Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 06:09 PM

8 posts, read 224,410 times

Advertisements

Hi, my name is Kellie, and my husband just got a teaching job at University of Washington, and he will be starting Sept 1st. I am a stay at home mother with 3 little ones, all under 5. We will be putting them in the public school system. We will be making a trip out to Seattle next month hoping to find a rental place (hoping for at least a 3 bedroom house or townhouse or we will even consider a condo but a house would be best). Based on what I have read on this forum, I gather that Bellevue, Issaquah, Redmond and Kirkland are where we should be looking. Are there any place closer to U of W with good public school and family oriented communities? How about in Seattle itself? We are coming from Birmingham, Alabama where cost of living is much lower and real estate is much lower than Seattle so we are quite concern about the cost of living in seattle, particularly the possibility of owning a home there. We are a one income family and hope to keep it that way. Will we make it on about $110k a year for a family of 5? That's what my husband will be making annually. Will we be able to own a home sometime in the future? We are looking forward to moving to a new city but nervous and at the same time. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Kellie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 06:25 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
My father's family is from Alabama! Welcom!

I live in Seattle with my husband and our 5 year old, you are right in your assumption of the better school systems are over on the east side (Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland etc)

Most people in Seattle will put their children into private schools because the Seattle School system is crap. The schools hardly compare to the schools on the eastside.

The East side is much more family oriented then on the Seattle side. All the bigger communities with year round family coordination are on the East side

It gets a little boring over here on the Seattle side once you have kids.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:31 PM

223 posts, read 1,274,592 times
A family of 5 living on $110k on the Eastside? Tough, very tough. You can do it, but there won't be much left for extras. You're probably looking at at least $1500 a month to rent an apartment, let alone a house. Owning a home? Houses on the Eastside start around a half-million and go up from there.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wythors View Post
A family of 5 living on $110k on the Eastside? Tough, very tough. You can do it, but there won't be much left for extras. You're probably looking at at least $1500 a month to rent an apartment, let alone a house. Owning a home? Houses on the Eastside start around a half-million and go up from there.
Ok, that's not very encouraging to hear. What are some of the other areas that we can consider with good public schools and family oriented communities that aren't so expensive? Does such areas exist? After my husband probationary period of 6 months, he will get a salary increase of $10,000 so after the first 6 months, he will make $120,000 but I am assuming that it will still very very tough to live off that for a family of 5 on the eastside? Maybe we have to consider somewhere other than the eastside. There gotta be other areas with decent school district and family oriented communities?

Kellie

Old 04-02-2007, 08:51 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,896 times
Not really.

Seattle would be more expensive, and while there are areas of Seattle that are good for families, the schools are very bad. You would have to consider private school.

We just moved away from the Seattle area because we were tired of living paycheck to paycheck. We were making around $120k+ and we are a family of five. Specific to us though, we had very high medical expenses & insurance costs...

It's tough to have a decent quality of life in Seattle - because of costs, weather and traffic. If you live any further out than the eastside, you are looking at adding a lot of time to a commute. Even on the eastside, some days the commute can be an hour, or more.

We just sold our house 30 miles north of Seattle, 4 bedroom 1600 sqft, 23 yrs old, spotty neighborhood of older homes - some kept up, some not... most in need of cosmetic repair, for $370k. I just checked Zillow.com and it's up to $400k now. I wouldn't recommend that area anyway though - based on school district alone.

For a good school district & quality community, you want to stay in the Lake Washington, North Shore, or Issaquah districts.

Last edited by jwb123; 04-02-2007 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 04-02-2007, 09:50 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Well, here's my take, Kellie. I'd rent for awhile. You can get a decent house in a relatively nice area on the eastside for around $2,000.

You can then see if that's the school district you want to be in (again, L'dub #414 is very good!). You can judge how your finances are going as you rent to see what kind of mortgage payment you can afford with the costs you are incurring consuming stuff along the way.

As I've said in previous threads, there's good bus service into the "U" from the eastside. Let me know if you want me to reiterate on that.

--'rocco

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-22-2007 at 04:39 PM..

Old 04-02-2007, 11:03 AM

Thank you so much scirocco22! That makes me feel much better. My husband is very excited about the job and he's trying to stay positive about the move and said that we can make it work and I would hate to be the one trying to put a negative spin on everything.

By the way, what's L'dub #414 - is that a school district? Sorry for my ignorance.

We will be visiting next month, and will also hook up with a realtor so they can show us what is available.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Kellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Well, here's my take, Kellie. I'd rent for awhile. You can get a decent house in a relatively nice area on the eastside for around $2,000.

My former house in Redmond is renting for about $2,100 and it's a 4 bedroom, 3 bath split-level in a nice middle-class neighborhood close to Microsoft.

You can then see if that's the school district you want to be in (again, L'dub #414 is very good!). You can judge how your finances are going as you rent to see what kind of mortgage payment you can afford with the costs you are incurring consuming stuff along the way.

As I've said in previous threads, there's good bus service into the "U" from the eastside. Let me know if you want me to reiterate on that.

--'rocco

Old 04-02-2007, 11:12 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,896 times
L 'dub is Lake Washington School District...

University of WA is known as Udub.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:15 AM

223 posts, read 1,274,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klm40691 View Post
By the way, what's L'dub #414 - is that a school district? Sorry for my ignorance.
"Lake Washington School District 414"

Old 04-02-2007, 01:16 PM

Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area