Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 01:56 PM

197 posts, read 612,791 times

Advertisements

Moosh,
"Open-minded" Seattle-ites are kind of a paradox. Conservatives are referred to as "those people," "closed-minded," "oppressive," etc.
A good example of this was in a post a few days back by a liberal poster wanting to not live next to "flag-waving, conservative hillbillies." No one called this person out on their own hypocracy and lack of "open-mindedness." And a few reinforced this way of thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 02:12 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username22 View Post
Agntcooper- If you move here to Seattle I hope you drink the Cool-Aid. There are a few things you will need to spend money on if you move here not yet mentioned on this thread:

1) Bumper stickers for you car:

A) "All war is terrorism"
B) "Impeach Bush"
C) "Jesus is a Democrat"
D) "Free Tibet" (I'm for this, but hey, I'm for imposing American democracy in far-away countries.)

1) Monthly bus pass and two bicycles-

A) The bus pass is a status symbol to show you are "green" but you don't actually use it. Everyone drives their own car and few people carpool anymore. Useful bus routes are being eliminated every day and billions (with a "b") are being spent and borrowed for pavement projects to move vehicles.

B) Because of rain, hills, and poorly planned, and often dangerous bicycle lanes through traffic filled with drivers chatting and texting on their phones while sipping lattes, you will probably ride your bicycles on weekends only. Those I see on bicycles in rush hour look as though they cannot afford a car.

C) Because all City Councilmembers and the mayor belong to the same political party, either nothing big and important ever gets done because of their inability to make a decision, or it gets done at midnight when voters aren't watching. As a result, we get little "pocket parks" in busy neighborhoods to tout our green-mindedness, yet the same City Council will not release PCB test results for soil surrounding our Duwamish River, the second dirtiest in the whole country, for fear they would have to actually commit to cleaning and greening an area of significance.
Help me understand why you are complaining about everybody driving, few people carpooling, etc...yet you go on to say that the cyclists you see look as though they cannot afford a car...?

Old 03-03-2010, 02:35 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burlshoe114 View Post
Moosh,
"Open-minded" Seattle-ites are kind of a paradox. Conservatives are referred to as "those people," "closed-minded," "oppressive," etc.
A good example of this was in a post a few days back by a liberal poster wanting to not live next to "flag-waving, conservative hillbillies." No one called this person out on their own hypocracy and lack of "open-mindedness." And a few reinforced this way of thinking.
There is no point in arguing with someone like that. They won't see it for what it is because this is not a trait they will ascribe themselves. And something like that is bound to become an argument that will spill over. And for what? More bashing. The mods and other posters are doing a good job of making sure this board doesn't become overly hostile.

And to be fair, she never said "hill-billies", the term she use was: "red-necks". Washington does have red-necks types.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:57 PM

197 posts, read 612,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post

And to be fair, she never said "hill-billies", the term she use was: "red-necks". Washington does have red-necks types.
I stand corrected

Old 03-03-2010, 09:08 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burlshoe114 View Post
I stand corrected
Not enough sun to get a red neck.

I do see trucks with balls on them. If your truck has a scro-tum, I don't particularly want to interact with you.

Last edited by seattlenextyear; 03-03-2010 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: You can say balls but not scro-tum?

Old 03-03-2010, 11:01 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
You don't see a lot of those bumper stickers on the Eastside...which I guess is technically not Seattle. My husband also rarely drives and takes the bus 4 out of 5 days a week. People out here also ride bikes all days of the week...maybe because the Lake Sammamish loop is very popular. I have to say, you must make it out to the sticks of Issaquah and Sammamish...it's a whole other world out here. Might make you feel like you are on vacation to take a hike on Tiger Mtn or a paddle on Pine Lake.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:08 AM

264 posts, read 702,110 times
I think when it gets down to it, at least for my family, is that we're looking for a change of scenery that is more in tune to our lifestyle than where we live now. We're into camping, hiking, snowboarding & other things that aren't readily available in Texas. If I end up living next door to a leftie Commie pinko, then that's fine. Be a good neighbor, that's all I ask. Someone's politics means nothing as long as they're a good person. Believe me, my Libertarian views do not sit well with most folks in DFW (Personal liberty!?). I just choose not to push my views on others.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:40 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
I'd say that there are at least as many libertarians in the Seattle area as there are Republicans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverchris View Post
I think when it gets down to it, at least for my family, is that we're looking for a change of scenery that is more in tune to our lifestyle than where we live now. We're into camping, hiking, snowboarding & other things that aren't readily available in Texas. If I end up living next door to a leftie Commie pinko, then that's fine. Be a good neighbor, that's all I ask. Someone's politics means nothing as long as they're a good person. Believe me, my Libertarian views do not sit well with most folks in DFW (Personal liberty!?). I just choose not to push my views on others.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:33 AM

218 posts, read 580,308 times
Agncooper, Just wanted to chip in here. Our son in Seattle. There are LOTS of Texans in Seattle. Many of them engineers like our son who also like sports and lots of outdoor activities. Cost of living will be a shock for you so do your homework and be careful. Good luck to you !

Old 03-04-2010, 10:37 AM

218 posts, read 580,308 times
Funny, how the definition of "open minded" depends with some people if you agree with THEM. Then you are indeed "open minded."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area