Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 12:37 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,852,114 times

Advertisements

I've been sort of enchanted by Covington since 4th of July, when we saw that the people there really get into the holiday. Plus it has this sort of almost skanky, but almost nice, 80s community vibe that I dig.

So, I'm wondering, what's crime like? Is it considered a good or bad area? What are the schools like? How's the commute from there to downtown?

Thanks!

V. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 09:04 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,335,740 times
Covington? It's not bad, but...a place to be enchanted by? I loved that description " almost skanky, almost nice"...
Anyway, commute can be brutal and traffic can be awful. Schools are part of the Kent School District, nothing to write home about.
Crime? I just did a little research, and the results are interesting. They break it down into personal crime and property crime, and how many incidents of each per thousand of population.
Seattle has 7 in personal and 76 in property, Mercer Island has 0 personal and 21 property, Bellevue has 2 personal and 41 property, Issaquah has 1 personal and 86 property, Maple Valley has 1 personal and 24 property, Kent has 6 personal and 73 property, and Covington has 3 personal and 43 property.

My immediate thinking is: if I wanted to live in that area I'd strongly lean toward Maple Valley, or at least in the Tahoma ( Maple Valley) school district. It's a much better school district than Kent's, and the crime rate is less.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:58 PM

Thanks, Ira. I wish I could rep you more. You always have the best answers. It does seem a bit skanky in Covington. Sort of like parts of Huntington Beach (well, most of inland Huntington Beach) back home. I don't think I'd ever sell my husband on a commute from anywhere near there, but it's interesting to find out about places.

Thanks for the school district info, that's a major concern.

V. =)

Old 10-30-2008, 01:22 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,335,740 times
Not that there's anything wrong with skanky...
About schools, one tool is the WA Report card:
Washington State Report Card

I know that test scores aren't everything, and not everything can be gathered from numbers, but looking at the numbers you could see why a parent would prefer to send their kid to a Mercer Island school instead of a Tukwila school. ...
And it does tend to be the better the school district the more expensive the houses, but not always.
Some parts of Seattle have bad schools and high home prices, and some parts of the Maple valley area have great schools and lower home prices.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:57 PM

Thanks, Ira. After our visit home last week, staying in WA looks a bit better (lots of family drama back in the OC).

V. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area