Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2009, 07:21 AM

15 posts, read 40,091 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

I've been reading message boards every day for the past few weeks trying to make a huge decision. We are currently have the option to relocate to Denver, Seattle, and Miami. Yes, I know they are all extremely different. I am just curious which one will fit our lifestlye the best and I know that visiting a city and actually living there are not the same experiences. We are a mid twenties/early thirties couple with no kids currently living in Atlanta. We enjoy the outdoors, but also dining out, nightlife, concerts, etc. What makes Seattle the best choice out of these three? Is there anything that you wish you had known about the city before you moved? Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 09:56 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Seattle has all of the things you are looking for - outdoor activities, nightlife, and natural beauty to boot! However, it is a very expensive city and those of us that are raging extroverts sometimes get frustrated with the predominantly introverted culture here. (I think loud people are fun and loud seems to be frowned upon here - I miss the energy!) The relentless gray in the wintertime can be rough too.

If at all possible, take a trip up here and meet with a realtor that can take you for a look around so you can see what you can afford. Go to the grocery stores to get a sense of the cost of groceries. Eat out, go to a couple of shows and get a sense of entertainment costs.

I've never lived in either of the other cities so I cannot tell you how Seattle compares. However, there are lots of great things about Seattle and you may love it, but there are enough detractors that we are finally throwing in the towel and heading south ourselves. But we are in our forties and looking for a lower cost of living so that we can save more for retirement and ensure our son can afford a higher education. Each person has different needs and expectations so while one may tire of living here (like us!) others are ready and willing to take our place.

Best of luck on your decision!

Old 01-08-2009, 10:25 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,150,243 times
I would move to Seattle just because of its close proximity to Vancouver, British Columbia and Canada. BC is gorgeous! Other than that, Seattle is a nice place to live on its own right. First, the best outdoors in US so close to the city. You have everything at your doorstep: Ocean, mountains, forests... you name it. Secondly, in spite of everything people say about Seattle's weather, it still has one of the best climates in US, in my opinion. Weatherwise, for example, I would be year through in Seattle rather than in Miami. Thirdly, the crime rate is lower than in the most of US. I am not talking petty and property crime here. I am talking real crime, if you know what I mean. There are no real ghettos in Seattle. Last but not least, Seattle is a lifestyle city. That means that it's an expensive city. However, in my opinion, Seattle's economy is strong enough to support the lifestyle Seattle offers. Once again, everything is relative. I'm just comparing Seattle to other lifestyle cities, like San Diego, San Franciso, or Vancouver, BC. Of those 4, I think, Seattle is the most affordable. I personally, however, would not choose a place to live just because it is the most affordable place to live. I would move to a place I love in spite of what other people say. Anyway, I could go forever. The bottom line is I would definitely choose Seattle before both Denver and Miami. Now, let's see what other people say, he-he.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:47 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Seattle has a lot of mid twenties-early thirties folks...It has a lot of "culture", it is considered a very literate and educated city, and has a lot going on as far as music, plays, etc.
But jennibc is right...Seattle is not a city full of brash, loud people.
I don't know Denver at all, but Seattle feels safer than Miami, and has a lot more forested areas, and much nicer summers....
But, the non summer weather can get really old. Not so much in number of inches of rain, but this cold raw, dark feeling, where you won't see the sun for weeks, and what sun there is goes down earlier in the winter than many other places in the US due to how far north it is....
For some, it can feel grim and depressing in Seattle in the winter. Others dress for it and go out of their homes in any weather..

Old 01-09-2009, 09:26 AM

64 posts, read 249,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw1045 View Post
We are currently have the option to relocate to Denver, Seattle, and Miami. Yes, I know they are all extremely different. I am just curious which one will fit our lifestlye the best and I know that visiting a city and actually living there are not the same experiences. We are a mid twenties/early thirties couple with no kids currently living in Atlanta. We enjoy the outdoors, but also dining out, nightlife, concerts, etc. What makes Seattle the best choice out of these three? Is there anything that you wish you had known about the city before you moved? Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I'm originally from the D.C. area, but my wife and I lived in Miami for a year. We weren't in the City of Miami. We were in Doral, just west of the airport. We, well mostly I, really loved the weather. I was used to humidity and steady warmth and sunshine were great. Living in Atlanta, I suspect you know all about heat and humidity.

We had no kids at the time, and spent a bit of time doing nightlife, concerts, dining out, et al. Miami is great for that, and you can do it in shorts and sandals year round.

Not all areas of Miami are the same, but crime is overall very high. But I guess growing up in and around D.C., I just got used to living on the edge. Also, Atlanta has higher crime than Miami in every category except arson. However, I suspect as you know there are good neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods in every city.
Table 8 - Crime in the United States 2007 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2007/data/table_08.html - broken link)

Traffic in Miami is a nightmare. I tell people that driving in Miami is a contact sport. Only in jest I say, a willingness to ram another vehicle is a sign of strength. No exaggeration, I lived 2 miles from work and most days my commute was an hour. The interchanges between highways are the choke points.

Real estate is going to be a lot cheaper in Miami than Seattle, but I also found that salaries aren't as high.

There is a lot of cultural diversity in Miami. True, it's mostly South and Central American diversity. Lots of great ethnic restaurants and superb seafood.

Contrary to mythology, you don't need to know Spanish to live in Miami. I had hoped to improve on my very limited high school Spanish, but I almost never got the chance. Everywhere I went, people who had any contact with the public spoke English. Yeah, accented sometimes, but still clear English. I guess all it did was give me a better ability understand English spoken with an accent.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from Seattle. I really like it out here and have no plans to go elsewhere. I'll let others pitch Seattle. Just wanted to point out many positives of Miami.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:34 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,776,410 times
Yeah, that Bethesda area sure is edgy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area