Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 11:37 AM
esc esc started this thread

13 posts, read 54,134 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to the Seattle area ASAP. I'm currently researching neighborhoods. Right now, my most promising job prospect is at the Snohomish airport near Everett. From what I've been reading, the Everett area is not what I want...

A little about me and what I'm looking for: I'm single, 29 yrs. I enjoy being very active: outdoor activities, social stuff, etc. I don't want to live in a family area, I'd like to live in an area of laid-back people that still has plenty of things to do, such as a laid-back pub/bar rather than a wild club type place. I'd like to escape the endless suburban sprawl that I've been stuck with in DFW. Basically, I want to live somewhere as opposite as possible to Dallas (geographically, culturally, city layout, etc). I'd like to be able to get from my home to "stuff" easily. (Walk, bus, short drive, easy parking...) I'd like to live and work in the same area, but I'd be willing give that idea up and commute maybe ~30mins. (More if something is really worth it, less if not...) Budget is probably ~$1500. Not too picky on house/condo/apt.

I visited the area about a month ago and enjoyed it. I liked Ballard, Freemont, Alki/West Seattle (obviously too far from Everett), Queen Anne, downtown. Would Ballard/Freemont or nearby work for me, or is it too far from Everett? Are there other places that I haven't mentioned? What about Greenlake?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 05:14 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,378 times
A reverse commute to Everett from somewhere in North Seattle will take you about 30 minutes once you get on I-5 (my husband makes the commute every morning). The problem with Ballard is that it is drive in heavy traffic to 1-5 so that will tack on at least another 10 minutes, maybe more.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:05 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
But Wallingford and Greenlake would be closer to I-5...

Old 10-17-2008, 08:36 PM

35 posts, read 196,832 times
Mill Creek is nice-
My wife and I are currently renting here. Silver Lake seems like a nice area too.

Pete

Old 10-20-2008, 01:47 PM

336 posts, read 864,193 times
We just got a place to rent in Silver Firs. We have a Everett address, but not technically in Everett we are basically in Mill Creek. Very nice area and I truly feel like I will be happy there. We drove through Everett and Mukilteo and Lake Steven's and narrowed it down to the mill creek silver firs area.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:36 PM

Hey Sykesfamily-or should I say "Hey neighbor"?
My wife and I moved to Silver Firs 2 months ago and we love it so far. Downtown Mill Creek is great and the area is just so lovely. Have you tried the new Italian place in the Premenade? Calabria- We ate there last weekend and it was pretty good. How about that French bakery over by Silver lake-Le Artisan...Oh man! The peach crescent there is delicious!

See ya round

Pete

Old 10-22-2008, 09:20 AM

336 posts, read 864,193 times
Hey Pete

We haven't officially moved yet we will be there on the 31st. My husband has been living with friends in the area and that why we decided to rent there for a bit a buy. It is a nice peaceful area close to everything and I think we may end up buy in the area in a year. My husband has tried both of those places and told me that we will have to go when we officially get moved in. Now its time for me to figure out which school my 11 yro will be attending I am so on the late show for all of this.

Thanks for the message new neighbor!!

Old 11-23-2008, 12:54 PM

Hey Sykes Family-

Have you moved in yet? How are you finding the area?

Pete

Old 11-23-2008, 09:03 PM

100 posts, read 306,546 times
Seattle is pretty much a laid back atmosthere compared to the Dallas area.You can walk down any street and there are restranuts and parks, pubs and more pubs and familys walking their dogs. I lived in Houston area and now live in the seattle area. I would not live in everett. My daughter 21 lives in everett and does not like it. Nothing to do. Good Luck.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:03 AM

439 posts, read 1,241,950 times
When I lived in Seattle, I worked in Everett (Boeing site) and lived in Greenlake/Northgate area. I think Greenlake is your best bet if you want to keep a short commute. In the mornings I could get to work in under 25 minutes. In the afternoon it took about 30 to 35 minutes to get home. I lived in Everett as well and it sucked. Living in the city is worth the commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area