Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 03:39 AM

182 posts, read 323,335 times

Advertisements

So just curious, when people talk about the Northwest being "reserved", is that code word for having a stick up your a--? I'm not sure I've been to a place where people are seemingly offended by the use of a cell phone...in a public park. Strangely enough, the concept behind a cell phone is that you can make a phone call anytime, anywhere. But I digress, that was Portland.

I still love Seattle, but I can see where the "hard to make friends" sentiment comes from. People are very friendly, but you can sense the discomfort meter skyrocket when you engage past pleasantries. I'll take California for the people anyday, and the Northwest for a lot of other things. Too bad they can't be combined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 11:42 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoSD? View Post
So just curious, when people talk about the Northwest being "reserved", is that code word for having a stick up your a--? I'm not sure I've been to a place where people are seemingly offended by the use of a cell phone...in a public park. Strangely enough, the concept behind a cell phone is that you can make a phone call anytime, anywhere. But I digress, that was Portland.

I still love Seattle, but I can see where the "hard to make friends" sentiment comes from. People are very friendly, but you can sense the discomfort meter skyrocket when you engage past pleasantries. I'll take California for the people anyday, and the Northwest for a lot of other things. Too bad they can't be combined.

I've been in Seattle a total of 5 days. I knew I wasn't the only one who noticed this. But I saw that when on the bus (with like 40 to 50 people) almost none use their cell phone ever. Downtown, no one is talking on their cellphone either. I come from Atlanta. People are on their phone like 24/7 there. In Seattle they're not.

Now as far as being "reserved". Umm, anyone who thinks Seattle is reserved needs to make a trip out to the East Coast. That's reserved. I came to work with my slacks and slip on dress shoes, and everyone I see make it a point to tell me that "hey there's no dress code". I personally feel confident dressing up, dress code or not. In Atlanta, a lot of the places I worked also didn't have a dress code, but no one really gave you any crap for dressing up when you didn't have to. In Seattle, it's clear that it's not preferred if not enforced.

Overall, people don't seem reserved to me. They do seem quiet and to keep to themselves. In general, when you ask for directions, or ask info, people generally respond pleasantly. Hell anytime I tell people I just got here, I'm welcomed with a smile, and the people almost seem like they feel obligated to help me. As far as making friends, it couldn't be harder making friends in Seattle as it is in Atlanta. People are actually rude in Atlanta.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:54 PM

807 posts, read 2,258,559 times
Yeah I try to avoid using my phone in packed public places. No one here wants to be seen as arrogant or too extroverted (its that Asian influence plus its a city- people are very private). If someone is yapping away loudly, secretly everyone in earshot is annoyed- though they will never say they are.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:52 PM

It's funny, when I arrived back to California, I could feel a different energy in Safeway. I went back to talking to my GF or mom on the cell in the store. I noticed other people were too, or were talking to other people so they really didn't care.

But the most ironic moment came in my local coffee hangout down here. People were talking and for some reason out of nowhere there was about 5 minutes of downtime. The person sitting next to me turned to the barista and said, "huh, awkward silence" lol, as if everyone should be interacting. The barista then broke out in "words like violence, break the silence" (Depeche Mode?). My mind immediately went to the Northwest. In so many places it seemed like the "awkward silence" wasn't so awkward, but rather the norm. I wondered if the Depeche Mode rendition would have branded the barista as an arrogant Californian up there.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:18 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoSD? View Post
It's funny, when I arrived back to California, I could feel a different energy in Safeway. I went back to talking to my GF or mom on the cell in the store. I noticed other people were too, or were talking to other people so they really didn't care.

But the most ironic moment came in my local coffee hangout down here. People were talking and for some reason out of nowhere there was about 5 minutes of downtime. The person sitting next to me turned to the barista and said, "huh, awkward silence" lol, as if everyone should be interacting. The barista then broke out in "words like violence, break the silence" (Depeche Mode?). My mind immediately went to the Northwest. In so many places it seemed like the "awkward silence" wasn't so awkward, but rather the norm. I wondered if the Depeche Mode rendition would have branded the barista as an arrogant Californian up there.
"Enjoy The Silence" is the name of that song interestingly enough. Seattle definitely has a calmer, IMO more pleasant vibe to it. I think all of WA does as I noticed it in southern WA too. I actually enjoy the fact that people in WA aren't so damn yacky. Sometimes in CA, especially SoCal, people will talk just because they can.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:22 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post
Yeah I try to avoid using my phone in packed public places. No one here wants to be seen as arrogant or too extroverted (its that Asian influence plus its a city- people are very private). If someone is yapping away loudly, secretly everyone in earshot is annoyed- though they will never say they are.
No it isn't. Bay Area has a lot more Asians than Seattle and some of them are the ones on their phones. It's less prevalent than in SoCal but it's still here and has nothing to do with an Asian influence.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
"Enjoy The Silence" is the name of that song interestingly enough. Seattle definitely has a calmer, IMO more pleasant vibe to it. I think all of WA does as I noticed it in southern WA too. I actually enjoy the fact that people in WA aren't so damn yacky. Sometimes in CA, especially SoCal, people will talk just because they can.
Yah I guess different areas fit different personality types. I feel most comfortable in areas that are open and tolerant of any personality. You can be outgoing or introverted in Northern California. You can be pretty much whatever you want and people don't really care. That's why I enjoy living here so much. I agree that Seattle is a pretty relaxing place too.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post
Really, people who are downtown often work downtown. It's a small city, and we don't need our business to be made office gossip. I've walked through the city on the phone, but the thought of standing somewhere anyone could overhear my business makes me paranoid. And since it's not often done, one would just seem like one wished to be seen/heard on the phone/noticed in general.

I've noted to people on more than one occasion that etiquette in the Seattle area seems to be keeping to oneself unless otherwise solicited.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:35 PM

305 posts, read 450,182 times
I think it's bizarre when people in that city go immediately silent when a stranger is nearby, or when people don't speak to eachother above a whisper on the bus. I think it has a lot more to do with introversion/distrust of others than etiquette.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:38 PM

64 posts, read 134,115 times
You guys have me worried. I don't want to move up there and not be able to find/made friends because no one is willing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area