Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 10:24 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,141,552 times

Advertisements

I've lived all over the US (prior military), and settling in Western Washington was a conscious choice for us because of the high quality of life here. I live in the Olympia area and I'm very happy with the amenities, schools and geography. Seattle is just an hour and 15 minutes away and Portland an hour and 45 minutes. I feel safe here (I don't live in a gated community) homes are still affordable and find the people friendly.
Just my 2 cents.

Sandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 01:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,902 times
If you like web feet, the west side of the state of WA is for you. Wa st is one of the most verstal in the union. We have rain forest, Olympia Nat. forest, largest ferry fleet in nation. Arid dry areas irrigated thanks to Grand Coulee Dam in Pasco Moses lake Area. Some of the best fruit growing in Yakima Valley, Wenatchee apple capital of the world, Okanogan country. Great fishing and hunting, every thing you could ask for outdoors.
The gem, I live there is eastern wa. two hrs to hot springs in British Columbia, one to two hrs to three huge lakes, Priest, Pond O Ray and Couer d Alene Idaho. I live north of Spokane 20 miles Deer Park WA. Best real estate buys in WA or Pan Handle of Idaho.

The Cascade mountain range gives us great moisture and we are very comfortable with rain fall, moderate snow. Great four seasons and a little bit of every thing for you.
We have new 18 hole golf course with new houses $214 to over $500 or what you want to pay. Excellent air port with 400 acres to the west starting to develop. New elementary school, remodeled 5yr ago middle sch, and remodel 8yr Jr. Hi. Hi Sch will start $30m remodel in 2008. Even with all of that we have decent property taxs. I can drive to downtown Spokane in 35 to 40 min. You can live on 10 to larger acreage or in Deer Park on 1 to 3 lots per dwelling. My hanging petunias did not frost until the 6th of Nov. We are thus far not experiencing crime problems other areas are. Good citizenry and involved people, check out Deer Park.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:50 AM

9,892 posts, read 10,831,381 times
one thing that you want to consider is where you will be working or going to school in relation to where you live, TRAFFIC is unbearable just about everywhere in western wash, people are moving further out because that is the only place they can afford a home and then have a nightmare commute morning and night.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:23 AM

339 posts, read 1,167,546 times
Things I miss about Washington:
The Olympic Peninsula
Great Schools
Taking the Ferry to Vancouver
Pikes Place Market
Fields of tulips
Diverse Culture
Great Software Jobs - I miss Microsoft
The cascades in the fall
Mt. Raineer
The San Juan Islands

Things I don't miss:
Traffic - 2 hours to go 20 miles
9 months of rain
The cost of housing
Mold
Alergies

Old 12-05-2007, 12:28 PM

73 posts, read 307,205 times
We love the rain, too! (Although this week with record rainfall, it did take us to the extremes. )
Sumner is one of the best cities to live in the state of WA, in my opinion.

I have lived in WA for 18 years in the following cities: Mountlake Terrace (7 mos.), Seattle - Queen Anne district-YUCK!- (4 mos), Federal way (3 mos), Sequim (9 mos), Puyallup (4 yrs) and finally with my husband in Sumner for 12 years.
We've raised our children in Sumner and love it. We homeschool and have found it to be very supportive of homeschoolers.

We love it here - everything is close by, we have a small town feel, but we're only about 30-40 min. from tacoma and seattle area attractions.
Low crime, beautiful parks, small tourist downtown with antique shops, rivers on both sides of town, train station, beautiful views of Mt. Rainier, community involvement.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:10 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,444,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavin_florida View Post
Things I miss about Washington:
The Olympic Peninsula
Great Schools
Taking the Ferry to Vancouver
Pikes Place Market
Fields of tulips
Diverse Culture
Great Software Jobs - I miss Microsoft
The cascades in the fall
Mt. Raineer
The San Juan Islands

Things I don't miss:
Traffic - 2 hours to go 20 miles
9 months of rain
The cost of housing
Mold
Alergies
Don't leave Florida I did and regret it everyday.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:48 AM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,894,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Don't leave Florida I did and regret it everyday.
So sorry to hear your move didn't turn out to be the right thing for you. I remember reading your posts last spring when you were struggling with the difficult decision to relocate, because we were preparing for our move here at the same time.

For the other side of the coin, not everyone has a negative experience moving from FL to WA. My husband and I left Florida in July for western Washington and have not regretted it for a second. We both love it here and feel very much at home--however I would never say that it's right for everyone, just as Florida is not a good fit for everyone.

Success in acclimating anywhere is completely dependent on individual circumstances. I think the reasons for moving are sometimes a good predictor, especially whether you're moving to something...or away from something. We were moving to be closer to family in Washington, rather than moving away from anything in Florida (well, except maybe those pesky love bugs! ).

Good luck finding your perfect place!

Lynn

Old 12-06-2007, 05:50 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,444,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post
So sorry to hear your move didn't turn out to be the right thing for you. I remember reading your posts last spring when you were struggling with the difficult decision to relocate, because we were preparing for our move here at the same time.

For the other side of the coin, not everyone has a negative experience moving from FL to WA. My husband and I left Florida in July for western Washington and have not regretted it for a second. We both love it here and feel very much at home--however I would never say that it's right for everyone, just as Florida is not a good fit for everyone.

Success in acclimating anywhere is completely dependent on individual circumstances. I think the reasons for moving are sometimes a good predictor, especially whether you're moving to something...or away from something. We were moving to be closer to family in Washington, rather than moving away from anything in Florida (well, except maybe those pesky love bugs! ).

Good luck finding your perfect place!

Lynn
I am glad you are happy here in Washington. I guess, as we know, it all comes down to personal preference. Florida has always been my heart and still is but employment was the main factor in my leaving there. But even worse than the gloom and doom and rain here in Washington is the fact it is taking its toll on me physically. Each day, my osteoarthritis gets worse and worse. I cant stay here or I will end up in a wheelchair.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:26 PM

6 posts, read 20,068 times
I've always heard great things about Austin.

Neither Kent nor Renton are particularly nice areas, generally-speaking.

Traffic/commuting is bad in Seattle, but something to keep in perspective. I've had several people gasp when I tell them where I live/work (~17 miles/20 minutes), even though it's shorter than average for the big east coast city where I used to live.

Public schools' quality tends to mirror the demographics of the area. The schools are chronically underfunded, but the K-12 teachers I've met are pretty bright and seem dedicated.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 6,782 times
Smile Don't write off whole state

Arthritis can, and will, hit you anywhere you live. I've osteoarthritis, two total knee replacements, two rotator cuff repairs, etc. etc. I've lived in Florida (hated it) and California (loved it, not the cost of living). I now live in Spokane. Don't write off the whole state because of weather in western WA. Spokane's weather is a lot different than Seattle's. Yes, we get lots colder in the winter, but I have a warm house and warm clothing. It's a beautiful area with much, much better traffic control. What Spokane people call the rush hour, hardly qualifies. I've seen more traffic at 2:00AM in Sacramento than we see at 5:00PM here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area