Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2023, 07:58 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times

Advertisements

These are culvert replacements over small creeks to make them better for fish… So they need to be done in the summer when the creeks are at their lowest, and when the fish are not running.

They may mean slow downs, but not complete closures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2023, 12:09 PM

20 posts, read 11,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
These are culvert replacements over small creeks to make them better for fish… So they need to be done in the summer when the creeks are at their lowest, and when the fish are not running.

They may mean slow downs, but not complete closures.
hey, Diana

I want to thank you for the suggestions for skipping port Angeles all together. I would love to see hurricane ridge but its not a necessity. It would be my first time traveling out to the peninsula and I want to play it safe.

Old 06-27-2023, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATraveler23 View Post
hey, Diana

I want to thank you for the suggestions for skipping port Angeles all together. I would love to see hurricane ridge but its not a necessity. It would be my first time traveling out to the peninsula and I want to play it safe.

You're welcome! I think that's best. Hurricane Ridge is worth seeing some time! But I would wait until they can rebuild facilities there after the fire. It's a long drive up to find a restricted parking lot and tacky construction fencing around a mess, with only porta-potties available. Yuck.

We've had natural disasters take out our best tourist attractions this year: Hurricane Ridge and Mount St Helens, which I would also highly recommend, but in another year (we lost the road up there this year to a mud slide).

Old 06-28-2023, 10:46 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,705,824 times
Quote:
Thanks, mayfair for the info!

Just curious, why is DOT doing projects on the peninsula during the busiest time of the year?
It's the same way in every northern state- there are two seasons: winter and road construction. Plus, the salmon are a protected species and they need to work around salmon runs.

Most of the time they set up a detour, but with some more remote areas, there aren't any other roads to use for a detour, so they try to keep a lane open and alternate traffic.

You can still get there. It just might take a little longer. Some projects are no big deal and some can have bigger delays if they are using a pilot car etc.

Old 06-28-2023, 11:24 AM

4,600 posts, read 2,990,451 times
If you like to hike, I highly recommend trailheaddirect.com
It's a city bus that'll take you to a popular hiking area about an hour away.
So no worry about finding a parking space.
But more than that, you might get acquainted with some locals on the bus ride.
That's what I did on my visit in May. Even though I'm not a very outgoing guy,
I did strike up a conversation with a couple of other passengers.
Then I wound up hiking with one of them, and learned a lot about the area from him.

Old 06-28-2023, 10:29 PM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times
Quote:
Just curious, why is DOT doing projects on the peninsula during the busiest time of the year?
I live and work on the Olympic Peninsula, as I said in my other post to you. All of us up here have to go to work, school, doctor, grocery store, etc. etc. at all times of the year. The roads have frequent washouts and the summer is the only time that they can be fixed. There is so much more to this area than just tourism.

BTW, you are welcome for the information I shared with you about the current road conditions on Hurricane Ridge, and the rest of my post to you.

Old 06-29-2023, 06:41 AM

20 posts, read 11,955 times
Thank you all for the helpful advice, I finally got a route to the beach! Hopefully the flights going out that way wont be impacted by weather as they did for the ones on the east coast during the holiday weekend.

Old 06-29-2023, 09:05 AM

Have fun, hope for good weather and report back after your trip!

Old 06-29-2023, 12:06 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,705,824 times
Good luck and I hope you have a great visit, OP!

Old 06-29-2023, 07:12 PM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times
Quote:
Thank you all for the helpful advice, I finally got a route to the beach! Hopefully the flights going out that way wont be impacted by weather as they did for the ones on the east coast during the holiday weekend.
I'm glad you worked it out & I also hope you have a good trip. It's beautiful here, just not easily navigable. I seriously suggest that at some point you come in the fall, before Thanksgiving. You still have good weather, the ferries are cheaper & less crowded & there are a lot less people to deal with. Please do report back, most posters do not & your feedback can help a lot of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area