Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 06:36 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times

Advertisements

Houston is fairly casual, too, probably because of the heat. Here the fashion faux pas is that people who are not very fit wear very little clothing. I've actually laughed out loud (to myself, of course) at the skimpy amount of clothing on someone who doesn't appear to work out, EVER. You can sit in the parking lot of any restaurant or store and watch the parade of fashion "don'ts," outfits that are a size too small.

Isn't the socks with sandals thing because if you didn't wear socks in Seattle, your feet would get cold?

I'm happy when a city has a casual dress code. In the 1980's I stood in high heels at trade shows all day for work and I'm surprised I can still walk considering how much pain I'd be in at the end of the day. Dressing up in high heels for a special event or a date is one thing...wearing them for 9-10 hours at work is quite another...it was silly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 07:05 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcda View Post
When I was in Seattle last week I was surprised at all the people downtown wearing dreary looking clothes. Dull colors, like the weather is most of the time I suppose. Also baggy clothes, lack of fit. Some looked like they were out hiking with backpacks in the middle of the city. My sister-in-law tells me it's because they are taking ferry's and commuting on foot.
It's all about comfort here, fashion and style is not very high on most peoples list. Of course there are exceptions...

Seattle is still very much a frontier town in spirit, and I'm sure that has something to do with our lack of interest in fashion and style.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:47 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
"When I was in Seattle last week I was surprised at all the people downtown wearing dreary looking clothes. Dull colors, like the weather is most of the time I suppose."

Have you ever been to NYC? Most people are wearing dark colors: lots of blacks and greys and subdued blues. Its just a more urban look.
I prefer it to say, a bright pink tank top and white capris with flamingos on them. I sooo need to get out of the South.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:12 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
"When I was in Seattle last week I was surprised at all the people downtown wearing dreary looking clothes. Dull colors, like the weather is most of the time I suppose."

Have you ever been to NYC? Most people are wearing dark colors: lots of blacks and greys and subdued blues. Its just a more urban look.
I prefer it to say, a bright pink tank top and white capris with flamingos on them. I sooo need to get out of the South.
I don't agree

I work downtown - and I was walking to get a latte with one of my staff, and it was in the gloomy part of June. And I said - everyone was wearing so many black jackets - the when it's sunny the colors come out. She looked around - and she said she had never noticed (50 years old, lived in Seattle her whole life and lived up on Capital Hill)

She's now said she notices it all the time

I think it's the same reason sunny places (like Hawaii or Mexico or Florida) has a bunch of colorful clothes

Not because of "urban" fashion

Plus ever watch Sex & the City - that's a bunch of colorful urban clothes, no need for blacks and blues...

Old 06-30-2008, 08:20 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
The only people that actually dress like Carrie Bradshaw in NYC are tourists trying to "fit in".

Old 06-30-2008, 07:35 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,850,813 times
I worked in Manhattan, and while people did dress in darker colors, they were all dressed up. Men in suits, women in suits, etc. There was nothing better than sitting next to a well-dressed, 3 piece suited man on the PATH train. The people in Manhattan are tailored (or at least they were when I lived there).

The people in Seattle sort of blend with the homeless people (not that I'm complaining, I'm a fan of dressing down). But when you see a nicely suited man, or a woman in a pretty dress with nice heels, you really take notice in Seattle (or at least I do).

V. =)

Old 06-30-2008, 09:32 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
The people in Seattle sort of blend with the homeless people (not that I'm complaining, I'm a fan of dressing down). But when you see a nicely suited man, or a woman in a pretty dress with nice heels, you really take notice in Seattle (or at least I do).
V. =)
Never heard the way Seattlelites dress described that way, had a good laugh reading it!

Old 06-30-2008, 09:36 PM

576 posts, read 1,817,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
I don't agree

I work downtown - and I was walking to get a latte with one of my staff, and it was in the gloomy part of June. And I said - everyone was wearing so many black jackets - the when it's sunny the colors come out. She looked around - and she said she had never noticed (50 years old, lived in Seattle her whole life and lived up on Capital Hill)

She's now said she notices it all the time

I think it's the same reason sunny places (like Hawaii or Mexico or Florida) has a bunch of colorful clothes

Not because of "urban" fashion

Plus ever watch Sex & the City - that's a bunch of colorful urban clothes, no need for blacks and blues...
Once again... why dress nicely if your clothes are just going to get wet?

I never notice the colors of the clothes people are wearing. All I know is people are wearing mostly coats and long pants 9 months of the year.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:07 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
New York city people wear dark colors but people in NY are stylish in their dark colors, many in Seattle are not. I never heard of Northface until I moved to Seattle. I don't own any Northface and probably never will. I don't carry a backpack, don't wear socks with sandals, don't eat rice cakes, don't wear hiking boots, don't bang on bongo drums, don't drink coffee or eat tofu. Also why let a little rain stop you from wearing stylish clothes? I love clothes and certain labels. Just last week I picked up a nice black Hugo Boss suit which I wear to work. I also bought a pair of nice Italian slip-ons, some Rock 'n' Republic jeans, a nice sky blue polo shirt and some Ed Hardy tees. I work at a leading fashion retailer and each and everyday is interesting dealing with Seattle area customers.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:13 PM

854 posts, read 4,140,043 times
Hahah! Funny. I had a North Face fleece and shell that I got years ago for a trip to Argentina. In Dallas, I rarely wore the fleece OR the shell -- no need. Certainly nobody outside the hiking-type shops knew those brands.

Then i get here and I've brought my jacket with me on the plane,thinking it might be just what I need for the weather I'm expecting. Imagine my surprise when I get out to the grocery store for the first time and I'm dressed like so many other people for the first time in my life!

I have weak ankles and I love my hiking boots. Anything rougher than a sidewalk gets my boots, unless I'm breaking in a new pair anticipating a big trip, in which case the boots go anywhere.

I think it's hilarious that I've moved to a place where I actually fit in somewhat. What a feeling. I highly recommend it. :-D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: