Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 06:16 PM

3 posts, read 9,266 times

Advertisements

Hey there, I am new to this site and have never used forums before so bare with me here haha. I am thinking of moving to Seattle very soon, before september most likely. I hesitate only because I fear of having trouble meeting and making new friends in a unfamiliar area. I am a twenty two year old straight male looking for peace in my life. What is the best way for me to make new friends or get involved if I choose to take the leap of faith? Thank you for your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 08:24 PM

426 posts, read 1,736,659 times
You and I are both in the same boat. I'm very tentatively planning on moving to Seattle for the same reason: I need "peace," and Seattle seems to fit me more than any other season I can think of. However, look into the "Seattle Freeze." From what I've heard, making friends in Seattle is very difficult because most people are introverted, socially anxious, and reserved. Of course, the best way to meet people is to put yourself out there, get involved in things that you are genuinely interested in (so as not to only be in the group to try and make friends), pick up a hobby or two, etc etc. The same way people make friends anywhere, really.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:04 PM

854 posts, read 4,142,253 times
I like meetup.com.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:18 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,537,341 times
I honestly think it's harder to make friends in your 20's in general no matter which city you live in. You don't necessarily have something as easily in common such as school, sports, etc. as we all did in HS and college and people in their 20's are generally starting out new jobs or careers and are working pretty hard. At least that's what my life was like so many moon years ago in Denver in my 20's. So you do need to think about your hobbies and what you like to do. There are plenty of clubs for outdoors things in Seattle for sure (running, triathlon, sailing are ones we have become involved with). I personally have not experienced the Freeze but I live in the suburbs and I have young kids so it's really easy to make friends because kids are a great icebreaker. You could always get a puppy to break the ice with strangers! Seattleites love their dogs!!

Old 06-30-2009, 12:54 AM

234 posts, read 499,307 times
I moved to Seattle in my mid 20's and had absolutely NO problems making friends. I don't get the whole Seattle freeze thing. I have been all over the U.S. and think Seattle is one of the most friendly areas in the country. I'm in my late 30's now, so perhaps the freeze thing is only a recent phenomenom. Anyways, I don't know if you are athletic or not, but when I moved to town I met a lot of friends by signing up for a softball league and playing pickup basketball around town. Volunteering would be another great way to meet people. Also, try to live in a pedestrian friendly area with lots of people your age such as Capitol Hill, Queen Anne, Ballard, Belltown, or the U District. Good luck!

Old 07-07-2009, 12:35 PM

13 posts, read 39,715 times
They all said it. Seattle's social culture is not as warm and chatty as other places further south, for instance, but if you engage people you'll find them to be very open, down to earth and friendly. There is some validity to that thing that comfortablynumb said about the "freeze", but that's not everybody. That aspect of the social culture bothers some people more than others, but if you yourself are friendly and even semi-outgoing you'll be fine.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 9,266 times
thank you to all of you for your help

Old 07-15-2009, 02:49 PM

370 posts, read 1,068,932 times
Default find a hobby

I had twenty some colleague that moved from Philly. She made a lot friends by engaging in extracurricular activities like soccer, running and other sports. I think you will be fine. Join a church group or a group like Toastmasters.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,028 times
I lived in Seattle till a few weeks ago, and I think the "Seattle Freeze" is an important issue, but not impossible to over come. You just need to put yourself out there more. Join clubs... underdog sports is a great way to meet people, so check them out. Also, the Seattle Free School puts on a lot of cool classes. Volunteering is another great way to meet people... Marra Farm for urban Gardening, or Youth In Focus for urban arts education are great places. And of course, ye old meetup.com.

Also, keep in mind that while the winters aren't that bad in terms of temperature, many people have issues with S.A.D.... basically a complete lack of sunshine making them all depressed and lethargic. Anticipate this and actively combat it, and you'll do fine. Ignore it, and in March you'll be trying to figure out why you've been in such a funk for the last few months. Make sure to get out to the mountains, snow shoe, and take a week vacation to the south west. This will keep you sane and happy. (the first year or two this might not be an issue... but after a while, it can be.)

So, good luck and have fun.... it's a great town.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:42 AM

13 posts, read 37,096 times
I'm also moving to Seattle in late August. I'm moving from Atlanta and I'm a 23 year old straight male. I'm a little worried about meeting people, but I do have 2 friends that live there, that I'll be living with, so it won't be that bad for me if I do have a little trouble starting out. I read the entire ridiculously long Seattle Freeze thread, and noticed the majority of the people complaining of this social disease were either middle aged, or already had a family and had trouble making friends with other families. There were a few 20 year olds here and there with complaints, but I don't anticipate having any real trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: