Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2009, 03:55 PM

8 posts, read 33,286 times

Advertisements

Hello - I currenlty live in California (Central) and am fed up with paycuts, work furloughs (I work for the government) and bad economy in California! I decided to move to Seattle. The job market looks good considering the economy and I love rainy cold weather. I was wondering what I could make as a legal secretary. I have 13 years experience working in all sorts of types of law, insurance defense, litigation, family law, probate, I have worked for the courts and county departments as a legal secretrary as well. The rents seem higher in Seattle than what I am used to paying. What kind of price range shall I ask for when interiewing for a job? We are on one income and I have 4 kids so I need to rent a 3 or 4 bedroom house. I am currenlty in a really nice 5 bedroom house (new) and only paying $1150 with a annual salary at $41,000. Can I make more in Seattle due to higher rents? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 09:19 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,703,067 times
In seattle - NO, but somewhere else in Washington, yes.

It's like asking will you make it in the Bay Area...NO...but you are doing fine in Central Calif.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:29 PM

51 posts, read 149,202 times
If it was just you or maybe just one child to take care of then maybe so with a 40k salary. But with 4 children and you need a 3-4 bedroom house, then I don't know.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:22 AM

8 posts, read 33,286 times
Yes I am doing good actually right now in California but I work for the County and they are doing cuts and furloughs. So now I am going to be getting a 2 day a month furlough for the next six months and then possibly another 1 or 2 days after that!

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSES - I REALLY DO APPRECIATE IT!

Old 12-12-2009, 12:55 AM

48 posts, read 204,772 times
Let me put it this way: I didn't know it was possible anywhere in the country to rent a 5 bedroom new home for $1,150/mo, even in a place as deserted as Wyoming or in a place as cheap as Texas. Stay where you are, you won't find anything better than that anywhere in the country.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:39 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
With that salary and number of children, you should qualify for some housing assistance, food stamps and other government assistance programs here. You may be wondering why I mentioned this. $40K doesn't get a you a lot in Seattle.

Seattle....running out one poor person at a time. Soon, it will all be rich people. The guy making your burger will be bussed in from some other, non rich place.

Temporary Assistance to Needy FamiliesYou MAY NOT be eligible because:Too much income.

Basic Food ProgramYou MAY be eligible.

Working Connections Child CareYou MAY be eligible.

Medical Assistance (Medicaid)You MAY be eligible.

Apple Health for KidsYou MAY be eligible.

Childrens MedicaidYou MAY be eligible.

Early Childhood Education and Assistance ProgramYou MAY NOT be eligible because:Too much income. There are exceptions for special needs and TANF clients.

HeadstartYou MAY NOT be eligible because:Too much income. There are exceptions for special needs and TANF clients.

WIC (Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children) 1-800-322-2588 You may be eligible, if pregnant or children under 5 years old.

WTAP (Washington Telephone Assistance Program) You MAY be eligible, if you get other DSHS services.

Child Support Services You MAY be eligible, if any of your children do not reside with one or both parents.

Now, why did I link all that? Well, there's a handy calculator there. If you are not on public assistance, and do not want to be on public assistance, or even want to think that you'd ever qualify for public assistance....go the food stamp web page. They have a calculator there. Plug in numbers until you dont' qualify for assistance. Be amazed at how high that number is. Then figure out your hourly "Need to make this much so I need to ask for this much" number.

It's shocking how high that number is...to some people...at first. Then you go downtown and see how much things really cost here and you think, 'Ah, thats why. A dinner for 4 + tip is an easy 60 bucks." Hrmm... 3 bedroom apartment in Issaquah is $1400 a month..... Hrmmmm... Hrmmm...

Hrmmmmm....

Old 12-12-2009, 08:22 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Wow, you folks should advertise that more so you can attract hordes of other disaffected Californians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: