Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 04:11 PM

66 posts, read 162,025 times

Advertisements

Okay so we move in just under a month, loved the trip we took out there last week, your city is as beautiful as it is amazing (and in 3-D compared to flat Florida!)

We're flying out our cats to a home we're renting and they will have vet health certification and proof of being up to date on rabies.

A few questions - Are there any unique state laws related to pets I should be aware of? An actual pet limit? Other required vaccinations? Eventually we may consider getting a dog but only once I find work and are more financially secure.

I'd sure love to have a pup to keep me company walking those hills!

I'm relatively certain we have everything squared away but just want to cross the t's and dot the i's, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 09:56 PM

328 posts, read 839,000 times
Welcome to Seattle!

It will depend upon what type of home you're in. Generally in the city it will be between three and five small animals. Here is a link that may be of help. This particular code does not address dogs or cats specifically but I think it's between three and five. I'm trying to find something specific.

Good luck with the kitties!

Seattle Municipal Code

Last edited by rmkiefer07; 06-15-2009 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: context

Old 06-17-2009, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the link. The good news is I could also be a registered bee keeper. Lol.

Definitely looks like I'm fine for now so thats great news!

Old 06-17-2009, 07:27 PM

328 posts, read 839,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisstie View Post
Thanks for the link. The good news is I could also be a registered bee keeper. Lol.

Definitely looks like I'm fine for now so thats great news!
...and if you have a brush problem (blackberries are particlularly bad)....the goat comes in real handy!

Old 06-18-2009, 06:47 PM

Yeah who needs a lawnmower when you have a goat, pfft.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:11 PM

300 posts, read 1,211,007 times
Lawnmower rental guy just doesn't sound as snappy.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:01 AM

204 posts, read 813,748 times
The code does seem to be strict about beekeeping. I have a few boxes and beyond just 5 or 6 feet from the box the bees are not noticed. 25' is a severe setback. Bees are our friends.

Concerning cats, there seem to be less "crazy cat ladies" in Seattle than other cities. But I could be wrong.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:34 PM

50 posts, read 168,044 times
Quote:
Okay so we move in just under a month, loved the trip we took out there last week, your city is as beautiful as it is amazing (and in 3-D compared to flat Florida!)

We're flying out our cats to a home we're renting and they will have vet health certification and proof of being up to date on rabies.

A few questions - Are there any unique state laws related to pets I should be aware of? An actual pet limit? Other required vaccinations? Eventually we may consider getting a dog but only once I find work and are more financially secure.

I'm relatively certain we have everything squared away but just want to cross the t's and dot the i's, thanks!
Hi. I have a question about your cats and their flight out West. Are you going to use a tranquilizer for them? Was a tranquilizer recommended? Is the flight affordable?

I'm asking because I have two cats and am considering a move from Florida to the West Coast. I've thought about flying them out there if I decide not to travel by car. I believe my 5-year-old boy cat would be fine on a plane, but I'm more concerned about my 10-year-old girl cat who pretty much has a fit and acts craaazy whenever she travels (so far by car).

I plan to talk with my vet to see which course of action to take, but I was wondering if your vet recommended any kind of tranquilizer ro keep the cats calm during their trip or if he/she cautioned against airplane noise, turbulence, etc., that could scare your cats. I have read up on usage of tranquilizers and there seems to be mixed opinions about whether they should be used at all, esp. where the age of the cat is concerned.

I know the moving experience will be upsetting to them as it is. I want to do what I can to make their move a little less traumatic.

Any advice you could give would be much appreciated. I look forward to hearing about your experiences. I want to adopt a third cat, but my friends and family probably won't talk to me anymore if I do! One day, I will, and I may be too far away for them to do anything about it! Thanks!

Old 06-22-2009, 06:32 AM

59 posts, read 224,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parle75 View Post
Hi. I have a question about your cats and their flight out West. Are you going to use a tranquilizer for them? Was a tranquilizer recommended? Is the flight affordable?

I'm asking because I have two cats and am considering a move from Florida to the West Coast. I've thought about flying them out there if I decide not to travel by car. I believe my 5-year-old boy cat would be fine on a plane, but I'm more concerned about my 10-year-old girl cat who pretty much has a fit and acts craaazy whenever she travels (so far by car).

I plan to talk with my vet to see which course of action to take, but I was wondering if your vet recommended any kind of tranquilizer ro keep the cats calm during their trip or if he/she cautioned against airplane noise, turbulence, etc., that could scare your cats.
Acepromazine knocked my cat out on our cross country flight (in cabin, under seat). We've also used it on day long car trips. Whether to use it or not probably depends on how your cat reacts to traveling. Ours hates it.

Acepromazine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-22-2009, 06:38 AM

59 posts, read 224,066 times
Quote:

Some good news, compared to Florida - no fleas, no ticks, and heartworm is very rare.

...hardly any mosquitoes either.

Edit to add: the people around here who think there are lot of these pests never lived in Florida or anywhere else in the Southeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: