sell farm- produced or handmade items directly to the consumer; to provide a wide variety of farm products and handmade arts and crafts for shoppers; and to provide direct marketing opportunities for new farmers and craftspeople to pursue their livelihoods. Both farm and craft businesses are an integral part of the Market’s overall economic and social communities.

Daystall management policies are intended to provide a framework for achieving these purposes; to foster an environment where individual farmers, artists and craftspeople can succeed economically; to provide equitable business opportunities; and to maintain a diverse mix of products offered for sale by producers.

On a whim I applied for a seasonal job in the Market this year, for a vendor that has been a Market fixture for over half a century. I'm having so much fun and am thrilled to report that Pike Place Market is as lively and crowded as it ever was, with a terrific mix of old and new. Come visit!
I like grabbing a coffee and walking around Pike Place in the morning, before all the tourists arrive, when it feels like a real working market. Chefs buying fresh produce, lots of interesting characters milling about.

Old 12-20-2022, 12:12 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
That place is flat out cool and so darn easy to spend money at.
I mean, I just want just about everything I see.

Once my wife and daughter spent a few hours there.
They decided to have king crab and a few other goodies for dinner.
They were too ashamed to say what that day cost them .

Old 12-20-2022, 05:56 PM

20 posts, read 11,983 times
Hey guys, Thank you again for the suggestions. The Olympic national park seems like an outdoor enthusiast playground. I really need to dig in and find what all the park has to offer. I am definitely going to carve out some days to visit this treasure!

Old 12-20-2022, 06:47 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
As for coastal Northwest, Oregon is better overall. Washington has a few scenic coastal stretches but can’t match their neighbors to the south. However if you like big wide open beaches, WA doesn’t disappoint. Plus you can drive your car on the beach in selected areas if you wish. John Wayne took advantage of this setting in the movie McQ, (1974) that has him shooting it out on the WA coast! Great time capsule of Seattle in the early 70’s.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 12-20-2022 at 07:02 PM..

Old 12-20-2022, 08:53 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post

Your post is about the stalls, not the shops. Mine was about the shops, and some of the restaurants. You're comparing apples to oranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area