Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:57 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times

Advertisements

We live in Sammamish and our kids who are 1st and 4th grade go to Issaquah schools. We moved to the area not quite 3 years ago and have found it to be very friendly and the schools to be excellent. We have a larger lot and live down the street from a nice little lake called Pine Lake. It's lovely to walk a 1/2 block and pop our canoe in. My husband commutes downtown using the bus. If you want planned communities in the Issaquah School District, there are many such as Issaquah Highlands, Klahanie and Trossachs but only IH is "walkable" and that would be to a cluster of stores built in IH. It is very close to a large Park N Ride though. Someone mentioned that elementary schools would be likely to change but middle school and highschools you wouldn't...not entirely the case as they are converting the 9th grade campus to a middle school and it is not far from Beaver Lake Middle which currently is fed by those neighborhoods. You also have the possibility of being split in highschools between Issaquah High School and Skyline. Both are excellent as are the middle schools. Part of Sammamish in the Lake Washington School district which is also very good but you will want to pay attention to that. If you want a planned community that is upscale, my preference would be Trossachs. IH is beautiful but is just too congested IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 10:36 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch2 View Post
You will also find weather in England to be very similuar to Seattle weather.
similar in spring and fall, but Seattle has way better summers

Old 04-06-2010, 01:32 PM

4 posts, read 7,218 times
You may be interested to know that Juanita High School in Kirkland was just named a Cambridge International Center. They will be offering the Cambridge program, which provides the preparation for taking the international version of the A levels. The first class will give preference to those living in the neighborhoods that feed Juanita High School, but it will be open to all students in Lake Washington School District (Kirkland, Redmond and about half of Sammamish). You can find more information on the school district at www.lwsd.org.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:42 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
Sorry, I probably also need to mention Klahanie in Issaquah as "walkable" but again it's more to a shopping center in the subdivision.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:20 PM

127 posts, read 401,431 times
Thanks texastrigirl. I like the look of the Klahanie neighbourhood from what I can see on Google Streetview. Pine Lake looks nice too, but in both neighbourhoods it seems to be quite a walk to get to the bus stops. Perhaps I need a good (British made ;-) folding bicycle!

Also do children take buses to their Middle & High schools ?

I accepted the job offer yesterday. So Seattle here we come ....

Old 04-08-2010, 12:11 AM

204 posts, read 813,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyLaddy View Post
Are we mad ???

My kids are aged 14, 12, 6 and 2. So schooling is one of our major priorities.
Issaquah has excellent schools.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,016 times
I live in Kirkland on the Eastside which is really lovely. Is your employer not paying for relocation? usually they give you a househunting trip. The schools in Lake Washington area are very good. And Kirkland definitely has that small town feel to it. Best of luck with it we have come from Ireland with 2 small kids but are looking to go home - not a big fan of Seattle but each to their own I agree with whoever posted that neighbours can be isolationalist (is that actually a word) that's one of the reasons were going home!

Old 04-08-2010, 01:20 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyLaddy View Post
Thanks texastrigirl. I like the look of the Klahanie neighbourhood from what I can see on Google Streetview. Pine Lake looks nice too, but in both neighbourhoods it seems to be quite a walk to get to the bus stops. Perhaps I need a good (British made ;-) folding bicycle!

Also do children take buses to their Middle & High schools ?

I accepted the job offer yesterday. So Seattle here we come ....
Normally, if a child lives more than a mile away from a school, he'd be using a school bus.

In Bellevue SD (in my day, I graduated from Newport HS in '00), for the HS students, they give them a (unlimited) metro bus card and students use the bus to go to school. Metro would already have a route for those students in various areas (and of course, adults could use it too). Elementary and Middle schools had the yellow school buses. I'm not sure if Issaquah SD ever chose to follow this route.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:06 PM

260 posts, read 768,664 times
bainbridge island is a 35 min. ferry ride to downtown Seattle

Old 04-10-2010, 10:16 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
If you can find affordable housing consider Bainbridge Island. The schools are top notch, the local library excellent. Take the bus (or ride a bike) to the ferry and you have a short walk to work. WiFi is available on the ferry, many start the workday that way. There is a 'silent' lounge' for those who appreciate getting away from the chatter. The only drawback is getting to the airport is time consuming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area