Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 04:33 PM

182 posts, read 448,780 times

Advertisements

I appreciate all the local advise. The Ducks seems to be a popular thing I see mentioned a lot. We definitely want to do all the scenic drives. We are big day trippers in the car and just take our time and stop anywhere along the way we want to check out things.

Seattlenextyear mentioned the chocolate factory tour that sounds fun with the free samples. Those type tours kind of break up the routine and sightseeing I think.

I really appreciate the restaurant suggestions. The typical tourist places don't give you the local flavor like we like plus many thrive knowing your a one time visitor.

The Alaska thing sounds to long and expensive unfortunately butit sounds like there are some other islands around you can ferry to for day trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 11:46 PM

300 posts, read 1,210,887 times
You're going to Seattle for a family vacation. There's really only one thing you have to do:

Ride the S.L.U.T. : The South Lake Union Trolley.

Yes, the locals really call it that, and yes you can even get a t-shirt for your troubles.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,363 times
The Arlington Air Show is running July 8th thru 12th with vintage military air craft, ultra lights, over 100 vintage military vehicles and equipment displays. Friday or Sat are the best. I-5 north to Smokey Point exit, just follow the signs and watch for airplanes.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:44 PM

182 posts, read 448,780 times
Default Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtman42gpw View Post
The Arlington Air Show is running July 8th thru 12th with vintage military air craft, ultra lights, over 100 vintage military vehicles and equipment displays. Friday or Sat are the best. I-5 north to Smokey Point exit, just follow the signs and watch for airplanes.

Airshows are great I think that would be a great way to spend one day, especially the day or evening they do the "glow" I read about. I have never seen one but imagine it is pretty impressive and some great pics.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:00 AM

805 posts, read 2,114,414 times
I just got back from Seattle and had a great time. The weather was perfect the whole time. The city was nice just to walk around and enjoy the surroundings.

A few things I did:
Ride the Ducks
Space Needle
Underground Tour
Pikes Market Place
Arboretum
Chinatown
Shopping District

Old 06-01-2009, 03:46 PM

187 posts, read 576,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62mike View Post
My family and I are visiting Seattle for the first time July 4th-13th. Typically we like to stay somewhere a night or two move on see something else and come full circle. I get the impression we may be able to operate out of one hotel during our stay maybe two.

I would like recommendations. We are Holiday Inn, Ramada, Clarion Inn type folks price wise. Appleby's, T.G.I.F., Logan's (all Tennessee chains) mid priced family restaurants with kids menus.

1. Where about would you recommend staying that was family safe, several reasonable restaurants, and maybe a nice mall for the teen?

2. What activities would you recommend? I know you can spend yourself silly on tickets for museums, Space needle, cruises. What is a must do in your opinion maybe top 5? Even things like the "walking coffee tour" sounds cool.

3. I would love to take one of the ferries to Victoria or more so Alaska but they all seem pretty pricey. Is there any ferry ride that you might go out for the day on to an island and return just for the ride and day trip? Or even spend the night and ferry back the next day?

4. Whales. I see they may be around during our time frame. Is going on a boat trip essential or can you drive anywhere along the coast and get good views if you are patient?

5. Finally, tours. Other than the Boeing are there any fun factors or naval bases? We were in CA. a couple of years ago and stopped at the Jelly Belly factory tour and it was a lot of fun.

Sorry for so many questions but our yearly vacation is a big event and I like to do as much as possible to make a good experience for the kids. Especially in this economy we need to make our vacation dollar go as far as possible.

Thank you for any suggestions and help. Also, if there are any things I could request ahead (coupons, tickets, entertainment books, etc.) that would help I would do that too.
Seattle's not really keen on chain restaurants, as there are so many far better and far fresher locally owned alternatives. Some are absolutely affordable for a family. However, here are some of the more less-expensive chains I know of that are in the downtown'ish area:

- Cheesecake factory
- Old Spaghetti factory
- Red Robin's
- The Crab Pot
- Any of the restaurants in the Pacific Place Mall
- Outback Steakhouse
- Bucca di Beppo
- P.F. Chang's
- Benni Hanna's

Hope this helps!

Old 06-01-2009, 04:06 PM

265 posts, read 1,073,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motor80 View Post
Seattle's not really keen on chain restaurants, as there are so many far better and far fresher locally owned alternatives.
LIKE?? I came here from the East Coast full of chain restaurants over a year ago, and I'm still eating at chain restaurants for the most part. I don't know where to find these "better and fresher locally owned alternatives" that don't cost far more than the chains.

Do I just randomly try things from Zagat? I have had good experiences with the local places I have tried... so I'd like more options.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:24 PM

187 posts, read 576,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
LIKE?? I came here from the East Coast full of chain restaurants over a year ago, and I'm still eating at chain restaurants for the most part. I don't know where to find these "better and fresher locally owned alternatives" that don't cost far more than the chains.

Do I just randomly try things from Zagat? I have had good experiences with the local places I have tried... so I'd like more options.
Try Yelp. Most of the new places we (the GF and I) try are from just walking around a neighborhood and saying "Oh, that looks cute, and it's new. Let's put it on the 'to-do' list." Ballard, Fremont, Belltown, and Capitol Hill are especially ripe with locally owned joints. Some of my personal favorites are:

35th Street Bistro (Fremont)
Volterra (Ballard)
Pink Door (Pike Place Market)
Machiavelli (Capitol Hill)
611 Supreme (Capitol Hill)
Via Tribunali (Ok, this one *is* a chain - but a local chain)
El Chupacabra (Phinney Ridge)
Le Carte De Oaxaca (Ballard)
Salumi (Pioneer Square/ID'ish)
Tamarind Tree (International District)
Txori (Belltown)

I could go on and on, but then the list becomes more and more spendy. Seriously, give Yelp a shot.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:28 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post

Zagat's a start. Also:

Urbanspoon

Yelp

Where the Locals Eat dot com

Old 06-01-2009, 05:42 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,532,885 times
I would have to add to my list that if you were going to do a long day trip, Whidbey Island is terrific! Esp. loved Deception Pass. I would jump on the ferry in Mulkiteo and drive from the south end to the north and stop at a few things along the way that interest you. You would not have time to do it all in a day anyway. We stopped in Langley, Ft. Casey, Coupeville and then went on to Deception Pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area