Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 07:56 AM

21 posts, read 54,580 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I'm planning to attend University of Washington in two years . . . What sections of Seattle should I be scouting out for apartments when it's time to move? I'd like something with public transportation to the school, as I may be selling off my car when I move, and cheap housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 09:13 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,063,427 times
What do you consider cheap? I don't really think there are cheap apartments anywhere in Seattle (at least in terms of how I define cheap) So give us a number and you will get better advice than just me kvetching about cost of living here.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:42 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,057,694 times
If I were in the same situation, I would be looking into some sort of shared housing arrangement.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:03 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,600,241 times
The obvious answer would be to live in the University District. There are many apartment buildings that cater to students, and you will be surrounded by other people your age. You can walk to class, and you have tons of restaurants, shopping and entertainment in a dense vibrant area. Not many cities have a U-district like Seattle.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:20 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,353,923 times
Very close to the U District, but a little quieter would include Ravenna and Montlake.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:49 AM

479 posts, read 2,224,874 times
I would look into living on campus in UW apartments.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:06 PM

269 posts, read 1,244,217 times
If you want to commute by public transportation (reasonable, since parking is a flaming PITA in the U District, and you can get a subsidized bus pass as a student), you can go to the Metro Transit page (http://transit.metrokc.gov/ - broken link) and check out bus lines. The handiest starting point may be the regional map (http://transit.metrokc.gov/tops/bus/area_maps/regional.html - broken link). Look at lines that run through the U District ... 43, 44, 46, 48, 67, 71, 72, 73, others that I've no doubt forgotten, especially things that run southward. Make sure to check the timetables (some of the lines on the map will be rush hour only routes). Neighborhoods along those lines I mentioned ... Wallingford, Ballard, Fremont are west of the District; Roosevelt, Maple Leaf, Green Lake, Greenwood, Loyal Heights are out toward the north and northwest; Ravenna and Wedgwood are near-north and northeast.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:53 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,757,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1313 View Post
Hi guys, I'm planning to attend University of Washington in two years . . . What sections of Seattle should I be scouting out for apartments when it's time to move? I'd like something with public transportation to the school, as I may be selling off my car when I move, and cheap housing.
Most convenient place to live that is close to the UW is the UW itself!

Old 11-23-2008, 02:59 AM

27 posts, read 111,009 times
The Malloy apartment building is right in the middle of the UW, and has awesome reviews on apartment ratings.com. Studios cost about 750 now.. 1 bedrooms I think.. 900? I wanted to live there, til i drove over and saw all the tiny college kids, who looked like they were 12!

Old 11-25-2008, 07:48 AM

21 posts, read 54,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prple View Post
I would look into living on campus in UW apartments.
Do the campus apartments allow pets? I have two cats. Also, I'm a non-traditional student and I don't want to end up in a dorm. I've lived on my own too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc
What do you consider cheap? I don't really think there are cheap apartments anywhere in Seattle (at least in terms of how I define cheap) So give us a number and you will get better advice than just me kvetching about cost of living here.
Well, right now I'm in a one-bedroom for $385, but I realize there's no chance of finding anything that cheap in Seattle. (Heck, even for Spokane this one is cheap.) It's hard to say what price range would be best without knowing what job I can pick up over there and how much financial aid I can swing. Looking at Craigslist, I guess $900 is pretty standard for a one-bedroom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area