Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:46 AM

37 posts, read 139,945 times

Advertisements

We're considering a move from the bay area to the seattle area. We're worried that some of the things we struggle with here are just going to be the same wherever else we go in the US. They are things we most likely wouldn't get a sense of without living there but maybe some of you can help me out here:

SUV's: are these as predominant as they are in CA (and maybe the rest of the country?) We'd really like to get far away from them but maybe you can only do that in europe.

Kids: kids here are ridiculously overscheduled and we rarely ever see kids playing on the street with neighborhood friends, even in a very family oriented neighborhood. Is seattle the same or are there real family friendly neighborhoods with kids playing in the parks, streets, etc? Again, maybe Europe is the only place this happens anymore...

I'm sure I'll come up with more q's but that's it for now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 11:21 AM

223 posts, read 1,275,051 times
SUV's dominate the highways here. Probably 30% of the vehicles on the freeway during rush hour. All with one person in them.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:48 AM

307 posts, read 1,421,429 times
Anytime you live in a suburb where many people have kids there is a good chance that there will be alot of SUVs, Station wagons, and minivans. If you choose a place that has inclement weather (like rain and snow) you are more likely to encounter all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive vehicles. As far as overscheduled kids I think it probably depends on the area of WA and the subculture of the area.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:25 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times
SUVs are everywhere but especially in the suburbs - like any metro area

Do you have kids? We only have my son in ONE sport. He might get a playdate every couple of months...but does he play outside? Nope, not much. 1) it's too wet and cold here most of the year 2) as with the rest of the country our society is more aware of predetors - and so unsupervised play outside is a bit risky

Old 10-09-2007, 01:31 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,558 times
SUVs are definitely everywhere. That and big trucks.

As for kids playing in parks, we live in a neighborhood that is smattered with parks, and it makes me happy to report that there are often kids playing in them. It seems pretty safe, as the kids usually are on their own (older kids 10+). It's one of my favorite things about living across the street from a park.

V. =)

Old 10-09-2007, 02:30 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,708,340 times
I can't compare it to the bay area- but Seattle seems like any major city and its burbs as kids being in scheduled activities vs. just playing in the park.

In summer, our local parks are full of kids- not so much in winter. When the rains start, everything empties out.

SUVs are commonplace. Twenty years ago Seattle seemed more "alternative" and had less conspicuous consumerism. SUVs have replaced the Geo Metros and old cars which seemed the primary mode of transport

Old 10-10-2007, 07:36 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
The parks in the Seattle suburbs I have lived in are swampy messes from October till May - June. After that though, you will see kids at them... not so much in the streets playing though.

That's one thing I absolutely love about where we are right now... the kids run the street from afterschool till dinner time. It's still a "come in when the street lights go on" sort of town. LOVE IT.

One issue with the Seattle area is that MOST families need both parents working to afford to live there... so, kids are often in day care or after school programs until the parents get home from work... so, that's one reason you don't see kids out and about. No one is home till after 6, it's dark then, and dinner time... then time for bed. etc...

Old 10-10-2007, 08:16 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times
Jenbar is right again

My son is in after school "day camp" and we don't get im til 5-ish then we get home - make dinner - do homework and go to bed

Old 10-10-2007, 03:42 PM

37 posts, read 139,945 times
Ok, this clarifies what we were suspecting..sounds exactly like Berkeley.
Plus I hadn't factored in the effect of the rain...duh...

I'm disappointed about the SUV's, both here and there

Jenbar where are you? Sounds ideal..
and, Veronika, can I ask which neighborhood you're in?

Old 10-10-2007, 03:46 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
A suburb a few minutes outside of Austin - but it's SUV land here too. 'cept they want to call them "Trucks". Lot's of people moving to Austin from California... It can be hot, but it's pretty much ideal in my opinion. Great place to raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area