Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 05:25 PM

522 posts, read 2,627,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
You stated that rain gear is somehow grungy or sloppy looking...I am trying to figure out that head scratcher. Is cold weather gear also grungy?
When I lived in Pittsburgh it snowed about 3-4 times a winter, I never owned winter outdoor boots, I wore fashion boots. I never wore a winter ski type jacket, I wore a nice winter coat. Not sure how that is a head scratcher. So what if I think the rain gears loooks grungy...why do you care? The OP asked a question, I gave my opinion..thats what message boards are for. I don't agree with most of what you post and don't question you, I do and wear what works for me...just as you wear and do what works for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 11:04 PM

573 posts, read 1,452,168 times
Their are all sorts of water proff/wind proff jackets and coats. My favorite are light weight ones with hoods. That is all I do and some ski jackets. Their are tons to choose from and I have never found the need for boots. It is easy up here and lots to choose from. Some use umbrellas and some not. Personally, for me, it is just one more thing to carry. Every one does their own thing. I am a hoody person

Last edited by vnodak; 10-17-2008 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: spellling

Old 10-19-2008, 12:53 AM

10 posts, read 47,169 times
Quote:
You stated that rain gear is somehow grungy or sloppy looking...I am trying to figure out that head scratcher. Is cold weather gear also grungy?
i just moved to seattle from kansas city and the cold weather gear is much cuter than wet weather gear. i own tons of cute wool coats and chic boots and hats/gloves/scarves. rain slickers and rain galoshes just aren't very cute.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:28 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,776,410 times
Helly Hansen Voss Jacket - Women's at REI.com

Only $40. I tried the light blue one on a few weeks ago and its was pretty cute. It'd make a great everyday coat.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:10 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwebgirl View Post
i just moved to seattle from kansas city and the cold weather gear is much cuter than wet weather gear. i own tons of cute wool coats and chic boots and hats/gloves/scarves. rain slickers and rain galoshes just aren't very cute.
Good, because I don't know anyone that owns a slicker and/or a galosh. Seriously, you don't need that crap when you have to stand out in the rain for 20 minutes before you even get wet. Galoshes are what people in the south wear during monsoon season. If you see someone looking like they are about to embark on an alaskan fishing expedition, they probably moved here from Missouri.

Last edited by toughguy; 10-20-2008 at 12:25 AM..

Old 10-20-2008, 07:24 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times
I lived in Tacoma for ten years, Tacoma gets about twice as much rain as Seattle and I never had anything but an unlined denim jacket. The rain in Seattle isn't nearly as "wetting" as the rain gets down south or along the eastern portion of the country.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:20 AM

339 posts, read 707,538 times
Yes...some folks have changed my mind from my previous post. It was such a simple view of "buy an umbrella and don't worry about it". I didn't figure in the wetness of our water compared to the wetness of the water of the rest of the Earth. I no longer believe that the OP needs an umbrella, because it has been brought to my attention that our water is different. I had forgotten this, and the more thought out views on the matter were extremely compelling. I have officially been swayed on my view of "buy an umbrella and don't worry about it if you are concerned about the weather". What I failed to factor in was, once again, the chemical makeup of our H20 compared to others. As a matter of fact...sometimes...the longer you spend outside in the "rain" here, you actually become dry. So...Don't buy an umbrella or rain gear OP (or at least really think about the variables to include the style, wetness of our water here, whether you will be seen as an outsider, etc.). How wrong could some people be with such a simple answer to such a simple question. We have a little saying here..."but it's a dry-wet." I forgot this.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:06 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
Your snark notwithstanding, there IS a difference in the way the rain falls in the pacific northwest compared to other areas of the country. It's not a constant downpour, in fact downpours are rare. It's almost always a very light rain, often no more than a mist. So yes, you don't need to dress like a 3 year old getting ready to splash around in a mud puddle to stay relatively dry around here.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:26 PM

339 posts, read 707,538 times
Quote:
Your snark notwithstanding, there IS a difference in the way the rain falls in the pacific northwest compared to other areas of the country. It's not a constant downpour, in fact downpours are rare. It's almost always a very light rain, often no more than a mist. So yes, you don't need to dress like a 3 year old getting ready to splash around in a mud puddle to stay relatively dry around here.
Does this mean that you're not going to nominate me for king of the winter carnival?

Old 10-20-2008, 10:25 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,536,266 times
Having moved here 15 months ago and crying in the rain the first day I lived here (55 degrees and raining July 21, 2007) my husband hightailed me over to REI and bought me a cute Marmot Precip jacket in lime green. Works if it's in the 50's and raining. It has a hood and I rarely carry an umbrella unless it's really coming down and I have to pick up my kids. For mid to late fall and most of winter, I wear a soft shell jacket for warmth and being rainproof. Only it doesn't have a hood! Drat. So I will head back to REI this year except this time I will spring for Goretex which I have discovered is the one thing you really need if you live in Seattle and you don't want to the weather to stop you. We hike rain or shine so that will make me even more comfy this year. One thing I love about Seattle is that the women always seem to have really cute hats on to keep the rain off their head. I would also recommend a really good pair of Keens for walking. I love the Keen Salem boot sold at REI. I waterproofed mine. Put 'em on with a lightweight wool sock and away I go. The rain isn't the problem for me, it's the chill that goes with it and you will soon find, you have to get the right gear or you will be miserable here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area