Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 12:22 PM

297 posts, read 1,035,193 times

Advertisements

I've been living in the South End down by the airport for a few months now. I wanted to buy a condo in Seattle Proper but I couldn't afford it, so I bought one in the South End. I think it was a really good decision because the whole area is rapidly improving, and when the light rail starts running I think it will get even better! There is new development all over, from Renton to Tukwila and even Burien. I took some pictures with my digital camera. Seattle and Bellevue are spreading south. Is there anyone who feels the same way I do?

Downtown Burien

Tukwila Light Rail Station

Renton Landing

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/8832/landing1qf0.jpg (broken link)

Westfield Southcenter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 02:13 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Is there anyone who feels the same way I do?

I do. It's especially true in Renton and in Burien, where the types of businesses have been transformed. Both of those cities now have wine bars and nice restaurants.
Yes, there are parts of the South end where crime still exists and where most people wouldn't feel comfortable hanging out. But there are other parts that have a lot going for them in a good way.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:12 AM

271 posts, read 1,236,819 times
When you posted "south", I looked, but I consider most of these place in mid or north King county. I don't go north of Kent.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:35 AM

297 posts, read 1,035,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post
When you posted "south", I looked, but I consider most of these place in mid or north King county. I don't go north of Kent.
I'm sorry you limit yourself like that because you are missing out on alot of great areas. As far as where these cities are located, to many of us who come from Seattle proper, cities like Burien, Tukwila and Renton are considered south. The realtors websites even list them as South King County. And people who are relocating to Seattle or Bellevue would definitely consider these areas south.

My point is that this whole 405-518 corridor is booming as some of the affluence spreads south from Seattle and Bellevue. I was shopping at the Trader Joes in Burien and there were hippie types with dreadlocks like you would find in Seattle. There is a more educated, worldly demographic coming this way and I think it will have a great impact on what these areas turn into.

As far as down way south, I think that area is improving too. I'm especially impressed by the Lakeland Hills development in Auburn. That area has great potential. They just need to widen the roads that go from the development to the freeway.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:53 AM

493 posts, read 665,401 times
Renton has always given me the heebie geebies for some reason. Then you north into the Rainier valley and it gets even uglier.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:56 AM

493 posts, read 665,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post
The Kent valley has pretty much always seemed like a toilet to me too.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:24 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,987 times
Are those buildings in Renton the ones over by Fry's and Boeing? Wonder where people who are going boating on Lake Washington are parking now?

Oh, and on a side note...

YouTube - Cops in Kent Almost Live

Old 02-15-2009, 02:38 PM

99 posts, read 612,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Are those buildings in Renton the ones over by Fry's and Boeing? Wonder where people who are going boating on Lake Washington are parking now?
Correct, the Landing was built on old parking lots and surplus Boeing land. There is quite a bit of trailer parking at Coulon Beach, but maybe not enough.

Speaking of the Landing, it looks nice, but the lease rate still seems very low. I think that all of the big box stores (Target, Joe's, PetSmart (or is it Petco?)) are in place, but very few of the smaller shops have anything in them. The apartments are taking a long time to build as well. The economic slowdown definitely appears to be having an impact.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:20 PM

38 posts, read 168,434 times
la_fuerza: Thanks for posting this! I feel the same way. We kind of ended up here b/c it was the best we could do when we bought in 2004 (hubby works in Issaquah so we wanted to be reasonably close to there but couldn't afford Bellevue or even Issaquah). But now I'm feeling like I really "picked a good one" as Renton is getting pretty nice. The Landing does have a lot of big box stores but honestly, I was very happy to see that b/c it was annoying to go to Tukwila or Factoria for them. I do like that they are trying to sprinkle in smaller outfits there, too, though... a wine place, a frozen yogurt place, and I think a sushi place even. Rumors of a Trader Joes, too, but I don't know about that one. (If you want to see them put one in here though, please contact them via their website and tell them to think about it!)

Old 03-07-2009, 09:07 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,843,896 times
There is no doubt that the bad economy has slowed openings at the Landing, but I love having the big boxes nearby, and also the nice new movie theater.

I'm pretty excited about the news reports (Seattle PI) that Uwajimaya is looking at opening up a new store at the old Renton Thriftway site on Grady Way.

I heard a rumor at work - and that may be all it is - that Trader Joe's is eyeing the recently closed QFC location in Fairwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area