Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2007, 12:50 PM

2 posts, read 8,821 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping someone would be willing to help me! I'm writing a story that takes place in Seattle and I need a little help figuring out where some of the characters would live (right now a trip to Seattle is not an option ). Please, Please, Pleae!

Where would you live if you were...

~A prominant and snooty wealthy business businesman who works downtown who has annoying hip teen daugthers (prefer to live in Seattle proper, someplace hip and expensive...) Has lived in the area for a long time, but not necessarily that particular house. (where are the "fancy" neighborhoods and the "hip" neighboors anyway....)

~A family who wants a large house (lots of kids) and some acreage, suburbs/outskirts alright. Both parents work in the government center area. Prefer lots of trees/forest/privacy. Very real, low key. Dad's on call alot...
Moved to the area from the east coast 3-4 years ago.

~A powerful old family who has a mansion and hundreds of acres. Privacy and saftey (and trees) more importat than closess to the city. Dad works downtown, when he bothers to go into the office. Daughter goes to the same fancy private school with the girls from the other two families listed above. Has lived in the house for generations...

~A high profile bachelor playboy and his entorage who want a good view of the water, and a big gated bachelor pad (with huge gate etc) He doesn't exactly work...but enjoys nightlife.... Lenght of time in residence could vary...it could be an ansertral home or it could be a new-ish lavish purchace....

Oh, and none of them live on Vashon or Bainbridge...

Thank you so much for your help!!

Last edited by snolili; 06-12-2007 at 01:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 11:36 PM

37 posts, read 122,788 times
Family #1 might live in Bellevue or Mercer Island

Bachelor #4 might live in Kirkland???

The other two are tough because you have to go WAY out of Seattle to find acerage. Snohomish? Duvall?

Old 06-14-2007, 11:55 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,045,111 times
1. ...hip? man, that's a tough one. Madison Park, Leschi, Windermere, THE Highlands (near Richmond Beach)?

2. Woodinville or Duvall ?

3. Mansion with hundreds of acres? ...this is Seattle, not Dallas! hmmmm, even I'm stumped on that one.

4. Huge gated place with view of water? ...Seattle isn't LA or Beverly Hills! West Seattle/Alki? or as Twincerely said, Kirkland?

Old 06-15-2007, 08:02 AM

37 posts, read 122,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
1. ...hip? man, that's a tough one. Madison Park, Leschi, Windermere, THE Highlands (near Richmond Beach)?

2. Woodinville or Duvall ?

3. Mansion with hundreds of acres? ...this is Seattle, not Dallas! hmmmm, even I'm stumped on that one.

4. Huge gated place with view of water? ...Seattle isn't LA or Beverly Hills! West Seattle/Alki? or as Twincerely said, Kirkland?

Yeh I agree. No one has hundreds of acres.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:16 PM

269 posts, read 1,243,578 times
Yeah, the hundreds of acres thing doesn't happen, certainly not with the "generations" part. That kind of phenomenon isn't part of the history of this part of the country. Even "acreage" of any sort implies you're well outside of Seattle, for the most part.

If you can relax the "gated community" part, you might get #4 bachelor playboy guy in or near Richmond Beach (north of Seattle, along the Puget Sound). I know of very few gated communities in these parts ... there are a couple, but that's about all I know. That's a cultural dynamic that isn't really part of this area.

Family #1 might be on the west edge of Ballard, the Sunset Hill area. There's some pretty nice places with great views of Puget Sound west of 35th Ave W ... a map is deceptive because it doesn't show the steep rise from the flats down at Shilshole up into the expensive homes on Sunset Hill; the street map hints at the hill because you can see that very few streets go through from up above to down below ... they don't cross the tracks. The railroad (usually marked on the maps) runs right at the base of that hill. Those homes are on small lots (they won't have much of a yard) but the view is to die for.

Alternately, Laurelhurst is another high-end area that may be suitable for family #1.

I'm tempted to throw family #3 out on Mercer Island, but I have no real knowledge of MI. Never been off I-90 there.

I concur with 'rocco about putting family #2 out in Woodinville or Duvall. But man, I'd hate to be on call while living out there ... you're talking over an hour one-way into downtown from there.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:40 PM

40 posts, read 222,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snolili View Post

~A prominant and snooty wealthy business businesman who works downtown who has annoying hip teen daugthers (prefer to live in Seattle proper, someplace hip and expensive...) Has lived in the area for a long time, but not necessarily that particular house. (where are the "fancy" neighborhoods and the "hip" neighboors anyway....)
That could be a number of Seattle neighborhoods! Upper Queen Anne neighborhood near the area of Kerry Park is possibility. It's an old beautiful neighborhood built on a slope. Many of the homes are big stately structures, and have sweeping views looking down into downtown area of Seattle.

Another possibility is the Madrona - Washington Park area. Very expensive homes with views towards lake washington.

Madrona Craftsman For Sale (http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/rfs/351368654.html - broken link)
^ A small Madrona home - that an $800,000 home and probably on the low end of what you'll find in Madrona.
FSBO AMAZING NEW CRAFTSMAN HOME W/ STUNNING LAKE AND MTN VIEWS!!!!!!! (http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/rfs/352056024.html - broken link)
Quote:
~A family who wants a large house (lots of kids) and some acreage, suburbs/outskirts alright. Both parents work in the government center area. Prefer lots of trees/forest/privacy. Very real, low key. Dad's on call alot...
This would have to be suburbs or outskirts to get acreage. One possibility is maybe somewhere in the city of Edmonds.?? Another possibility is that the family lives in the quaint town of Port Orchard in Kitsap County and since the parents are in "government" they take the Bremerton-Seattle Ferry every day into downtown and work downtown. Perhaps they work in the Administration Building on 4th & James which means since they're right downtown they could commute by ferry.

Is this a family that has plenty of money for a more posh place, or a more modest outlying city?

If the family has money (it sounds like you mostly have wealthy characters - you haven't asked about any of Seattle's blue collar neighborhoods! LOL) -and I mean this would have to a be rich family - you could put them in the Woodway area - a very small town just north of Seattle with large expensive homes.

If this is a more normal family, but they're seeking trees and privacy, but they're not necessarily rolling in the dough, the town of Woodinville might be a good fit. Woodinville or Duvall or Bothell all are still fairly green and woodsy and you might be able to get a home on an acre - I'm thinking of something like this -http://www.gregandsunny.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=detail&startrow=14 (Hope that link works).
Open House | Saturday 6/16 1pm-4pm (http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/rfs/353233665.html - broken link)
^ That home is on almost one acre
Woodinville 1-Owner Restful Retreat On Private Horse Acre!! (http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/rfs/351393493.html - broken link)

Quote:
~A powerful old family who has a mansion and hundreds of acres. Privacy and saftey (and trees) more importat than closess to the city. Dad works downtown, when he bothers to go into the office. Daughter goes to the same fancy private school with the girls from the other two families listed above. Has lived in the house for generations...
There is only one Seattle neighborhood that I can think of that even comes close to what you're describing above and it is the Highlands.

The Highlands is a very old gated very self-contained community at the very north western edge of the City of Seattle. It's a strange place to me - like another universe within Seattle. I've never been in it. Years ago when I worked in a dental office we had one very old patient who came from the Highlands to see us, and when we sent her mail, as I recall, it was only sent to her name, and "the highlands" and then the city and zip with no street address. The Highlands has (or at least had) their own mail service, so mail only goes to the gate.

I've heard it said that in order for the county to assess the value of the homes in the Highlands they essentially fly helicopters over the properties. I'm not sure if that's because the properties are so huge or because it's so hard to get in the gates. ???

I was browsing homes for sale for my first entry above for Queen Anne, and stumbled upon a real estate listing for a home in the Highlands, and it was listed for 15 million.

Here's the description of the home: The Highlands, Seattle Real Estate, King County, WA
Price: $15,000,000, Beds: 8, Baths: 9.00, SqFt: 16,490
The Georgian Estate at the Highlands. Perched atop the bluff, the historic estate offers sweeping views of the Sound & Olympic Mountains. A master work by renowned architect Charles Platt. The exemplar of 1920s grandeur: ballroom, theatre, and gourmet kitchen. North & south wings with array of stately bedroom suites. Master with Carrera marble, spa bath and sun terrace. Private screening room, wine cellar. The forest and sculptured gardens create an ever private piece of the world on 7.26 acres.

You want find any place in Seattle with hundreds of acres, and the level of pretentiousness that you seem to be describing is combined with the idea that it is "old" money really only gives you a limited number of locales. My understanding is that the Highlands is a place of old money.
Redfin Sweet Digs Seattle: Seattle real estate blog focusing on hot properties and current market trends.
^ More on the Highlands - again no addresses needed because it's so prestigious.
The Seattle Times: Pacific Northwest Magazine
^ Scroll way down to the one very short paragraph on the Highlands describing it as a gate enclave where the Boeings lived.

Quote:

~A high profile bachelor playboy and his entorage who want a good view of the water, and a big gated bachelor pad (with huge gate etc) He doesn't exactly work...but enjoys nightlife.... Lenght of time in residence could vary...it could be an ansertral home or it could be a new-ish lavish purchace....
That's Belltown, downtown, or Capitol Hill - sort of - again - "gated neighborhoods" are almost completely an unknown thing in Seattle. If you want a bachelor with a water view home, you'd think of a large luxury condo probably and not a free standing home. If you want someone who has money and wants to enjoy nightlife in a home, that bachelor might live in a large Volunteer Park area home of Capitol Hill, but I'd definitely imagine this kind of high profile bachelor in a luxury condo.

[/quote]

This link here gives the names of almost every luxury seattle neighborhood:

Seattle Luxury Homes - Neighborhoods (broken link)

I was looking for info on the Highlands and saw the Seattle actually has 2 gated communities - Broadmoor & The Highlands. I don't know anything about Broadmoor, but I just know the Highlands is probably the snootiest it gets.

Hope some of this helps. PM me if you want to talk more. I can easily help out with the blue collar neighborhoods!

Old 06-18-2007, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 8,821 times
Thank you so much everyone, I appriciate it! Especially the "this doesn't exist" since I want it to seem realistic and a trip to Seattle to play location dectitive on the horizon.

Quote:
The other two are tough because you have to go WAY out of Seattle to find acerage. Snohomish? Duvall?
Where can I find some info on Snohomish....

Quote:
Huge gated place with view of water? ...Seattle isn't LA or Beverly Hills! West Seattle/Alki? or as Twincerely said, Kirkland?
Ok, perhaps something more modest? If you had some housemates and wanted to be near the action but wanted some privacy (and inaccessibility) where would you live (no water view necessary it just sounded nice).

Quote:
Yeh I agree. No one has hundreds of acres.
Thanks! This is important. What would be more realistic?

Quote:
I'm tempted to throw family #3 out on Mercer Island, but I have no real knowledge of MI. Never been off I-90 there.
Cool! Where could I find out more info on Mercer Island....

Quote:
Another possibility is that the family lives in the quaint town of Port Orchard in Kitsap County and since the parents are in "government" they take the Bremerton-Seattle Ferry every day into downtown and work downtown. Perhaps they work in the Administration Building on 4th & James which means since they're right downtown they could commute by ferry.
Love it! What would the commute time be, about an hour?

Quote:
Is this a family that has plenty of money for a more posh place, or a more modest outlying city?
They are the most modest of the four character groups I mentions. Even if they could afford posh, they'd go for something simpler, and on the outskirts.

Quote:

Hope some of this helps. PM me if you want to talk more. I can easily help out with the blue collar neighborhoods!
Will do! Thanks for the offer. Not everyone in the story's rolling in the dough. I just didn't want to overwhelm everyone with all my questions in one post.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:28 PM

277 posts, read 1,298,705 times
Lotsa good answers here.

Here's my two cents:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snolili View Post
Hmm I'm thinking Madison Park. Although I'm not sure I'd describe it as "hip." To me, the more bohemian areas of town are "hip," for instance, hip and expensive is Belltown. But hey, that's just me.

Quote:
Hmm yes maybe Woodinville. Although, as others have pointed out, that's one helluva long way from Seattle for someone who is "on call." Maybe something like Union Hill Rd in Redmond, or the Issaquah plateau? Might be interesting to have something going on in Woodinville as its developing into a winery area (they don't grow grapes there, but they do make the juice there, and there's quite a few wineries now and they have yearly events).

Oh hey... how about Bridle Trails?

Quote:
yeah, problematic. Make that a mansion, maybe 5-10 acres max, not so old = Highlands. forget the generations thing. (I've been in there! Was invited to a party at one of the houses.) Older houses that are quite spectacular are on Magnolia bluff, Laurelhurst, and Mt Baker neighborhoods. None of these are on acreage though.

Quote:
I'd give this guy a penthouse downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area