Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 11:05 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,321,549 times

Advertisements

I had the chance to watch the Barca-Sounders match on ESPN the other night and I was overwhelmed! Unbelievable! Qwest was sold out and the fans their were enthusiastically supporting the Sounders. I mean even after it was evident that they were going to get stomped! Incredible!

From what I hear, the MLS has been unbelievably impressed and moved by the overwhelming support that Seattle has for its team. The March to the Match, the marching band, the singing, all of supporters organizations, the banners...it's amazing. I'm really hoping that other cities follow in the future and I also hope that the world is watching. If the MLS gets better talent from overseas, it will undoubtedly be attributed to the passion and excitement generated by the Seattle fans. So as an American soccer (football!) afficionado, I want to say a big thank you to Seattle and you've just gained another fan here in Atlanta!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 08:37 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,363,370 times
You should have seen the crowd when Chelsea FC came here. We were totally outclassed, we didn't play our A game, but even then we held them to 2 goals. The fans, though, couldn't care less. We are totally behind our game!

That and I think soccer is a new sport, and die hard fans live here as this area is pretty outdoorsy, there's lots of pickup soccer and informal leagues, and many foreigners live here.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:34 AM

184 posts, read 551,855 times
The sport has always been big in the Pacific Northwest. Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver in particular have been big football (soccer) cities for decades. When Seattle was finally awarded their first pro team since the ancient NASL league the love for the sport exploded. The support was so huge that the MLS decided to award Portland and Vancouver the next teams in the league over the next two seasons. Word was out on how big the game is in this part of the continent.

Honestly, I know of no other region in the country where soccer competes neck and neck with the NFL in terms of fan base, loyalty, and excitment. Even in immigrant rich NYC the Giants, Jets, and Knicks still reign supreme. Red Bulls, who?? Here in Seattle the Seahawks have direct competition not from a baseball team, or a basketball team, or even a hockey team....but from a soccer team. In Portland and Vancouver their respective teams will be their number one clubs...even more popular than the Trailblazers in Portland.

And that you only find in the PNW. I am very proud of that fact...you can find me at pretty much every Sounders game going nuts with the rest of them!

Old 08-08-2009, 01:03 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,133,000 times
I was at the game and I think that the match with Chelsea was much more fun and much more interesting. Barcelona were too good for Sounders
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area