Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2008, 08:57 AM

3 posts, read 14,282 times

Advertisements

I'm an 18-year-old girl who just got an apartment in the middle of Seattle (Westlake Center area). I have a job five blocks from my apartment and will be working swing shifts and graveyard shifts. I want to walk to and from my job, of course, but I'm worried that I might have problems. I've considered a bike, but my apartment is teeny tiny and there isn't any place to keep it (and management is not being helpful as to an alternative). Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 10:05 PM

161 posts, read 559,951 times
I used to live DT ( on Stewart by the Greyhound station ) in my late teens and I had never encountered a problem there or in Capital Hill.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:57 AM

18 posts, read 65,593 times
My opinion is for any woman, you should ALWAYS find someone to accompany you, especially at night. I know that might pose a problem, since it is the night shift. Maybe see if someone at your work lives close to you, and you guys can go together. I occasionally work the night shift, and I call my security guard to accompany me to my car in the early morning hours. Never go out by yourself at night, it is just a safety issue. You can be in the safest city in the world, and things can still go bad, you dont want to be by yourself when it does!
Good Luck!

Old 07-17-2008, 10:59 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeblossom View Post
I used to live DT ( on Stewart by the Greyhound station ) in my late teens and I had never encountered a problem there or in Capital Hill.
How long ago was that? I used to live on Capital Hill and someone died of a heroine overdose on our front steps right on Bellevue Ave East, between Olive and Denny Way. But that was the late 80s so things may have cleaned up a bit.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:05 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,059,550 times
We lived in Cap Hill in '99-00 and even then I don't think I would walk around by myself at night. I was 24. All city neighborhoods change just a bit when the sun goes down. You will probably be fine - but Seattle is a city, and thats the risk, and what you accept, of city life. It's smarter to avoid walking around by yourself at night, if there are other options.

I would hang your bike from the ceiling in your walkway, or lock it to your balcony (if you have one).

Old 07-17-2008, 05:58 PM

99 posts, read 368,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbpeddler View Post
I'm an 18-year-old girl who just got an apartment in the middle of Seattle (Westlake Center area). I have a job five blocks from my apartment and will be working swing shifts and graveyard shifts. I want to walk to and from my job, of course, but I'm worried that I might have problems. I've considered a bike, but my apartment is teeny tiny and there isn't any place to keep it (and management is not being helpful as to an alternative). Any advice?
these places are shady, but not necessarily dangerous...

after 9pm:
Western Ave/Blanchard
Elliott/Bell
anywhere under 99 viaduct

Old 07-17-2008, 06:14 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,664 times
As long as you are walking and not waiting around for a bus you should be fine.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:56 AM

151 posts, read 525,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbpeddler View Post
You will be absolutely safe; the many junkies that hang around the city center late at night are often slow and shuffle rather than run. Plus, if they bite you you'll have nothing to fear --- no teeth.

But what really does it for me is the eco-friendly recycling vibe in downtown. If, like me, you're plagued with piles of spare change, residents of the downtown bus shelters offer myriad redistribution options. Recycle, reduce, reuse -- and close the loop!

Old 07-25-2008, 05:47 PM

271 posts, read 1,236,403 times
If you walk, carry a personal alarm around your neck, the pull cord type.

Or pack, if you feel comfortable.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:45 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,297,654 times
a lot of bums and shady characters around here at night. some girl got raped by a homeless man not too far back in a park here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: